Sandbag Training

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

Sandbag Training

Post by cws1992 »

Anyone train with sandbags as a form of conditioning? Looking to incorporate it into my conditioning protocol. I run OP I/A and do 2-3 HICs with 1-2 Es every week.

I'm a firefighter and I feel like sandbag training would be beneficial for my job but unsure how to make a HIC with some sandbags. Any ideas?

alottadav

Re: Sandbag Training

Post by alottadav »

I use them OFTEN.
Almost daily.

on MS days, I'll use them as a finisher for carries. I enjoy odd object training a lot. I'll carry them across the yard or do UP AND OVERs over the barbell on squat rack in the garage. Simulating lifting someone/something.

In the past I have done TOO much during my TB training so I'm scaling back and going more purist with it (like the books say to do.....)

on HIC days I use them in circuits. Sled pushes into sand bag over shoulder into KB farmers walk. Anything works. Get creative.
@strongcamps on instagram is a FANTASTIC page to get ideas for anything sandbag/mobility/ odd stuff

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

There are few sections in Ross book "ULTIMATE TRAINING FOR THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR" about sandbag training including drills and then some:
http://preventdisease.com/members/e-books/b30.pdf
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

rs12

Post by rs12 »

I do circuits with my sandbag. 1 min of shouldering, 1 min of zercher carry, 1 min of kettlebell swings, 1 min dips or pushups, rest 2 mins between circuits. I use a 100lb sandbag and it is brutal. I can only do 4 circuits thus far but my conditioning is improving rapidly.

I do this once or twice a week on my HIC days. You could swap out shouldering for clean and press if you want more upper body work. If you don't have a kettlebell you could swing a dumbbell or even the sandbag if you wanted to.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Running Fighter Bangkok my next block with a weekly sandbag SE session of four exercises: thrusters, bag of body parts, cleans, and get-ups. I'm looking forward to it.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I do sandbag stuff 8-)

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Running Fighter Bangkok my next block with a weekly sandbag SE session of four exercises: thrusters, bag of body parts, cleans, and get-ups. I'm looking forward to it.
What is “bag of body parts”? Is it similar to just cleaning it to your shoulder? I googled it and it came back as Halloween novelties and horror film stuff, pretty sure that’s not what you’re implying

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

mtguy1976 wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:Running Fighter Bangkok my next block with a weekly sandbag SE session of four exercises: thrusters, bag of body parts, cleans, and get-ups. I'm looking forward to it.
What is “bag of body parts”? Is it similar to just cleaning it to your shoulder? I googled it and it came back as Halloween novelties and horror film stuff, pretty sure that’s not what you’re implying
https://youtu.be/yN40m-bI6ys?t=1m45s

Essentially a nice full body core exercise. Got introduced to it by reading some of Pat McNamara's works, looking forward to giving it a go.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Great as a finisher, my favorite is bear hug carries for 10-15minute blocks, you can also do alternating shoulders, to cradle, to bear hug.

As an HIC exercise, burpee Shouldering, Snatch and catch, Sandbag loading onto a platform. (ross’s Sandbag dvd/online video and pdf covers just about all bases with regards to Sandbag training).

travman

Post by travman »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Essentially a nice full body core exercise. Got introduced to it by reading some of Pat McNamara's works, looking forward to giving it a go.
I was wondering if someone else in the TB community was aware of Pat McNamara's content. I hope to do some of his core stuff once I get more space.