Eating Rocks

03rockeater

Re: Eating Rocks

Post by 03rockeater »

VenomousCoffee wrote:
03rockeater wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:Is there a clear benefit to switching to goblet squats? I personally feel like bb squats are about the best exercise there is.

Only reason would be to follow this suggestion from user Aiwacht (in response to a question I had earlier about hip mobility)...should have mentioned why I wanted to include goblet squats.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... 986#p17986
Oh, I hadn't looked at that thread. Makes sense now. I just posted in it too, recommended looking at Simple and Sinister.

I've never had hip issues and I've also never seriously done goblet squats. I would think that with a heavier weight (or as you fatigue on SE work) it would become a grip/arm/torso workout rather than legs. But if you can't do bb squats at all right now ...

For SE work, I do my squats with a narrow stance, feet inside my shoulders. Any chance that would help?

Actually, I feel totally fine doing BB squats. I have noticed that too narrow of a stance and I can't get down low enough. I have to spread my feet wider than shoulder width and I also angle my feet outwards a bit.

I'll probably just stick with BB squats for now in my BB and regular MS work...maybe I'll add goblet squats later just for hip mobility. That other thread has a lot of good replies (the one I posted about hip mobility). Something tells me that my squat will benefit from hip work as well

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

6-27-19

Completed a LSS run in the morning. About 42 minutes in duration, Average heart rate was at 133 BPM, max was 161. I realized that my normal running route starts on a very gradual incline, which might be why my heart rate starts pretty high on my runs. When my HR gets to where I want it to be, it is usually after I reach level ground. In the future I might walk the gradual incline and then start my running, especially since I don't do any other type of a warm up.

Later in the day I went on a 4.5 mile hike with the wife. I had a pretty lightweight pack (only brought food water and other essentials). I tried to go as easy as I could as to not interfere with BB (I know too much LSS can be bad, for example. Also, it is recommended that people don't do extra during BB). There were a few elevation gains when I was breathing relatively hard but for the most part it felt a tad harder than my LSS runs.

6-28-19

Finished my 2x20 SE day. Very easy stuff...so far. I do realize that it will get way harder in the next few weeks. Also, I'm going very light with weight so I'm not getting the same results as somebody throwing 10's and 5's on the Olympic bar.

A few things I've noticed that I want to document:
After watching multiple videos on KB swings, I felt like my form was really good today. With that being said, I felt some pain/discomfort in my lower back that I haven't felt before while doing KB swings. This was the video I watched:

https://youtu.be/YSxHifyI6s8

I realized that before I was incorporating too much of a squat into my swings. When I tried using the "correct" form I just got that feeling that my lower back was "weak". Let's see how it feels in the next few weeks. I've also watched Pavels "Enter the Kettlebell" and have his S&S book. I'll reference those for form too.

I didn't really do any type of a warm up but went directly into KB swings. Perhaps I should do some type of warm up next time...especially when jumping right into swings...

Tomorrow is a recovery day. On Sunday I am thinking about going for a ruck with a heavy pack to push myself in terms of Endurance. A question for anybody who might be reading this: On my BB "day 6's", should I stay within the recommended HR (120-150 BPM) or can it just be an endurance day?

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

03rockeater wrote:
Later in the day I went on a 4.5 mile hike with the wife. I had a pretty lightweight pack (only brought food water and other essentials). I tried to go as easy as I could as to not interfere with BB (I know too much LSS can be bad, for example. Also, it is recommended that people don't do extra during BB). There were a few elevation gains when I was breathing relatively hard but for the most part it felt a tad harder than my LSS runs.

Good job following the text, but leave this level of analysis for world class athletes peaking for competition. Follow the program, but live your life. Some of my favorite training days have been doing my scheduled session and then getting some extra movement (pushing stroller while my wife does her walk, chasing my kids around the yard, etc.). If my wife was doing something clearly in conflict with BB (powerlifting, sprinting program, etc.), I wouldn't join in.

6-28-19

Finished my 2x20 SE day. Very easy stuff...so far. I do realize that it will get way harder in the next few weeks. Also, I'm going very light with weight so I'm not getting the same results as somebody throwing 10's and 5's on the Olympic bar.

