Re: Barkadion TB Logs

Post by Barkadion »

09/08/2016
Black OP 1a block
Week#6, Thursday

GC-10 (Easy)
Indoor Version

A

AirBike x 2 Minutes (Active Recovery pace)
Burpees x15
x 3 Rounds

B

Prone Bridge Arm March x 20/each arm
X 3 Rounds
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

9/09/16
Week#6, Friday
Black OP 1a block

SSB Squat - 3x2, 185
BP - 3x2, 180
Chin-ups - 3x2, 25 (Super-set with SQ)
Band pull-apart - 3x15, Blue Band
RI - 2-2.5min

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

1a Block (1-6- weeks) is done! 8-)

What is next? My plan is:
  • - Forced Progression.
    - Keep the same cluster and increase # of sets to 4.
    - Still no DL. Give to hams more time to heal.
    - Changing finishers. I'll give a try to swings, TGUs, and core for 1st, 3d, 5th days respectfully. Starting light and going by feelings.
    - Keep 2 HIC. ME2 stays for sure. Not sure about 2nd one. Might be switching between Aibike intervals and GCs. I like doing GCs for easy weeks.
    - Keeping 1 LSS every other week. Will try to shoot for ~60min run.
    - Still no sprints for the same hams sake.
    - Might switch to Operator I/A scheme. Meaning MS/HIS/OFF, MS/HIS/OFF, MS/HIS/OFF schedule.
    - IStarting 1b Block (weeks 7-12) next Monday.
I'd appreciate your suggestions if you are reading this log.

Cheers, TB mates. :)
Last edited by Barkadion on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Enjoy the weekend of rest ;)

Have you ever tried the Get-ups with a sandbag........ nowhere near as technical as with a weight in hand....simply have the SB over the chest/shoulder...... really amps up the effectiveness of the movement..... goes away from the shoulder health side of things....but with a 70# SB, it becomes a real battle......good times :twisted:
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Enjoy the weekend of rest ;)

Have you ever tried the Get-ups with a sandbag........ nowhere near as technical as with a weight in hand....simply have the SB over the chest/shoulder...... really amps up the effectiveness of the movement..... goes away from the shoulder health side of things....but with a 70# SB, it becomes a real battle......good times :twisted:
Thanks! No, never tried those.. One of the reason I want to add GTUs is a shoulder stability support.

I know Ross is a big promoter of "pick up/throw over the shoulder" sandbag moves. Gotta try those sometime. I can see that it can replace sledgehammer moves easily.

Thanks for the advice!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Barkadion wrote:
Thanks! No, never tried those.. One of the reason I want to add GTUs is a shoulder stability support
In that case, the TGU is a superb choice..... Even breaking the whole move into its constituent parts is great.....work on the ground (roll to elbow, then onto hand, then bring the leg back.....simply great for working the shoulder from the different angles).... Or from the finished 'Up' position and working down..... An exercise that is good for all.

We sometimes get our guys to warm up with 3 of each element before moving to the whole movement.

Have fun.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Thanks! No, never tried those.. One of the reason I want to add GTUs is a shoulder stability support
In that case, the TGU is a superb choice..... Even breaking the whole move into its constituent parts is great.....work on the ground (roll to elbow, then onto hand, then bring the leg back.....simply great for working the shoulder from the different angles).... Or from the finished 'Up' position and working down..... An exercise that is good for all.

We sometimes get our guys to warm up with 3 of each element before moving to the whole movement.

Have fun.
You know what.. That is a great suggestion considering my basement ceiling is low. I need to aim between wood studs to get the whole move so my form is far form ideal. Breaking it into the parts might serve me very well! Thanks mate!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I see you are using a safety squat bar. Interesting. I've gone back and forth on that piece of apparatus over the years. What moves you to use it? Is it to save on your shoulders/elbows? Do you think it's better for your back? Is it just for the sake of variety? Those are all, in my book, good reasons, but I'd love to hear your views. I'm kicking around going back to the SSB as my main squat movement. I used to have in the mix as a heavy accessory when I was powerlifting.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I see you are using a safety squat bar. Interesting. I've gone back and forth on that piece of apparatus over the years. What moves you to use it? Is it to save on your shoulders/elbows? Do you think it's better for your back? Is it just for the sake of variety? Those are all, in my book, good reasons, but I'd love to hear your views. I'm kicking around going back to the SSB as my main squat movement. I used to have in the mix as a heavy accessory when I was powerlifting.
Investing into SSB was the smartest investment of my life. I've got training tool for life.

I got introduced to it when I wrecked my left shoulder with benching. There was no way I could place my hands on the bar for a squatting. And SSB came into the picture like a miracle. It took me a little while to get completely comfortable with it. Not too long, though. I forgot about my shoulder and was able to squat.

So, few points:

- I'd say SSB is a perfect middle ground between Front Squat and Back squat. It shifts center of gravity to your middle line and you can stay more upright during the squat. It involves abs and quads (like fronts) and it is easier on your lower back and hips (easier than backs). Actually, it does work your quads a lot.
- Very easy on shoulder/elbows. Feels just safe and comfortable. All you need is brace and bring your ribs down a bit. And you are golden to squat.
- I was surprised how comfortable it felt with narrow stance for SSB. I used to back squat with wide stance. It was due to my poor mobility I guess. Once I found my comfortable (somewhat narrow) stance with SSB.. I can go ATG and it feels very natural. All my warm-up sets are paused ATG and my hips thank me.
- Some folks use it for good mornings and even front squat. I don't.
- I don't even want to do original back squat anymore. I found my sweet spot with SSB. Why would I? I am not chasing any particular PL goals. Safety is the priority. So, SSB wins.

Just my 2c..

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Right on. You are affirming my own intuitions about the SSB. I think that next cycle I might work it back in as my SQ movement. Thanks!