JZT 2.0

jzt

JZT 2.0

Post by jzt »

So after discovering TB in Jan 2019, I have given it 6 months of trial and error, experimentation and a lot of reading, I believe I finally fully grasp the concept. I've tried different blocks with different clusters and so far I have nothing but positive things to say about the program/philosophy that TB taught me. I've tried a TM% vs no TM, minimalist clusters, more complete clusters, SE training, got back into running, etc.

I'm 29 years old, 6'0 tall and my last morning weigh in on an empty stomach was an exact 212 lbs. I'm at a relatively low BF, last time I tested I was at 13.6%, so I'm not really looking to pack on that much more muscle on my frame (life time natty, too). A lean 220lbs would be great, but I'm in no rush to get there.

I have a few goals I would like to accomplish within the next year and I will be posting my progress here. The plan is to drastically improve my sub-par conditioning (which I haven't really trained in 10 years), improve slightly on my strength (which is decent at the moment) and incorporate daily mobility routines. I was always focused on chasing PRs and lost sight on what it is to be an athlete, I will be on a mission to fix that now.

jzt

Re: JZT 2.0

Post by jzt »

This was basically a TEST week, I wanted accurate 1RMs to start the program and see where I'm at running wise.

Week 1 - Day 1

Tested my 1RM on the Squat, hit 5 x 315.

Tested my 1RM on the Bench, hit 4 x 225

Mobility

Widened my stance a bit on the Squat, felt better on my knees.

Week 1 - Day 2
Tested my 1RM on the Weighted Chin Ups, hit 3 x 90.

Tested my 1RM on the Press, hit 5 x 165

Mobility

Week 1 - Day 3
Mobility

Week 1 - Day 4
Tested my 1RM on the Deadlift, hit 2 x 405.

Assistance 1
Ring Push Ups 3 x 10 (BW)
Reverse Hypers 3 x 25 (BW)

Mobility

Could've maybe gotten a few more reps, but I wanted a conservative max and my lower back can bug me sometimes, so I didn't wanna push it too hard.

Week 1 - Day 5
5k run (testing my time) in 34:01 mins at an average speed of 8.8 KM/H

Mobility

This was surprisingly ''easy'' as in I wasn't almost dying by the end of the 5K.

Week 1 - Day 6
Assistance 2
Reverse Planks 5 x 0:30
AB Roller 5 x 10 (BW)

Assistance 3
DB Curls 3 x 10 (25)
Dips 3 x 10 (BW)

Mobility

Week 1 - Day 7
HIC - Heavybag: 3 rounds of 2:00 ON / 1:00 OFF

Mobility

Strength results:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WB-bkR ... e=youtu.be

Program outlook (subject to change in regards to the exercise selection/duration for E and HIC):

The plan (with some room for flexibility):

Day 1 - MxS + Assistance 1
Day 2 - HIC
Day 3 - MxS + Assistance 2
Day 4 - E
Day 5 - MxS + Assistance 3
Day 6 - HIC
Day 7 - E

The assistance will be entirely 'intuitive' in the sense I will try to emphasis what I feel is required. The E will either be jogging or BJJ. The HIC will either be 600M Resets or Heavybag/Boxing Resets.
Last edited by jzt on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jzt

Post by jzt »

New format coming soon.
Last edited by jzt on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Likes »

Those are solid strength numbers. Where does that strength result picture come from?

We seem to be pretty similar in goals, BW and numbers so I'll be keeping an eye on you

jzt

Post by jzt »

Likes wrote:Those are solid strength numbers. Where does that strength result picture come from?

We seem to be pretty similar in goals, BW and numbers so I'll be keeping an eye on you
Thank you! I think my Chin Ups are solid, OHP/SQ/DL are ''okay'' and the BP is terrible. I'll try to even that out.

I use this website: https://symmetricstrength.com/

It shows you how you are doing strength wise and symmetry wise, it's a great way to objectively track your progress over time. To be as complete as possible, I suggest having 1 movement from each category in your cluster, but even if you only do WCUs, SQ and BP you'll have a pretty complete picture of where you are at.

jzt

Post by jzt »

Week 2 - Day 1 (65% 1RM)

WCU 4x5 BW+4
BP 5x5 166
SQ 3x5 236

Mobility

Lifts felt pretty easy, as they should given the %. I skipped the assistance work today since I had a pretty busy schedule and upped the sets on the main lifts. I'll catch up on it tomorrow at work if need be.

