Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/24/2020
Block 1, week 6
GSLP/Black
MS
Bench press: 150 x 2 x 5, 150 x 1 x 10
Chinup negatives: 1 x 3
Squats: 165 x 2 x 5, 165 x 1 x 8

Left shoulder still hurts on chinup negatives, so I'm dropping it for at least the remainder of this week. Bench press still feels strong, squats are ok.

Been on vacation for past week, turned into staycation due to COVID-19. Not eating according to best practices, to put it mildly. I can feel that in my lifts. Looking forward to getting back into my work routine this week, it helps give me focus.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

VenomousCoffee

Re: OneOfManyRobs Training Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Reading your description of Apex Hills makes me wish I had some actual hills around here. Would love to try them.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

Thanks! They're great for shifting a bit of the load from my legs to my lungs, which is what I need while I'm on a linear weight program.

You could probably get most of the benefits by subbing a 100 yard/meter sprint for the hill portion. It's not quite the same, but close enough for practical purposes.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/25/2020
Block 1, week 6
GSLP/Black
HIC
Hill Sprints x 7
Kettlebell practice x 10 minutes

Sprints went well. Kettlebell swings irritate my sciatica during a flare-up, so I skipped the swings at the top of the hill today. Once I had moved around and gotten moving from all the sprints, the pain subsided enough for me to practice kettlebell clean technique until I got tired of banging my forearms. Adding kettlebell complexes to the quiver would be nice.

Funny thing about sciatica: movement is one of the best things to manage symptoms, and one of the hardest things to do when symptoms get bad. Being in a seated position is a trigger for it, and the hip hinge movement seems to rub the nerve in the same way.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/26/2020
Block 1, week 6
GSLP/Black
MS

OHP: 100 x 2 x 5, 100 x 1 x 5
Deadlift: 195 x 7

I feel fine, but today felt a bit off on the lifts. My OHP form started going sideways on the AMRAP set, so I called it early. The Deadlift felt ok, until I started getting dizzy at the top of the rep. I'll review some form videos, I might be messing up the breathing pattern.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/27/2020
Block 1, week 6
GSLP/Black
HIC - Hill Sprints x 2

Easy week training - mostly to keep in the habit of training this day. Legs felt tired.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/28/2020
Block 1, week 6
GSLP/Black
MS

Bench press: 155 x 2 x 5, 155 x 1 x 10
Squats: 170 x 2 x 5, 170 x 1 x 6
Swings: 32kg x 1 x 10

Broke through my squat reset number, and swung my new kettlebell. Good day! I can already feel that the 32kg 'bell will push my technique further. I'll try a TGU with it soon; doing so right after a hard set of squats seemed like an unwise choice.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

3/31/2020
Block 1, Week 7
GSLP/Black
MS

Squats: 175 x 2 x 5, 175 x 1 x 8
OHP: 105 x 2 x 5, 105 x 1 x 7
Assisted Scapular Pulls: 1x8

Realized shoulder likely hurt on Chinup Negatives due to lack of back strength. I'll be stepping further back in the pullup progression exercises, so that I learn to do the movements safely.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/1/2020
Block 1, week 7
GSLP/black
HIC

Apex Hills, 32kg x 5

Felt good! Farmer's carry on the way out, alternating sides suitcase carry on the way back.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/2/2020
Block 1, week 7
GSLP/Black
MS
Bench press: 160 x 2 x 5, 160 x 1 x 8
Deadlift: 205 x 1 x 5

Picked something up awkwardly at work yesterday, and felt a twinge in my back. Decided to play it conservative on the DL today. Warm-up went ok, the first five reps of the working set felt ok but a bit off, decided to take the better part of value before I got hurt.

I'm actually looking forward to reading the end of the LP lifting program. I like the gains, but I can tell my conditioning is suffering a bit with the focus on MS. It'll be nice to have a bit more of a balance.