JudoRob's Training Log

JudoRob

JudoRob's Training Log

Post by JudoRob »

Hey everyone!

I thought I would start a training log to hold myself accountable, so here goes! I'm a 31 y/o M who is 5'9 168 lbs with roughly 15% bodyfat.

In the past I used to lift extensively with a 1025 total at 175 lbs, I'm a purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu, and at one point was highly competitive in Judo. However, the past few years I have fallen off, and at my heaviest 10 months ago was a non-athletic 200 lbs at 5'9.

I'm currently running through Basebuilding Week 6 using the standard format. When first starting out jogging was a struggle. At 4.5 MPH my heart rate was approximately 165, so I was not exactly in the best shape. Now I can run comfortably for an hour at about 5 MPH, but that comfort doesn't really take my shoddy knees and ankles into account.

My plan right now is to complete Basebuilding, followed by 6 weeks of green, at which point I will be switching to a 10-12 week Operator or Fighter with Black with black for two cycles depending on whether or not I go back to Jiu-Jitsu, and I hope to cap the year off with OMS.

The other day I ran a fast 5 in 27 minutes, whereas pre-basebuilding it would have taken me 36-37 minutes.

For my SE Cluster I used the following format with alpha to save time on the unilateral movements. I plan to continue using the following format (Exercises this block are listed as well):
  • Legs - Bulgarian Split Squat
    Push - Pushup
    Pull - TRX Rows
    Shoulder Rehab - Band Pull Aparts
    Posterior Chain - KB Single Leg Deadlifts
    Core - Supine Lateral Ball Rolls
The strength cluster I plan on using for the next 4-6 months is as follows (current 1RM listed):
  • Front Squat - 202
    OHP - 102
    Pullup - BW + 20
    DL - 280
My pressing is weak due to previously separated shoulders, so I hope to focus on that lift to a point where I can rep out 135 for 3-5.

godjira1

Re: JudoRob's Training Log

Post by godjira1 »

30+ lbs off in 10mth is awesome. Good to hear that you are working your way back from injury/the unfit zone. Your 1075 total is awesome stuff. Good luck!

From a fellow bjj purple belt + judoka.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Welcome aboard!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate it!

With this upcoming weekend being Valentine's day I'm going to have to move a day or two around, but last night's workout was as follows:

Front Squat - 4 x 155 x 5
OHP - 4 x 77 x 5
DL - 1 x 205 x 5
Pullups - *

*For Pullups I'm currently using no weight. I can crank out about 6-7 when fresh, which is a far cry from the 16-18 I used to be able to do. So, although I did follow my set and rep scheme of 4 x 5 I also spent time at the end of the workout doing sub maximal sets of 2 - 3. Total pullup count for last night is estimated to be around 40.

I'm toying with the idea of using the Fighter Pullup Program or just giving myself a rep number I have to hit each work out. At this junction the weights are light enough to where I could easily do sets of 3-5 between my working sets, and since I plan on forced progression as opposed to re-testing for health/longevity reasons I'm not too concerned about recovery.

If I keep my 4 sets of 5, and eventually bump it up to 5 sets I can hit around 50-75 pullups per workout with minimal strain outside of my working set of pullups.

On conditioning/E days I'll find a way to toss pullups in somewhere.

My diet could use work. Due to time constraints and some stomach issues I have trouble getting the calories I need, especially since I eat relatively cleanly. A sample of what I may eat is as follows:

AM:
1 cup Mixed Fruit
2 scoops Hemp Protein in 1 cup Almond Milk
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
1 Banana
1/2 Avocado
(Eggs on the weekend)

Snack:
1 cup Fruit
1/4 cup Cashews
1/4 cup Almonds

Lunch:
6 oz Shredded Chicken Breast
1.5 cups mixed vegetables
1 Whole Wheat Wrap
1 cup Strawberries

PM Snack:
1/4 cup Sunflower/Pumpkin Seeds

Dinner:
4-6 oz Salmon
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
Mixed Vegetables
1 piece Naan Bread

Weekends I let loose a bit more.

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

600M resets in the book. I only had access to a treadmill tonight due to weather, so I worked within 90-95% of my max heart rate for 2 minutes per se

Afterwards I completed my fighter pull-ups.

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

45 minute E for base building tonight. 6 weeks ago at 4.5 mph my heart rate would be around 160. Tonight I decided to test it a bit and I can run at 5.5 mph keeping around 155-160, so there’s a definite improvement.

Afterwards I did some sub max pull-ups.

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

Had to push my Sunday Strength day to today. I won’t be able to get in the gym tomorrow, but it will be a full, much needed rest day.

Today’s workout:

Band Pullaparts, external rotations, and general mobility work.

Front Squat 165 x 4 x 5
OHP 80 x 4 x 5
Fighter Pull-ups 5, 4, 4, 3, 2 w/ additional greasing the groove in between work sets on the major lifts.

I know I said I was just going to utilize forced progression, but I’m rethinking that and will retest at the end of this 6 week block.

Outside of the gym I tend to mull in my head as to whether or not I should be on 5/3/1, a Westside split, or even another program that’s more high volume, but my massively massive days are over. I don’t desire to be 195 anymore.

I had a plan to use OMS at some point, and it is still in the cards, but will most likely be pushed out next year in favor of Zulu this year with a Squat, Bench, Dead, and OHP cluster with backwork and single leg work as accessories.

I don’t have a particularly challenging goal, and they all seem attainable. I’d say they’re general in nature and would be what I need to accomplish to feel fit.

I have no doubt that TB can get me there.

Long-term goals are as follows:
24M 5K
60M 10K
Bench: 225 x 5
Squat: 315 x 5
OHP: 135 x 5
DL: 315 x 5
20 pull-ups
Lean Bodyweight of 165-170.

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

I’m a little worse for wear after today’s session. I may have to switch out running for rowing/cycling since I pushed myself a little too hard, but on the bright side I went from struggling with a 13:30 mile at the beginning of basebuilding to hammering out a 5k today in 25:30, a minute and a half from my goal.

Time for pull-ups.

JudoRob

Post by JudoRob »

Yesterday was a MUCH needed recovery day. It was spent with a slow pace on the elliptical. Heart Rate never exceeded 110. After that I stretched for about 20-30 minutes and hit the sauna.

I think the HIC is starting to wear on me to the point where I've cut my E sessions down to a minimum.

Today I hit my 4x5 on Front Squats, OHP, and Pullups with a 1x5 work set of Deads.

I can't wait to deload.