Code: Select all

Bench press:         Squat:            Assisted Chinup:
5x45                       5x45               5xTRX Heavy band
5x65                       5x95               5xTRX Medium band
5x75                       5x135             5xTRX Medium band
5x95                       5x145
5x115
5x135
Day one of Base Building, Strength-First template. I've never seriously lifted before, so today was spent finding my starting loads. Squat form felt shaky, probably partly why squat numbers so low. Will record self next time and post to Reddit for advice.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

Barkadion

Re: OneOfManyRobs Training Log

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome and good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Squats are extremely effective but it might be the most difficult lift to master.

Post by Likes »

Welcome.

Good luck and have fun!

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

Thanks, all!

12/4/2019

LSS jog x 30 minutes.

I'm a bit sore from lifting yesterday, but not so much that it interferes with everyday activity. Jog went fine; focused on breathing through nose entire time to keep heart rate under control.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

12/5/2019:

OHP:               Deadlift:
5x45               5x135
5x65               5x185
5x95               5x200
5x105
Lifting 3x week, variant of GSLP. OHP felt a bit off, I'll read up on the form for next week. Deadlift felt ok, likely due to lots of practice with kettlebell swings.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

12/6/2019

30 minute LSS jog. Back feels surprisingly good after deadlifts last night.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

12/7/2019:

Bench Press:         Assisted Chinup:                 Squats:
5x45                  5 x TRX medium band             5x45
5x115                 5 x TRX medium band             5x95
5x140                 3 x TRX medium band             4x155
5x140
7x140
Bench Press felt great, other lifts not so much. I think I needed at least one more warmup set on the squat, and my form is still probably bad. I'll deload it to 140 next time, and post video for feedback. Didn't have time to record lifting form this morning. Assist Chinups need more assist, I'll use my TRX heavy band next time.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

12/8/2019

50 minute LSS jog, with about 5 total minutes of walking sprinkled in there. Felt dehydrated today.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

OneOfManyRobs wrote:I think I needed at least one more warmup set on the squat, and my form is still probably bad. I'll deload it to 140 next time, and post video for feedback. Didn't have time to record lifting form this morning. Assist Chinups need more assist, I'll use my TRX heavy band next time.
I don't know what warm-up protocol you are using, but I like to use 4 evenly spaced jumps from the bar to my working weight at 5, 3, and 2 reps. Some people start with the bar x 5. (I never do this.) So If I am squatting 200 (and the bar is 45), it would look like this with the bar:

Bar (45) x 5 (Again, I usually don't do the bar. I just proceed to the 5 rep set below.)
85 x 5
125 x 3
160 x 2
200 (working sets)

If you're working weight is lower or higher, I still think that this is a good way to warmup. It eases you up to your working weight without wearing you out for your working weight. Some people would say that if your working weight is low, then you don't need warm-up sets. I've tried this and it didn't work for me so I stick with what I've outlined above.