Aiwacht

Aiwacht's Log

Post by Aiwacht »

Intro post, I intend to update weekly.

Tested max's last week, and the estimated 1rms are:

Press 100
Row 130
DL 200

Which are a) as exciting to see as one would expect and b) pretty much what I expected! :)

For the record, I am 52, male, 5'10", 170#, and have been running a loose version of Ketogains macros for a couple of years. That brought me down from 190-195 where I had been for years to 158 at the lowest (while being strict) and more in the 165-175 range when I am not being uptight. I live in the mountains of New Mexico, and will be balancing (hopefully!) a good endurance load along with MS.

I started the BB phase of Mass today, and those stupidly low weights will clearly kick the crap out of my on Friday!

VenomousCoffee

Re: Aiwacht's Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Welcome aboard!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck with your training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Reading here as well as in my past logs has me doing a bit of a course correction, which is basically that with my endurance-as-fun-in-the-summertime it makes no sense at all to consider doing a mass program. So I'll do BB & then into Op, either standard if my recovery is solid or I/A if it needs a bit more time. I'll keep with the three SE days a week in the first five weeks from mass just to get the grooves greased on the movements as the light/high reps seems to be getting the joints lubed which I need. I'll bring in the MS as per standard BB in the last three weeks.

I'm branching out a bit on the E, as I have been strictly bike focused since last summer, so doing some fast walks & rucks a few times a week. I usually do 3-4 days on the bike for anywhere from an hour to three hours, working on matching those more to the BB guidelines. I've got such a long endurance history that I truly can't tell where my HR is, so I have a cheap HR monitor coming in to help with that. I think I probably end up both above & below the targets a lot of the time, so it will be interesting to see what I learn.

Trap bar arrived yesterday and is seriously cool. No back or hip issues with the high rep SE yesterday, I look forward to seeing where I can go with it.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:Reading here as well as in my past logs has me doing a bit of a course correction, which is basically that with my endurance-as-fun-in-the-summertime it makes no sense at all to consider doing a mass program. So I'll do BB & then into Op, either standard if my recovery is solid or I/A if it needs a bit more time. I'll keep with the three SE days a week in the first five weeks from mass just to get the grooves greased on the movements as the light/high reps seems to be getting the joints lubed which I need. I'll bring in the MS as per standard BB in the last three weeks.

I'm branching out a bit on the E, as I have been strictly bike focused since last summer, so doing some fast walks & rucks a few times a week. I usually do 3-4 days on the bike for anywhere from an hour to three hours, working on matching those more to the BB guidelines. I've got such a long endurance history that I truly can't tell where my HR is, so I have a cheap HR monitor coming in to help with that. I think I probably end up both above & below the targets a lot of the time, so it will be interesting to see what I learn.

Trap bar arrived yesterday and is seriously cool. No back or hip issues with the high rep SE yesterday, I look forward to seeing where I can go with it.
Congrats on TB. What brand?

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Barkadion wrote: Congrats on TB. What brand?
It an odd one from TDS/New York Barbell. Best thing I could find for standard plates that fit the budget. Bolt together and rated to 400# which should be more than plenty for me!

https://www.amazon.com/TDS-Shrug-Hip-st ... B074P9DVBX

Aiwacht

BB 1: 2019 week 17 4/22-28

Post by Aiwacht »

BB 1: 2019 week 17 4/22-28

M SE&E 3x10 Press, DL, Row. Then 35 minute ruck with 16#.
T E 35 minutes brisk walking.
W SE 3x20 Press, DL, Row.
Th E 50 minutes on the bike.
F SE 3x30 Press, DL, Row. 40 min brisk walk after.
S E 70 minutes on the bike.
Su E 60 minute walk, with about 4 minutes of running in there on the dirt. Last 20 were leisurely cool down as I ran into my wife out walking the dog.

30 reps on the press are tough even with really light weights!

I eased up on how hard I push on all the riding, as I am fairly sure I usually ride above the HR threshold. Should get my HR monitor tomorrow, so we will see how that effects things. I think I walk too slow & ride too fast!

I didn’t log them, but I did a few sessions of Yoga (youtube, with Adriene) focussed on hips & hamstrings this week. I usually do about ten minutes of mobility work and then 2 TGU’s each side and few goblet squats with curls in the bottom position to warm up every day, and a few short (25 feet or so) bear, frogger, and monkey walks if I feel I need more.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:
Barkadion wrote: Congrats on TB. What brand?
It an odd one from TDS/New York Barbell. Best thing I could find for standard plates that fit the budget. Bolt together and rated to 400# which should be more than plenty for me!

https://www.amazon.com/TDS-Shrug-Hip-st ... B074P9DVBX
I didn’t know TDS makes one..Price is unbeatable! Good luck with TBaring!!

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

BB 1: 2019 week 18 4/29-5/5

M SE&E 3x20 Press, DL, Row. Then 70 minute easy ride.
T E 40 minutes brisk walk/run, 8 1 minute run intervals.
W SE 3x20 Press, DL, Row. Then 40 minute ruck 16#
Th Rest day.
F SE 3x30 Press, DL, Row. TB Walk 130#, felt great, more traps than with the KB farmers.
S E 70 minutes on the bike.
Su E 50 minutes walk/run, 11 50-90 second run intervals. Finding the run groove just a bit more, felt good during and after.

Saturday checked out the gym nearby, which is under new ownership & much more up my alley than it was previously. Trap bar, tires, sandbag, rings, squat rack, ploy boxes, etc +all the basic machines & such. Nice & rough, nothing fancy whatsoever. This will be great option for the cold (and maybe hot!) season.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

3 sets 40 for SE is a pile of work! :)