JZT's log

jzt

Re: JZT's log

Post by jzt »

Last day of week 6, which marks the ''end'' of Block 1.

I'm actually debating where to go from here, I'll post about it in the main forum for some advise. This week wasn't easy mostly due to time constraints with work, working 12h shifts almost all week and sleep was sub par, but I still managed. I had a day off for the last workout and it felt great.

I got a bit lazy with mobility, I'd like to fix that in the next block and set up a realistic goal, overall I'm still doing some, which is better than nothing. This week was particularly hectic though. I haven't stuck with a program for this long since 2010 and I really enjoy it because it's simple; no need to ramp up the weights, don't have to do 10+ sets, no ''upper/lower'' or ''push/pull'', no powerlifts, etc.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (76.39 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

jzt

Post by jzt »

https://youtu.be/F78qd6x8PP4 (not sure how to embed videos)

PRs after Block 1
Trap DL: 5x405 > 4x450 (+38lbs PR)
Press: 5x155 > 4x170 (+12lbs PR)
W Chin Ups: 5xBW+70 > 3xBW+90 (+10lbs PR)

BW: 207.2lbs > 212.4lbs

Next Block will last 12 weeks as I don't think I can milk ''newb gains'' again in only 6 weeks. That leads me to the end of May 2019.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Congrats on the PRs!

jzt

Post by jzt »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Congrats on the PRs!
Thank you. A lot has happened since. I will come here soon and update.

Gl with your training.

jzt

Post by jzt »

Starting Operator with the following cluster: Trap Bar Deadlift, Overhead Press (strict), Neutral Grip Chin Ups.

Here's the video of the 1RM tests from last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9CKD05ADE

Trap DL: 3 x 410 (1RM ≈ 451)
Press: 3 x 170 (1RM ≈ 187)
Chin Ups: 3 x BW(208.8) + 90 (1RM ≈ BW+120)

Major changes since the previous training Blocks when I started in Jan, early 2019.

Block 1; I stuck to the operator template, extended it by 2 weeks after testing my new maxes. I felt insanely solid, injury free, etc. Loved that cluster. The assistance went by feel, same for mobility.

Block 2; I wanted to add variety and got sucked in the powerlifts a bit, mixed Greyskull and Operator regarding the reps and %. I still made great progress overall. Mobility and assistance were again instinctive.

This wasn't a Block, but I was travelling and needed some time away from structure in my training, so I just went by feel. Funnily enough, I thought this time would allow me to heal up and be ready to go for the next block, but the lack of structure created a few nagging injuries, namely lower back, knee and hip. Nothing major, but from now on I will avoid this type of training.

After toying around with the previous weeks, I did some research on TB Conditioning and discovered a whole new aspect of fitness. Got the book, read it, loved it. No, I'm not doing base building yet since I'm more strength focused. That being said I'm going back to the TBDL, OHP and WCUs that all served me well in the past in keeping injuries at bay.

For this Block, I'm going to be using a TM of 90%. I want to see the effect it will have. The plan is to run 6 weeks of 70/80/90/75/86/95 and then 6 additional weeks of 75/85/95/80/90/100. Basically +5% each week the second time around, then retesting after the 12th week. I also scheduled the conditioning portion, which is a first time for me, ever. I went by distance instead of time (as prescribed in TB: Cond.) because I'm a complete beginner and this makes more sense to me.

This Block takes me to early September, by then this is the goals:

Trap Deadlift: 3 x 500
Press: 3 x 185
Weighted Chin Ups: 3 x BW+100
BW: 210-215lbs
5K Run: 25 mins (12km/h avg speed)

See you in September.