Starting Fresh(BJJ Oriented Training)

Liftrunwrite

Starting Fresh(BJJ Oriented Training)

Post by Liftrunwrite »

So long story short last year I had very, very, very bad Achilles tendonitis and had to do most of my fitness with just lifting and a little HIC. I'm starting with a modified Base Building again this week, and also start BJJ back up. Going through a divorce and one of the things I'm doing for my mental health is to reclaim the things I love that I neglected while married. One of those things is martial arts. My schedule will look something like...

M - Lift + SE

Tu- E Session / BJJ

W- Lift + HIC

Th- E Session / BJJ

F- Lift + SE

Sa- L E Run / BJJ

Su- Rest and yoga

Reasons for modifications-- Last year proved my body DOES NOT like long runs back to back. My body has also proven in the past it does well with max strength and SE at the same time. Starting with super low overall volume(3x5 circuits as the first) and progressing from there.

Other modifications-- Using the same 3 week wave concept, but going from 65-85 rather than 75-95. Same equivalent of taking a training max, but all my maxes are in training, unhyped so I don't really get the point of a redundant concept in this instance.

My lifting cluster is Squat/Bench/W. Chin. I do Heavy KB swings and TGU for core. I also do grip work.

My SE is L-Pullup, Feet-elevated pushup, lunge, KB swing, DB OHP, DB rear delt flies(these have always been magic for me for preventing shoulder injuries).

The one HIC a week is optional depending on how much high intensity work I get from BJJ that week.

Overall goal of this cycle is to maintain strength, increase strength endurance, and get my RHR back down to the low 50s. It's currently low 60s right now. Also would like to hit 10% bodyfat before summer, somwhere around 14-15% right now.
Last edited by Liftrunwrite on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have promises I must keep
And many miles to go before I sleep
And many miles to go before I sleep."

Liftrunwrite

Re: Starting Fresh

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Monday -

Session 1- Lifting + SE

1) Squat 265 x 5 x 3
2) Bench 205 x 5 x 3
3) Weighted Chin Up 70 x 5 x 3
Rests were 2-3 minutes.

SE-
1) L Pullup
2) Feet-elevated pushup
3) Lunge #70
4) KB Swing #70
5) DB OHP #25s
6) DB RDF #25s
3 x 8, rests between circuits were <1:00. No rests between exercises.

Core-
5 minute clock
1) TGU #90
2) KB Swing 10 x #100
Got through 4 get ups per side. Felt stable.

Session 2- BJJ

1) 1.5 Hours of drills.

Was drained as fuck as I haven't combined lifting and martial arts on the same day in several, several years.

Liftrunwrite

Re: Starting Fresh(BJJ Oriented Training)

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Tuesday -

BJJ was on Monday for me instead of Tuesday. Not yet ready to go into 5x a week training, keeping it at 3x a week now until my body adjusts.

1) E Run - 40 minutes

Average pace was 13. My aerobic system has turned to hot trash over the winter months. Base building block should fix that. I'll be satisfied when my RHR is low 50s and I can run in Zone 2 around a 10 minute mile again.

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Wednesday -

Felt suuuper sore today. Getting down into a squat was rough. Took a page out of my old playbook from my powerlifting days and subbed in a dynamic effort day using INOL guidelines to make sure I was doing the same amount of work as planned. No HIC, either, respecting my achilles this base building cycle.

1) Squat 195 x 4 x 9
2) Clapping pushup x 4 x 11
3) Ballistic pullup x 7 x 4

Solid 10 minutes of static stretching. Want to get back to being as limber as I once was.

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Thursday-

1) 1.5 Hours BJJ

No E session today, Achilles felt a little funny, so I'm respecting that. Easing into a really dense schedule here. Today will be a full Lift + SE day. And then tomorrow I have a 1.5-2.5 BJJ session and then it's resting and refeeding for the rest of the weekend. First full week back since surgery, so going pretty well so far.

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Friday-

Took a recovery day. Body was telling me to fuck right off.

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Rested and refueld overthe weekend. Considering last week a week 0. Not quite ready for a full week of BB + BJJ yet. Still getting my work capacity dialed back in. Dropping the lifting and just doing BB as written, starting at a 3 x 10 cluster, and no running days back to back.

M- SE
Tu- E / BJJ
W- SE
Th- E / BJJ
F- Recovery or SE
Sa- E, Long / BJJ
Su- Rest

The no running days back to back is a neccessary modification for my achilles. Giving myself the option of a 3rd SE on weeks I feel fresh. Hopefully I can manage a full week this time and also continue avoiding nCOVID-19. I'll be switching to the Lifting portion of BB at 6 weeks, as written.