Progress on Mass

TBPenguin

Progress on Mass

Post by TBPenguin »

I'm going to try to keep a progress log here. I do not intend to keep an actual training log with individual workouts described. Copying that over from my actual logbook would be boring and not something I could consistently do, and I think reading it would be boring reading anyway. But there may be some value in sharing discoveries in one place, especially for the over-40 club members. So I will try to provide a summary with observations after each block. [Moderators - if this is not an acceptable use of this forum, go ahead and delete this, my feelings won't be hurt.]

My plan was/is to run the Gladiator template. Frankly this is almost entirely due to my weird work schedule over the first few months of the year. It would be possible to run Fighter HT, but the way I read the book it trades some hypertrophy so other stuff can be done, so...maybe later. I would have liked to start with base building, but my weird work schedule would mess it up repeatedly. Even if my schedule allowed it, the timing would not have been ideal for me. I did not have access to a gym in December, and so was doing stuff that could be done, which was some E work (all LSS) and some SE type bodyweight and kettlebell work. Going 10 weeks without the heavier loading - not good at this stage.

My intention is to run the block programming once through as laid out in the book, and then run base before going into the OMS.

Barkadion

Re: Progress on Mass

Post by Barkadion »

Nice! Good luck TBP!! I’ll be following your progress.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

First Block

Having had over a month out of the gym, I did not want to push for testing. Also it would have further messed up my schedule. So I just started with conservative estimated maxes.

Gladiator.

My biggest concern going into this was the lack of WPUs. These have been in every program I've run for over 30 years. Probably OK to take a break and they aren't a weakness, but it still bothered me a bit. Once into the program, it didn't bother me. The workouts feel "right." I have continued my practice of hanging and doing a single bodyweight pullup every night, as it makes my shoulders and upper back feel better. On the flip side, increasing the frequency of BP and DL was probably a good idea for me.

The second half of every week was easier than the first half. It will be interesting to see if this continues, or if this is just because I was coming back from a month of no heavy loading.

The 8s and 6s were not a problem, sets still felt good.

Because of work, this next week is a bridge week. Maybe not needed physically yet, but since the 3 on 1 off is recommended with regular TB for the over-40 club, not much of a setback. Besides this will allow me to slip in some WPUs.

For the next block - starting in about a week - I am thinking about taking to heart KB's words here http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... 151#p16151 and maybe stick at the same weights as block one, but do 5 sets instead of 4. Still undecided on this.

Conditioning.

It felt easy. How much of that was due to December, or the reduced frequency, no idea. I didn't change the sessions, would have thought after doing days working the legs, and a bit harder, that the E sessions would be slightly tougher. Oh well, I'll take it.

Diet.

I certainly met the two rules on p 107. I did not follow the formulas, except obviously for protein.

To make the protein intake more pleasant, I borrowed a tactic from the real athletes (competitive eaters). Also the opposite of what those trying to lose excess weight are counseled to do. Add variety. It is easier to eat 12 oz of steak and 4 oz of hamburger than it is to eat 16 oz of steak. Or 8 oz each of pork and chicken than to eat 16 oz of either. So every weekend I just grilled up a bunch of different stuff, to be combined withe meals during the week. This really helps at breakfast, just reheat whatever appeals to go along with eggs.

Overall.

3 weeks isn't much time, especially as I am well past the point of showing rapid progress. But there are indications that this is moving in the right direction. Nothing I would trust as data yet.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

"My biggest concern going into this was the lack of WPUs. These have been in every program I've run for over 30 years. Probably OK to take a break and they aren't a weakness, but it still bothered me a bit. Once into the program, it didn't bother me. The workouts feel "right."

Can you please elaborate on "right" feeling? Are you saying that you are getting enough volume and there is no room for additional pulling movements?
Cheers!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:Can you please elaborate on "right" feeling? Are you saying that you are getting enough volume and there is no room for additional pulling movements?
Cheers!
Bark, all subjective and I may be wrong. What I means is that my body feels like that amount of lifting over two back to back days is enough to be productive but not too much. My upper back could handle more but I'm not sure that would add overall progress, what the upper back gained might mean less elsewhere. I may well be wrong. But I am going to trust KB on this. He wrote Gladiator and Grey Man with the same main cluster. With back to back days (Gladiator) nothing else, with Grey Man (days off between) you can add a bit.