Week 2 - Day 2

Jogging
3.0 KM
17:55 mins
10.1 KM/H

Mobility

Week 2 - Day 3 (65% RM)

Yesterday's jogging really took a beating on my knees, I might reconsider the type of LISS cardio I do. I have a bike I might need to take out, or focus more on my BJJ and rolls for light cardio. Also thought about rope jumping.

WCU 4x5 BW+4
OHP 4x5 122
DL 3x3 281

Reverse Hypers 2x20 BW
AB Roller 2x20 BW

Mobility

Everything felt really light, except the OHP for some reason, perhaps I'm still recovering from the 5x5 Bench session.

Week 2 - Day 4

Mobility

Rest day. I'm about to leave for a few days, so the next two days I'll have to do back to back MxS workouts, and probably an HIC session thrown in there as well. We'll see how it goes.

Week 2 - Day 5 (65% RM)

WCU 4x5 BW+4
BP 5x5 166
SQ 3x5 236

Rowing
2KM in 9:48 mins
avg speed 12.2 KM/H

Mobility

The rowing felt insanely awkward, I was actually spending half the time readjusting. Not sure Im a big fan. I was at work so didnt have access to my heavy bag or BJJ dummy. The strength work felt easy. I had a mirror this time which helped for the squats.
Last edited by jzt on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

That symmetric strength site seems pretty good.

jzt

Post by jzt »

VenomousCoffee wrote:That symmetric strength site seems pretty good.
Yeah I've used it for years it's a great tool to have. I find it really complements TB well, specially in the context I'm running with BP/SQ/WCU - OHP/DL/WCU - BP/SQ/WCU. My Press and Deadlift are ahead of my Squat and Bench, so I prioritize the later two to remain more ''balanced'' in terms of strength.

It's also a good way to evaluate where you are at strength wise. Some people drastically overestimate how strong they are. My life time goal would be to hit ''Exceptional'' at the 5 main lifts.

To give you an idea, at my weight that is:

Squat 492
Bench 368
Deadlift 566
Press 239
Chin Ups BW+145

The lesser advanced level is (ironically) ''Advanced'' and is a lot more attainable for most people. Getting to that level in all 5 lifts is my current goal for the year.

Squat 431 (current 367)
Bench 322 (current 254)
Deadlift 495 (current 426)
Press 209 (current 186)
Chin Ups BW+113 (current 117)

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Hitting those numbers while running a tough conditioning program would be a tremendous accomplishment. I've been at/above them in the past but with zero conditioning work at the time (which makes it much, much easier).

jzt

Post by jzt »

jzt wrote:Week 2 - Day 1 (65% 1RM)

WCU 4x5 BW+4
BP 5x5 166
SQ 3x5 236

Mobility

Lifts felt pretty easy, as they should given the %. I skipped the assistance work today since I had a pretty busy schedule and upped the sets on the main lifts. I'll catch up on it tomorrow at work if need be.

Week 2 - Day 2

Jogging
3.0 KM
17:55 mins
10.1 KM/H

Mobility

Week 2 - Day 3 (65% RM)

Yesterday's jogging really took a beating on my knees, I might reconsider the type of LISS cardio I do. I have a bike I might need to take out, or focus more on my BJJ and rolls for light cardio. Also thought about rope jumping.

WCU 4x5 BW+4
OHP 4x5 122
DL 3x3 281

Reverse Hypers 2x20 BW
AB Roller 2x20 BW

Mobility

Everything felt really light, except the OHP for some reason, perhaps I'm still recovering from the 5x5 Bench session.

Week 2 - Day 4

Mobility

Rest day. I'm about to leave for a few days, so the next two days I'll have to do back to back MxS workouts, and probably an HIC session thrown in there as well. We'll see how it goes.

Week 2 - Day 5 (65% RM)

WCU 4x5 BW+4
BP 5x5 166
SQ 3x5 236

Rowing
2KM in 9:48 mins
avg speed 12.2 KM/H

Mobility

The rowing felt insanely awkward, I was actually spending half the time readjusting. Not sure Im a big fan. I was at work so didnt have access to my heavy bag or BJJ dummy. The strength work felt easy. I had a mirror this time which helped for the squats.
Week 2 - Day 6

OFF

Week 2 - Day 7

OFF

I'll be posting the screenshots directly from EXCEL week by week for updates. I'll post if any session needs additional notes/comments.