Preparing for 1km running test.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ivan178

Preparing for 1km running test.

Post by ivan178 »

Hello all! I need to get 3.30min or less (3min would be a 10 score) in 1km PFT for police. This year I wasn't able to do it. The test will be on September/October next year.

I just started with BB, my E sessions will be LSS.

And on the week 6-8 for my HIC sessions I'm between doing 2 times the 600m reset (Don't know if is a good idea to repeat it.) Or doing 600m first day, then the 5km fast run on the second day.

Aaaand for the continuation protocol, what HICS would you use? Will do black protocol (the basic one i guess, with front squat+OHP+1xdeadlift (dont know if going full on deadlifts would be good)

I just want to improve my 1km time + doing more pull ups, (currently at 10[that's a 5 score], if I do 17 it will be a 10 score) for pull ups I'm doing GTG, paired with TB. Would be a good idea to do WPU for increasing the number?

So, for continuating I'll be doing 3 hics week 1, 2 hics week 2, then 3 hics easy at week 3.

For the Hics after BB, i'm between.

#3-600m resets
#2-5km fast run (maybe? I don't know if this will transfere to the 1km)
#12-Speed endurance ladders
#11-Oxygen debt 101
#20-Anaerobic capacity.

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

J-Madd

Re: Preparing for 1km running test.

Post by J-Madd »

ivan178 wrote:Hello all! I need to get 3.30min or less (3min would be a 10 score) in 1km PFT for police. This year I wasn't able to do it. The test will be on September/October next year.

I just started with BB, my E sessions will be LSS.

And on the week 6-8 for my HIC sessions I'm between doing 2 times the 600m reset (Don't know if is a good idea to repeat it.) Or doing 600m first day, then the 5km fast run on the second day.

Aaaand for the continuation protocol, what HICS would you use? Will do black protocol (the basic one i guess, with front squat+OHP+1xdeadlift (dont know if going full on deadlifts would be good)

I just want to improve my 1km time + doing more pull ups, (currently at 10[that's a 5 score], if I do 17 it will be a 10 score) for pull ups I'm doing GTG, paired with TB. Would be a good idea to do WPU for increasing the number?

So, for continuating I'll be doing 3 hics week 1, 2 hics week 2, then 3 hics easy at week 3.

For the Hics after BB, i'm between.

#3-600m resets
#2-5km fast run (maybe? I don't know if this will transfere to the 1km)
#12-Speed endurance ladders
#11-Oxygen debt 101
#20-Anaerobic capacity.

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

I dont' think there is a particularly bad choice on your list. If forced to pick three, I would go #3, #12, and #11. Once every other week I would replace one of those three with #2.

As far as weighted pull-ups to improve you bodyweight pull-ups goes, it's a great idea that works really well. If you have enough time before you test, I recommend doing a block or two of weighted pull-ups. If you are in more of a hurry, check out something like the Fighter Pull-Up program by Pavel.

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

J-Madd wrote:
I dont' think there is a particularly bad choice on your list. If forced to pick three, I would go #3, #12, and #11. Once every other week I would replace one of those three with #2.

As far as weighted pull-ups to improve you bodyweight pull-ups goes, it's a great idea that works really well. If you have enough time before you test, I recommend doing a block or two of weighted pull-ups. If you are in more of a hurry, check out something like the Fighter Pull-Up program by Pavel.
So would be a good idea to finish the 5 first weeks of bb doing gtg pull ups, then at 6th week add WPU into the cluster?
FS+OHP+WPU (I'd remove deadlifts then).

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

ivan178 wrote:#2-5km fast run (maybe? I don't know if this will transfere to the 1km) The ability to run 5km might not translate exactly to sprinting 1km, but it is 100% relevant to your preparation. It will maintain and build your endurance, which will allow you to hold speed during your workouts (e.g., reps 5 and 6 during 600m Resets). With that said, it is less important than being able to run really fast for 1km. Which (I assume) is why J-Madd tells you to use #2 only every other week.
I would get some Standard Issue Hills too. Hills are magic. Use them in the same way as Fast 5. A training tool to make you better at your event-specific sessions.

