OneOfManyRobs

Re: OneOfManyRobs Training Log

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/3/2020
Block 1, week 7
GSLP/Black
HIC

Hill Sprints x 4

Did these with a friend today, staying 6 feet (or, as we in Parks put it, one turkey-vulture wingspan) apart. Low back is still a bit of, so I skipped the Apex Hills to give it a break.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/4/2020

Rest day due to schedule change at work.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/5/2020
Block 1, week 7
GSLP/Black
MS

OHP: 110 x 2 x 5, 110 x 1 x 3
Bodyweight rows: 3 x 5
Squats: 185 x 1 x 5 -FAILED SECOND SET-

Did this training dead tired and hungry. Probably why I failed the second set of squats, and could only manage 3 OHPs on the AMRAP set. Since this is my second reset on the GSLP program, I'll be transitioning to the periodized lifting schedule of TB1.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

PLAN FOR NEXT BLOCK:

I'm planning on a Zulu schedule, with a minimalist cluster. My conditioning has suffered a bit while on GSLP, and I'd like to address that. My lifts will be as follows:

A: Low back squat, OHP
B: Bench Press, Pullup Progression

I want to work up to weighted pullups, but I've got some work to do before I can do regular BW pullups. I'll be using the r/bodyweightfitness Recommended Routine pullup progression on my "B" days, going from Scapular Pulls to Arch Hangs to Pullup Negatives to Pullups. Once I can do the TB1 recommended 10 BW pullups in a row, I'll start adding weight.

HIC will be Apex Hills and 600m resets on lifting days, with a variable E on the 5th training day. So, the schedule will look like this:

Day 1: MS A, Apex Hills
Day 2: MS B, 600m resets, Core work
Day 3: Rest/Recovery
Day 4: MS A, Apex Hills
Day 5: MS B, 600m resets, Core work
Day 6: E
Day 7: Rest

I'll try variable reps on the HIC, with higher reps on easier lifting weeks. So, the 70%/75% weeks will have more reps, and the 90%/95% weeks will have nothing more strenuous than an easy walk around the neighborhood.

Since I'll be doing back squats and 32kg Swings on Apex Hills days, I'll hold off on adding deadlifts for now and see how they test next block.

I'll test maxes on 4/8, and start the new block on 4/14.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/8/2020
Between Block Testing

Low Back Squat: 205 lbs. x 4 = 224 1RM
Deadlift: 275 x 2 = 283 1RM
Bench Press: 185 x 3 = 196 1RM

Decided to swap Deadlifts in for OHP, since OHP and Bench Press use a lot of the same muscles. Built trainaing plan for next block, using 90% training max.

Starting next block on 4/14.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/14/2020
Block 2, Week 1
Zulu/Black:Professional

MS:
Squat, Low-Bar: 140 x 3 x 5
Bench Press: 122.5 x 3 x 5
Suitcase Carry, 24kg x 188 yards, 1x each R/L

HIC: 24kg Apex Hills x 8, 130 yard run distance

Ass = kicked. I had to set the kb down a couple of times on the Left side carry, en route to my garage. The nice thing is that, after a shower, some food/water, and a couple hours to rest, I feel like I could do a foot chase if I had to.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/15/2020

Sick day

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

4/16/2020
Block 2, Week 1
Zulu/Black:Professional
Deadlift: 175 x 1 x 5
Scapular Pulls: 2 x 5
600m resets x 4
Finisher: Hollow-body hold x 1 minute

Testing the waters on the scapular pulls. Two sets feels fine on my shoulders, so next time I'll try the full 3. The 600m resets were harder than I was expecting; it's what I get for skipping the LSS work while on GSLP. I've scheduled 1 day/week for E work, so I'll see if that helps bring the 600m resets back to where I'd like them.

Hollow-body holds might get moved to the "A" days, as the 600m resets take more out of me. I could feel my neck muscles working on the last 15 seconds or so of the hold, which is the opposite of what I want.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

I realized that the HIC load I had planned was far, far too much. I dialed it back to two HIC sessions per week, then realized that I may as well get the volume from operator if I'm doing that. So, I re-did my plan, and restarted block 2.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

Block 2, Week 1
Operator/Black:Professional

4/21/2020
Squats: 155 x 3 x 5
Bench Press: 135 x 3 x 5
Scapular Pulls: 3 x 5

4/22/2020
Apex Hills 24kg x 4
Suitcase Carry 1x side 24kg x 188 yards

4/23/2020

4/24/2020
Apex Hills 32kg x 4
Did these at an elementary school, with a very steep entrance drive. Driving the kettlebell to the location meant my farmer's carry max wasn't a limiting factor anymore.

4/25/2020

4/26/2020
LSS jogging x 30 minutes.
I can tell I need to do more of this, the 30 minutes was far harder than it should have been.

Thoughts on this week: Due to the campground being closed for COVID-19, I've been able to do far more foot patrols at work. I've been hiking over uneven terrain for 3 hours or so, in full duty gear (under-shirt ballistic vest + duty belt) for 4 days straight, which is a lot more than I had been doing. It's good, and I can feel the additional workload on my body. I'll try bumping up the Apex Hill reps next week, and see how that goes.