VenomousCoffee's Training Log

VenomousCoffee

Re: VenomousCoffee's Training Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Tuesday 11/13
Meat Eater 2, 5 rounds

That's it. Taking off until I lift on Saturday. I'm feeling a little up in the air on the details of what my next block will be, but we'll see.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

So during my time off, I was still hesitating on what to do next. I feel like HIC is a major weakness for me, so of course my inclination is to double down on HIC and reduce E and Max S work. But then I started hesitating on committing to Fighter, because strength is such a natural ... um, strength for me, and I worried about moving too far away from it. I was even re-reading/skimming the books to refresh myself on the templates and their rationales.

And then this morning I hit it. I'm going to keep on Operator I/A but switch to the Grunt cluster: standing overhead press, front squat, pull-ups. That should leave me with enough energy to be able to do things like indoor rower or heavy bag resets after I lift. I also plan to clean up my diet in order to drop some of this bulk. The books really warn against undereating, but I probably took that too far. As it says somewhere in TB, you want to be Wolverine, not Hulk, and I'm definitely too far on the Hulk side.

And if this doesn't work out, the end of my block should coincide with Christmas pretty closely, so that's a natural time to change things up again. The fun starts tomorrow!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

First day of Op I/A, Grunt cluster

Front squat 235 5x5
OH Press 165 5x5
BW Pull-ups 5x5

Then a little rest

Indoor rower resets, 2 minutes on, 4 minutes-ish rest, x5 rounds

Everything felt a little rough today; I really felt those days off. But it's done and I'm back in it now.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Sunday 11/18
GC 6

Edit: 2 days into Thanksgiving break and I don't know what day it is.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Monday 11/19
Morning:
Front squat 225 5x5
OH Press 155 5x5
BW Pull-ups 5x5

Afternoon:
E session, 50 minute jog
Not actually sure of the time since I forgot to check my watch when I started, but it's in the ballpark.

I actually decided to run regular Operator Black instead of I/A this block, so I dropped the weights a smidge to adjust. Going to lift Sat, Mon, Wed, take Friday off. Want to do an easier HIC or E after I lift, but we'll see how it wears on me (I'm on vacation this week so I had the chance to space things out today). Last change to the program for this block, I'm promising myself. Time to just commit and do it.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Tuesday 11/20
GC1 x3 rounds

I wanted to have something on my stomach so I threw a protein scoop in a glass of water before I started. NB don't ever do that.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Tuesday 11/20
GC1 x3 rounds

I wanted to have something on my stomach so I threw a protein scoop in a glass of water before I started. NB don't ever do that.
Are you training fasted? I do. BCAA serves me well. I realize it’s not necessary but I can’t eat at 5AM. Protein powder can be brutal sometimes..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Wednesday 11/21
Front squat 225 5x5
OH Press 155 5x5
BW Pull-ups 5x5

Then a little rest

Indoor rower resets, 2 minutes on, 4 minutes-ish rest, x5 rounds
Barkadion wrote:

Are you training fasted? I do. BCAA serves me well. I realize it’s not necessary but I can’t eat at 5AM. Protein powder can be brutal sometimes..
I usually try to the follow the 'one hour' rule and I'm fine. Yesterday, it has been about 5 hours since I'd had lunch, plus I'd been drinking coffee all afternoon, so I thought I should put a little something on my stomach before doing the GC work. I think it was the protein mix combined with all the heavy breathing from the burpees that made me queasy.

But today, I drank my usual workout shake while lifting and then did the rower resets, and trust me, there was a lot of gasping for air at the end of each of those, but I didn't feel it. So who knows.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Thursday 11/22
Connaught Range 10 to 1s

My sprints might not have been sprints, but they most definitely were max efforts. This is one I really feel I need to make a regular thing.

Friday 11/23
Off

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Saturday 11/24
Morning
Front squat 245 5x5
OH Press 165 5x5
BW Pull-ups 5x5

Afternoon
GC 6