Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170514:
Just a short slow one today before work. 2 miles on the hilly loop around my neighborhood, 30# dry ruck, average 18:21 pace. I was hoping for four but between being up late last night due to a sick kid, waking up earlier than usual, and a bit of knee discomfort I decided two was plenty for the day. I've been slacking a bit on my ROMWOD and recovery in general, and it was showing today.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170515:
It's Police Memorial Day in the US today. Did some ROMWOD at about 0430 before work, and this evening I did SE Alpha, 3x30. Hard one today, no doubt. Total of 45 bodyweight chin-ups, 90 ruck push-ups, 90 ruck overhead lunges, 90 ruck goblet squats, and 90 two-handed swings with the 24kg. Ruck was 30# dry. More ROMWOD tonight I'm betting.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170517:
Dropped my boys off at AWANA and hit a quick 4 mile ruck on a nearby trail. Average pace 15:17, usual load. Beautiful night for it.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

I like the way you roll GJH! You have them in AWANA and MMA, I have a daughter that needs to meet them! :D

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Haha thanks GiGis Daddy! One of them is already reserved for a friend of mine's daughter (a beautiful and spunky little farm girl) but the other is up for grabs! After last year's Christmas requests they are the literal definition of "lovers and fighters". We only have web streaming TV services so they never see commercials, so last year for their big gifts they each wanted a new set of boxing gloves and a tuxedo :lol:

Missed one ruck PT session due to some badly needed overtime.

20170520:
Had several hours to myself today so I decided to tackle one of the Pathfinder challenges, specifically the 12 Mile Timed Ruck. Official goal is under 3:30, personal goal was under 3:00.

I threw some snacks in my pack and hit up a local trail. 30# rucksack plus 3L of water and snacks. Total time was 3:10:58, two brief pit stops prevented me from getting my personal goal but it was well within the requirements. That's 2/4 challenges and 35/75 miles in the first 3 weeks.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Good work GJH!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks GGD! A bit sore but the feet are good, so I call it a good win.

Might take an extra day off for some ROMWOD and rest, but then back to it. Ruck PT, a short ruck, maybe a fun run, and then the Level 2 Blackbeard Challenge this Saturday with another short ruck Sunday. It's a virtual challenge to raise money for the Matthew A. Pucino Foundation which is a non-profit that helps combat wounded vets and their families. It's also a challenge honoring SSG Matthew Pucino, USA Special Forces, who was KIA in November of 2009. $50 signs you up and gets you some swag, or you can just do it for fun and to honor a fallen soldier. Hoping to do the Level 3 next year.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Hoping to do the Level 3 next year.
Level 3 looks suicidal :D ..

I am reading through the site now. Makes me think and think and think. Great info, great story. Thanks for sharing the info. I think I will get into it one way or another.

Cheers.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

The only saving grace is you get to drop the weight for the exercises.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170524:
Another Ruck PT session. Eager to get my hands on a barbell very soon. SE Alpha, Week 1. 15 chin ups, 30 ruck push-ups, 30 ruck overhead lunges, 30 ruck goblet squats, and 30 two handed swings with a 24kg kettlebell.

20170525:
4 mile ruck with the usual load. The wife wanted to get one in as well so she rucked out for 4, then I picked her up, gave her the car, did 4 back. Naturally she went downhill the whole time, so I had uphill. 1:12:51 to finish, slow but steady.