Eating Rocks

03rockeater

Eating Rocks

Post by 03rockeater »

This morning I completed my first day of BB. Originally I bought TB1 and started right away with a basic Operator cluster and some light running every other day. My goal was to ease myself back into weight training after abandoning it for about 8 years. I then sat down and actually read TB1 and then TB2 and realized that I should start with BB and follow everything precisely. I also realized that I really need to work on my cardio since I've always sucked at it. I do think the few weeks of Operator that I did complete helped me a lot today. For example, I was able to knock out my 3 sets of 20 pushups with hardly any effort (a month ago I struggled with a set of 25).

Anyway, here is my SE cluster:

KB swings (20#)
BB Squat (Olympic bar only)
Push-ups (body weight only)
BB Row (Olympic bar only)
Crunches

Based on what I've read here and on the tactical barbell section of Reddit (where I have posted a few times with a somewhat related user name), I decided to use 5 exercises in my cluster (vs the max of 8) and go really lightweight with everything. I look pretty fit but I'm pretty weak compared to my old self and don't want to get injured trying to convince myself that I'm still as strong as I used to be.

A few other things:

-I didn't really struggle on anything today. I'm tempted to add a few 5# plates on the Olympic bar....but knowing that pretty soon I'll be doing sets of 50 maybe I should keep using Olympic bar only (after all, KB did say weight doesn't matter for SE...right?)

-I was able to stick with 30-45 seconds of rest in between each exercise. I could have done the minimum of 30 seconds, but sometimes I'd lose track of time.

-All together it took me around 21 minutes to complete everything.

-I bought a heart rate monitor and have already done 2 LSS runs just to get a feeling for the pace I'll be running at. I was too anxious to start and didn't yet read the section that says you can overdo LSS endurance. Oh well. In my job LSS type work happens on a daily basis. I was able to maintain an average of 129 BPM while running very slow which still puts me near 70% of my Max heart rate.

Not sure how often I will update this but I will try to periodically post something to keep myself accountable.

Aiwacht

Re: Eating Rocks

Post by Aiwacht »

Congrats on getting started & welcome!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

First official day of LSS. I ran for about 40 minutes. I must have started off too fast because my heart rate went right to ~170. I had to stop and walk and basically start over again. I find it's best to start really slow and adjust accordingly. Average BPM was 134 which puts me at around 70% of my max.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another endurance day with 30 minutes of running scheduled. I'm supposed to go on a short day hike which will definitely include hills. I'll try my best to make it an endurance "ruck up" day but have a feeling my heart rate will be way above recommend BB levels.

I suppose if my heart rate is too high I can still count the hike as an endurance workout.. or maybe I'll just consider it my rest day and do some LSS work later in the week on a day I'd otherwise be resting on.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

On the SE work, I'd strongly recommend against adding weight just because week 1 felt easy. 3x40 is a lot more than twice as hard as 3x20.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

VenomousCoffee wrote:On the SE work, I'd strongly recommend against adding weight just because week 1 felt easy. 3x40 is a lot more than twice as hard as 3x20.

Thanks! What do you think about replacing barbell squats with goblet squats (using a light KB)?? Or should I just stick with it and finish BB as planned?

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Is there a clear benefit to switching to goblet squats? I personally feel like bb squats are about the best exercise there is.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Is there a clear benefit to switching to goblet squats? I personally feel like bb squats are about the best exercise there is.

Only reason would be to follow this suggestion from user Aiwacht (in response to a question I had earlier about hip mobility)...should have mentioned why I wanted to include goblet squats.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... 986#p17986

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

03rockeater wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:On the SE work, I'd strongly recommend against adding weight just because week 1 felt easy. 3x40 is a lot more than twice as hard as 3x20.

Thanks! What do you think about replacing barbell squats with goblet squats (using a light KB)?? Or should I just stick with it and finish BB as planned?
I tend to use the goblets on the warm up end of things rather than as a main mover. That said, really heavy goblet squats can get pretty viscious!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

03rockeater wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:Is there a clear benefit to switching to goblet squats? I personally feel like bb squats are about the best exercise there is.

Only reason would be to follow this suggestion from user Aiwacht (in response to a question I had earlier about hip mobility)...should have mentioned why I wanted to include goblet squats.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... 986#p17986
Oh, I hadn't looked at that thread. Makes sense now. I just posted in it too, recommended looking at Simple and Sinister.

I've never had hip issues and I've also never seriously done goblet squats. I would think that with a heavier weight (or as you fatigue on SE work) it would become a grip/arm/torso workout rather than legs. But if you can't do bb squats at all right now ...

For SE work, I do my squats with a narrow stance, feet inside my shoulders. Any chance that would help?