Nick's Log

Nick

Re: Nick's Log

Post by Nick »

9 DEC19

3.5 miles, 32:48. Didn't feel good, but I'm glad I did it.
The wind calls your name; get out of your bed.

Nick

Post by Nick »

9 DEC19

Zulu 2.1

Chin-ups (BW) 6 reps x 5 sets
OHP (135) 5x5
Deads (300) 5x5
Hand Release Push-ups, 13 reps x 3 sets

Everything felt rough today except the deads (those felt awesome). I only got 3 sets of pushups in, started to fail on the 3rd set.

Nick

Post by Nick »

12 DEC19

Took the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

Trap-Bar Deadlift- 300lbs x 3reps
- Easy, I'll max it (340lbs) next time. Since this was my first time taking the test, I wanted to make sure I had enough left in the tank for the rest of the test, so I used a lighter weight than I needed to.

10 lb Medicine Ball Throw- 8 meters
- This is mostly form. I kind of "arc'ed" it, like a pop-fly. Need to throw it in a flatter arc. Easily the dumbest event on the test.

Sprint/Drag/Carry- 2:12 min
- This is an ass-kicker. I was also kind of confused about what I was doing. I think I can get back some time just be rehearsing the event and getting better at the transitions.

Hand Release Push-ups- 36x reps
- I was sand-bagging these a little, I wanted to make sure I had perfect form on each rep. The standard is trigger fingers need to be inside the shoulders, which is a narrower grip than I'm used to. I'm going to continue to keep these in my workouts and build strength on this movement. Maxing is 60x reps; this will take a lot of work, but I think I can get there.

Leg Tuck- 7x reps
It was about 30 degrees outside and my hands went numb during this event, so I couldn't hold on anymore. I was torn between wearing my gloves or not, and I decided I'd get a better grip with bare hands. This is a good exercise, and I'm going to keep it in my workouts. Maxing is 20x; I think I can get there, but its going to take some effort.

2 Mile Run- 15:45min
This was interesting. This is exactly the same 2 mile run time I got on my APFT a few months ago, but during the last test (APFT), I was in middle/back of the pack. This test, with the exact same run time, I came in 4th overall out of about 30x Soldiers. Even at my fastest (23-24 yo 2LT, average 2 mile time of 13:50-14:30) have I never been that close to the front of the pack.

Some thoughts:
I like the new test and I had a lot of fun doing it. The APFT has always been a bummer, and I've hated having to take it for the last 19 years (including ROTC time). This time it was just a diagnostic, though, and I may feel different when my livelihood depends on passing it.

I like that there's only one scale for males and females of all ages. There are different minimum standards for pogues and killers, but there is only one standard to max the test.

The test favors strength a lot more than the APFT. Deadlift is given equal weight as the 2 mile run. The SDC consists of dragging a 225lbs sled and carrying 2x 40lb Kettlebells. Throwing the med ball is all strength. The age of the twink is over. Long live the husky boy.

13 DEC19

Zulu 2.2

WPU (BW+10lbs) 5x5
Squats (250lbs) 5x5
Bench (205lbs) 3 sets of 5 reps. Only got 4 reps on the last set, decided to call it
Leg Tuck 5 sets of 4 reps

This felt rough, and the weights felt real heavy. Forgot my T-shirt, so I lifted in boots-n-utes, as our jarhead friends say.

Nick

Post by Nick »

16 DEC19

4 miles, 37:40. Felt good.

Nick

Post by Nick »

16 DEC19

Zulu 2.3

Chin-ups (BW) 6 reps x 4 sets, last set was only 4 reps
OHP (135lbs) 5 reps x 4 sets, last set only 3 reps
Deads (300lbs) 5x5
Hand-release pushups 13 reps x 3 sets

This workout felt ROUGH. failed on my last set of chins and OHP. Decided I'm just going to do 3x sets of Pushups.

I'm thinking of running a modification on Zulu, where I do 3 weeks cycles of 70%, 80%, and 90% and re-evaluate my weights after each cycle. Then I either force progress on exercises I feel good about, or maintain the same weights for exercises I feel I need to shore up a little bit. One of the things I don't really lie about TB is that I want quicker feedback on what's progressing and what isn't; 6 weeks is a long time and I get impatient!

Nick

Post by Nick »

18 DEC19

Zulu 2.4

Horrible workout.

WPU (BW+10lbs) 3 sets x 5 reps, 3 reps on the 4th set
Squats (250lbs) 5x5
Bench (205lbs) 3 sets of 5 reps, 4 reps on the 4th set.
Leg Tuck 5 sets of 4 reps

Just felt weak, decided to take 19 DEC off, slept in (until 0630..) to try and recover a little.

20 DEC19

Ran 4 miles on the treadmill, 37:21. Felt good, felt very restorative.

the plan as it stands for now;

I think 4-5 days of cardio and 4 days of lifting is a bit much for me, recovery wise. I'm going to finish out the 3 rep/90% week next week, go on vacation where I'm gonna do some running, and then roll into the new years with one of the 3 days-per-week lifting/running templates. I may do Mass again, or I may do OP I/A.

Nick

Post by Nick »

23 DEC19

Zulu 3.1

Chinups (BW) 3 sets of 7 reps, 2 reps on the 4th set
OHP (150) 5 sets of 3 reps
Deads (335) 5 sets of 3 reps

Last weeks workouts felt horrible, so I took a few days off, slept in and ate some cake. This workout still didnt feel great, but it felt a little better than last week.

Skipped pushups because.

Nick

Post by Nick »

It's been a few weeks since I've posted. First the holidays, then work got pretty crazy there for a week or so.

I finished my Zulu cycle, and over Christmas I did a few easy runs with my family, but no lifting. I'm back on a 3 day conditioning/3 day Mass (from the earlier edition of TB). Just finished week one. Maxes are;

WPU: 290 (with bodyweight)
OHP: 165
Bench: 255
Squat: 315
Dead: 380

Week one complete, all three workouts were;

Chins (bw): 4 sets x 6 reps
Bench (190): 4x6
Squat (235): 4x6
Dead (285): 1 set of 6 reps

Nick

Post by Nick »

14 Jan

OHP (125lbs) 4 sets x 6 reps

then...

Meateater, 10 rounds of 100meter sprints, 20x 2 hand swings with a 50lbs KB. Walk back to start.

Felt good.

Nick

Post by Nick »

15 Jan

Mass 2.1

Chins (BW + 10lbs) 3 sets of 5 reps, failed at 3 reps on the last set
Bench (205lbs) 4 sets of 5 reps
Squat (250lbs) 4 sets of 5 reps
Deads (305) 1 set of 5 reps

Felt good. Feeling like I need to get abs back ik n there somewhere...