Progress on Mass

TBPenguin

Re: Progress on Mass

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
Any changes on your weight and/or body comp?
Bark, it looks like +1 - 2 kg. With fluctuations, hard to tell. That doesn't sound like a lot, but for the time at it, that seems pretty good to me. Can't expect beginner's gain. For body comp, the legs seem just as veiny but the belly grew. A little early to take measurements.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Any changes on your weight and/or body comp?
Bark, it looks like +1 - 2 kg. With fluctuations, hard to tell. That doesn't sound like a lot, but for the time at it, that seems pretty good to me. Can't expect beginner's gain. For body comp, the legs seem just as veiny but the belly grew. A little early to take measurements.
Makes sense, TBP. Good luck with the new blocks! I am still thinking of trying it at some point. I would guess that combination of my life schedule, nutrition effort, and recovery ability can set me to failure, though. But im not too ambitious with my goals and opportunity to change training regimen a bit is appealing..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Still progressing on the mass programs?

I am a doing Grey man for a 3 week period into OP. Ill call it MOO instead of OMS.
The higher ranges ranges absolutely kill me. It' been so long since I have felt these sort of DOMS even when I use conservative weights.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Still progressing on the mass programs?

I am a doing Grey man for a 3 week period into OP. Ill call it MOO instead of OMS.
The higher ranges ranges absolutely kill me. It' been so long since I have felt these sort of DOMS even when I use conservative weights.
MASS-OP-OP?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Still progressing on the mass programs?

MASS-OP-OP?
Exactly. The higher volume kills me and means I can't run or do BJJ much. I am going to try a 2/1 strength to mass ratio. I want some general mass for work and higher reps usually make me stronger anyway.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

TBPenguin wrote: Need to decide this weekend if I will do two back to back blocks per book, or stick to the 3 on 1 off.
Like the idiot I am, instead of sticking to what was working, I decided to do them back to back. Well despite there being almost no difference in anything between the two blocks, my body decided for me that I wasn't going to finish this one (Week 2 was really not pretty) and so instead of doing week 3 I ended up doing a deload week.

So no real good observations to share. Block 3 went fine, block 4 done without a bridge week didn't. I guess going forward I'll stick to the 3 on 1 off pattern.

On the off week tried some WPUs. Maybe lost a little strength but didn't really test. Still, my arms have no doubt gotten shorter.

Not sure what to do next, but need to decide soon. Options:

1) Just do the planned block 4 again, and assume that after the easier week that things will be back to normal
2) Move on to Specialization
3) Move to a template that is fewer days per week, allows more recovery and more conditioning.

Opinions and insults are welcome.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

TBPenguin wrote:
TBPenguin wrote: Need to decide this weekend if I will do two back to back blocks per book, or stick to the 3 on 1 off.
Like the idiot I am, instead of sticking to what was working, I decided to do them back to back. Well despite there being almost no difference in anything between the two blocks, my body decided for me that I wasn't going to finish this one (Week 2 was really not pretty) and so instead of doing week 3 I ended up doing a deload week.

So no real good observations to share. Block 3 went fine, block 4 done without a bridge week didn't. I guess going forward I'll stick to the 3 on 1 off pattern.

On the off week tried some WPUs. Maybe lost a little strength but didn't really test. Still, my arms have no doubt gotten shorter.

Not sure what to do next, but need to decide soon. Options:

1) Just do the planned block 4 again, and assume that after the easier week that things will be back to normal
2) Move on to Specialization
3) Move to a template that is fewer days per week, allows more recovery and more conditioning.

Opinions and insults are welcome.
I am definitely finding I can’t get away with poor diet, sleep or recovery with the mass programs like I have with TB OP in the past.

Did you meet your mass goals?

I am doing grey man and liking it, but my supplementary exercises are a real struggle at the moment. I kept it simple with body weight lunges, side to side squats and ring rows. I can’t hit the required sets without spewing after my main cluster.

My favourite was the fighter mass program. I will definitely be doing it again in the future. Simple, effective and just plain brilliant. Just enough volume for someone who wants a little mass on the side but still wants to do some other training.

I actually want to use the mass protocol rep ranges for my upper body exercises and stick with normal TB for my lower body stuff. I know it will limit mass gain but I could deal with the volume much easier.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Maxrip13 wrote:
I am doing grey man and liking it, but my supplementary exercises are a real struggle at the moment. I kept it simple with body weight lunges, side to side squats and ring rows. I can’t hit the required sets without spewing after my main cluster.

My favourite was the fighter mass program. I will definitely be doing it again in the future. Simple, effective and just plain brilliant. Just enough volume for someone who wants a little mass on the side but still wants to do some other training.

I actually want to use the mass protocol rep ranges for my upper body exercises and stick with normal TB for my lower body stuff. I know it will limit mass gain but I could deal with the volume much easier.
Max, thanks for the reviews on the 3 days a week options. On the Grey Man template do you think it could work better for you if you could do the supplementary in a later workout (like two a days)? I know that probably would not fit life, just curious whether it is doing so much at one time that is causing the struggle, or if you think the total workload is just pushing it with other stuff going on.

When you did Fighter Mass what else were you doing beside the martial arts?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

TBPenguin wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Max, thanks for the reviews on the 3 days a week options. On the Grey Man template do you think it could work better for you if you could do the supplementary in a later workout (like two a days)? I know that probably would not fit life, just curious whether it is doing so much at one time that is causing the struggle, or if you think the total workload is just pushing it with other stuff going on.

When you did Fighter Mass what else were you doing beside the martial arts?
I was coming back off 2 weeks off. I believe it’s just the total workload and life getting in the way. My life is not conducive to high volume training at the moment. I am expecting my first child any day now and wanted to get a quick mass program in before switching to a barebones OP/Fighter and shorter conditioning sessions to accomodate the new life changes. I respond really well to higher reps strength wise, but it kills my recovery.i usually stick to 3x5 for my operator sessions. 2 a days would definitely work but aren’t an option.

I chose grey man to get some row variations in for a while. I have done nothing but pull-ups for years now and needed a change for upper back health. I think it is a great variation for adding in some variety. It is almost like a middle ground between the general mass templates and switching to specificity. I think switching to grey man would be great if you want to only train 3 days.

When I did Fighter mass I was doing 2-3 easy runs a week and bjj at most 2x a week. I did definitely notice some recovery issues for bjj.

The disclaimer is I am a shift worker, law enforcement and have a lot of life stress.I probably shouldn’t be using a mass template right now. I have been doing a lot of LSS work and wanted to add a bit of size back on. I am getting a lot of comments for people asking me if I am ok health wise due to weight loss.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Max thanks, that was great info, will definitely think on what you've said.

Congrats on the kid! Hope you get some sleep.