It's early. If the mass gain doesn't come and my upper back shrinks there may be crying.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I am 1 week into Fighter HT and just 2 exercises for 5x8 is killing me volume wise. I still have deadlifts to go. My upper body isn't so bad because I have gone outside 5 reps here and there, but my legs are killing me.

I have usually stuck with 3x5 for my lower body exercises even when I added some volume for the upper body stuff. I haven't gone too crazy calorie wise yet, but I think I will need to haha.

I usually do 15 reps total and now I am doing 40. I can definitely tell I will grow. I can't imagine doing this across more than 2 exercises in a session at the moment. I am also using submaximal loads and still need to take the time to transition from the low volume TB strength training I have been doing.

I started at 75kg and only want to move back up to 77kg for now. I think I will be there in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by Maxrip13 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Can you please elaborate on "right" feeling? Are you saying that you are getting enough volume and there is no room for additional pulling movements?
Cheers!
Bark, all subjective and I may be wrong. What I means is that my body feels like that amount of lifting over two back to back days is enough to be productive but not too much. My upper back could handle more but I'm not sure that would add overall progress, what the upper back gained might mean less elsewhere. I may well be wrong. But I am going to trust KB on this. He wrote Gladiator and Grey Man with the same main cluster. With back to back days (Gladiator) nothing else, with Grey Man (days off between) you can add a bit.

It's early. If the mass gain doesn't come and my upper back shrinks there may be crying.
Fair enough! Thank you and good luck.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Second Block

Gladiator

I decided to make a very small forced progress on SQ, DL, and MP. Didn't with BP since I rounded weights up for block 1. As in the first block, the second half of each week felt easier than the first half. The one exception is that in both blocks, in week 3, the second time doing deadlifts is something of a bomb. The week 3 layout in MT certainly makes sense. Also I think Max's observation makes sense. I could do more volume, and have done so, but suspect it would not be productive.

Now I have another forced bridge week. Like in the last one, I will sneak in some WPUs, as in both blocks I could feel my arms getting shorter.

Conditioning

Once again this felt easy. Not sure if this is the reduced frequency or if I am doing a better job of sticking to HR limits. The odd thing is that is seems like my resting HR has been lower when running Zulu or Mass than it was during Operator.

Diet

I am definitely meeting rule #1, because I can count. I am definitely meeting rule #2, as parts, including the belly, are getting thicker.

Overall progress

While the belly got a bit bigger, so did the parts involved in doing DL and BP. My thighs got a bit thicker, hopefully they are not just getting more marbled.

Plans

After this forced Bridge week, I will have a stretch that looks like normal schedule. I can do two blocks between bridge weeks or stick to the over 40 club approach of a bridge week after every 3 weeks. Otherwise for the next two blocks I will probably stick to Gladiator and just do some small forced progress. I don't have any other changes planned.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Third block

Gladiator

Observations all the same as for second block. No forced bridge week now. Need to decide this weekend if I will do two back to back blocks per book, or stick to the 3 on 1 off. Also need to decide if I will stick with Gladiator (which has certainly been working) or go to one of the 3 day a week templates. A little more recovery for the lower body, a bit more conditioning both sound appealing. Then again, it is only 3 weeks.

My arms have definitely gotten shorter as a result of no WPUs.

Conditioning

Surprisingly there is progress - a little better performance and/or sessions getting easier for keeping output the same. Still feels like I should be doing more.

Diet

I probably need to bump up something, or be more consistent, as there was a bit more fluctuation over the block.

Overall

Chest, shoulders, thighs are all thicker, back other than lats is bigger, belly is bigger. But it has only been three blocks, not a full cycle. At the halfway point the program seems like a winner.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Third block

Gladiator

Observations all the same as for second block. No forced bridge week now. Need to decide this weekend if I will do two back to back blocks per book, or stick to the 3 on 1 off. Also need to decide if I will stick with Gladiator (which has certainly been working) or go to one of the 3 day a week templates. A little more recovery for the lower body, a bit more conditioning both sound appealing. Then again, it is only 3 weeks.

My arms have definitely gotten shorter as a result of no WPUs.

Conditioning

Surprisingly there is progress - a little better performance and/or sessions getting easier for keeping output the same. Still feels like I should be doing more.

Diet

I probably need to bump up something, or be more consistent, as there was a bit more fluctuation over the block.

Overall

Chest, shoulders, thighs are all thicker, back other than lats is bigger, belly is bigger. But it has only been three blocks, not a full cycle. At the halfway point the program seems like a winner.
Any changes on your weight and/or body comp?