Can you post the exact events and standards of your PFT?
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

ivan178 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
I

So would be a good idea to finish the 5 first weeks of bb doing gtg pull ups, then at 6th week add WPU into the cluster?
FS+OHP+WPU (I'd remove deadlifts then).
Yes.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

close_fox wrote:
ivan178 wrote:#2-5km fast run (maybe? I don't know if this will transfere to the 1km) The ability to run 5km might not translate exactly to sprinting 1km, but it is 100% relevant to your preparation. It will maintain and build your endurance, which will allow you to hold speed during your workouts (e.g., reps 5 and 6 during 600m Resets). With that said, it is less important than being able to run really fast for 1km. Which (I assume) is why J-Madd tells you to use #2 only every other week.
Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking. The emphasis should be on the shorter distances (he's only going to run 1000m for the test), but I'd want him to work at longer distance occasionally to give his background endurance a touch of attention and so that 1K feels short.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I will add that basebuilding alone helped me a lot with my 880m timed runs. The last two years in a row I did a form of BB before my CFT and it got me to a 2:45 Sprint when three years ago it was at 3:00. You'll be in good shape with those hics and BB. Good luck, you'll meet those standards easily and exceed them.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Step 1: Base Building. Run (on real ground, not a treadmill) for your Es, don't do Triples etc.

Step 2: Continuation. Black (professional). Do 1 Fast 5, and one long run at a fast pace for your weekly E. For your third HIC choose between Hills, track sprints, SE ladders or MeatEater.

Base Building is just one step, it won't be enough to go the distance by itself. You have to add speed and you have to adapt to running while you're body's flooded with lactate. The tempo work in Continuation will do that.

Base Building builds you a bigger engine with more capacity, Continuation upgrades your cruising speed.

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

close_fox wrote:
I would get some Standard Issue Hills too. Hills are magic. Use them in the same way as Fast 5. A training tool to make you better at your event-specific sessions.

Can you post the exact events and standards of your PFT?
Hi! The exact PFT is this:

I need to get at least 15 score, divided in 3, will be my score. 15/3=5 score on total. Can't get a 0 on running for example, but have a 10 on circuit/pull ups. Need 1 at least on each test.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1km running with this scores: Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circuit:Image
with this scores:Image

And strict pull ups with this scores:Image

This year I got 10 pull ups, 10'3s on the circuit, (both 5) but on the Km run, I wasn't able to finish it (I pushed too hard for getting 3.24 or less, needed for that average 5 score).

So I wasn't able to join.

Btw my city is really flat, has like 0 hills.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

If I understand your post correctly, you have about nine months to train. You will crush this test if you maintain focus and train consistently. Do Basebuilding. Then run the HICs you need and include pull-ups in your cluster.

1km Run

Maxing a PFT run is about 1) focused training including practicing the actual PFT and 2) strategy during the test. Train your body to run the second 500m faster than the first 500m. This will ensure you can finish the test and have some gas in tank to push hard for the last 100m. 1km is a very fast run, but you can't hold a 100% effort for that long. As you found out during your last test. ;) I would bet your last performance was due to bad pacing, not a complete lack of running fitness. If you can do 10 pull-ups, you can get 1 point in the run.

Pull-ups

You have 10 pull-ups now. You can get to 17 easily in nine months with focused training (including weighted reps).

Shuttle Run

Practice the shuttle run 1x/week. This is not really a workout, just practicing the skill of doing the shuttle run. Building muscle memory. Set up the course and get about five reps. If you don't have cones, you can use empty cans.

Performance cues for the shuttle run:
1. No false steps. Don't shuffle your feet in place when you start moving and/or change directions. Explode with a single, powerful push from the correct leg.
2. Load your outside leg when changing directions. If you are cutting to the right, load the left leg, begin turning your hips and shoulders to the right, and explode to the right.
3. Drop your hips when changing directions. Like a performance car suspension. You can turn and change direction faster with a lower center of gravity.

PRACTICE THE PFT

At least once a month, self-test the PFT. Recreate the test conditions as best you can (inside vs. outside, time of day, etc.). Get at least one day of rest before your self-test. These practice session will give you confidence and accurately check your training progress.

You can get a more frequent approximate test by doing a shuttle run rep and a max set of pull-ups after your last 600m Reset rep.

PFT score strategy

Max your best event (pull-ups). Goal: 10 points. These will be your "insurance points" in case you slip a little on the run.

Improve your shuttle run. Goal: 7 points. You can pick up two points by regularly practicing the test and using the above performance cues.

Get to average in your worst event (1km run). Goal: 5 points. You can get there. Do your HICs and practice your pacing.

These are realistic goals, and will put you at a reliable average of 7.3. Giving you a good cushion on test day.

Good luck.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.