In other words, you are doing it correctly :D

Tomorrow is a recovery day. On Sunday I am thinking about going for a ruck with a heavy pack to push myself in terms of Endurance. A question for anybody who might be reading this: On my BB "day 6's", should I stay within the recommended HR (120-150 BPM) or can it just be an endurance day?

I interpret the BB text to say the E in BB is supposed to be LSS. It refers to LSS and cardiac hypertrophy. I use the conversation method and throttle the pace even slower.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

close_fox wrote:
03rockeater wrote:

Good job following the text, but leave this level of analysis for world class athletes peaking for competition. Follow the program, but live your life. Some of my favorite training days have been doing my scheduled session and then getting some extra movement (pushing stroller while my wife does her walk, chasing my kids around the yard, etc.). If my wife was doing something clearly in conflict with BB (powerlifting, sprinting program, etc.), I wouldn't join in.

6-28-19

In other words, you are doing it correctly :D

I interpret the BB text to say the E in BB is supposed to be LSS. It refers to LSS and cardiac hypertrophy. I use the conversation method and throttle the pace even slower.
Thanks for answering my questions, I'll go with what you've suggested.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

I was going to change things up today for my "day 6" but ended up doing an hour long run instead. Average heart rate was in the 130's. Towards the last 20 minutes of the run I was definitely feeling tired/sore/tight in the hip flexor/glute and calf areas. Felt good to be able to run that long considering I typically don't like running and have never been good at it.

For my next day 6 I would like to do a fun run or something similar.

Already looking forward to week 2 of BB. Seems like things are about to get a lot tougher...

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

Week 2 Day 1 of BB

3x30 was a good workout. I knew it was going to get tougher and sticking with the same weight was a good idea.

Out of my cluster:

KB swings (20#)
BB Squat (Olympic bar only)
Push-ups (body weight only)
BB Row (Olympic bar only)
Crunches

I only had problems with push ups towards the end of my 2nd set and definitely on my 3rd after the 15th rep. The other exercises weren't necessarily easy (especially on the last 2 sets), but I was able to power through. I did have to take longer rest periods between sets compared to week 1. After KB swings I did feel it in the back of my neck which I know isn't normal. I'm sure my head position was off during swings so I'd like to work on my form before progressing in weight. I definitely felt the lack of hip mobility in my squat today. I did feel a lot tighter after my hour long run a few days ago, so I think continuing to work on hip mobility will be very important for me in the future.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

BB
Week 2 Day 2

LSS run: 50 minutes
Average BPM: 140
Max BPM: 170

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

BB
Week 2 Day 3

LSS run: 40 minutes
Average BPM: 139
Max BPM: 164

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

Finished up week 2 and started week 3 today.

Completed all of my SE circuits and LSS runs last week without any issues. Only exercise in my cluster that I really have to rest on is push ups once I start getting into the higher reps.

Today was Day 1 of Week 3.

In between sets I was stretching and kind of tweaked my lower back. Tried to BB Squat and felt some pain similar to other back problems I've had before. I got on the floor and did some stretching and instantly felt better after. Makes me wonder how many of my back issues are related to poor mobility, especially in the glute/hip region.

Lately I've been seriously considering doing some BJJ classes. Trying to figure out how I will run TB and do a Max of 2 BJJ classes each week. I know that to get good at it I should be training four or five days a week and I will progress slowly, but given my work schedule and the class schedule, and how far I live from the gym, one class a week will be hard enough. I think 2 classes will be doable and hopefully will allow me to progressed faster than only taking one class.

somebody on the Reddit page told me to pick up Ageless Athlete which I did. I will look through that later and hopefully find some ideas on how to mix BJJ with Base building and also Tactical Barbell. I have a (basic) home gym and prioritize overall fitness and strength over BJJ (for now). I am really hoping I can run Operator/Black and train BJJ two times a week.

Looking forward to my LSS runs this week. It's a great time to multi task (listen to podcasts and train).

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

7-10-19

LSS run for 52 minutes.
Average heart rate was 134

Not confirmed (since I run different routes) but I feel like I'm now running further (so faster) while maintaining the same heart rate.

Body is aching slightly from yesterday's 3x40 SE circuit. Really thought I hurt my lower back again but it isn't feeling too bad today. I plan on stretching during the day today and hoping I don't have issues with it.