Diary of a Desk Jockey

DeskJockey

Diary of a Desk Jockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Short bio: 33M, overweight, out of shape, sedentary lifestyle. Just trying to get in better shape for my health. I've read a bunch of books on fitness (probably too many, when I should have stopped reading and started running or lifting), and I liked TB because of how it combines both cardio and strength training.

Tried to do Base-Building, and I couldn't get through the first workout, so it's pre-Base Building for me.

DeskJockey

Re: Diary of a Desk Jockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Day 1:

All exercises with an empty bar (45lb) except for sit-ups (bodyweight only). 90s rest between each set.

3x10 Overhead press
3x10 Bent over row
3x10 Squat
3x10 Romanian deadlift
3x10 Sit-ups

Overall, not too bad. Manageable, but got my heart pumping. I can tell I'm out of shape. Just hoping the DOMS isn't too bad.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Day 2:

5 min warmup walk

6 rounds of:
60s run
90s walk

Not too bad. Got me sweating, but felt easy overall.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Day 3:

**Pre-Base Building W1D3**

Empty bar (45lbs) for all, except sit-ups (bodyweight only). 90s rest between each set.

* OHP 3x10
* Bent-over row 3x10
* Squat 3x10
* RDL 3x10
* Sit-ups 3x10

Only got 5 hours sleep the night before (woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, never really had that happen to me before). It was a struggle, but I got through it. Felt absolutely roasted when I was done.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Good job, keep it up. If you just keep showing up, even if a session doesn't go great, it will become habit, and in a couple months you will feel better. Also you deserve kudos for not naming your training log, in the forum Training Logs, as Something Log. Let that wild imagination carry you through the start of this.

Also, having done a lot of programs over the years, think you have picked a really good one for getting into and maintaining good health.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thanks! Glad I made a good choice :) .

Day 4:

**Tactical Barbell Pre-Base Building W1D4**

5 min warmup walk

6 rounds of:

* 60s run
* 90s walk

Felt OK, about the same as last time.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Day 5:

**Tactical Barbell Pre-Base Building W1D5**

Empty bar (45lbs) for all, except sit-ups (bodyweight only). 90s rest between each set.

* OHP 3x10
* Bent-over row 3x10
* Squat 3x10
* RDL 3x10
* Sit-ups 3x10

Felt good overall. Easier than last time. Which is fortunate because the volume doubles next week.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Day 6:

**Tactical Barbell Pre-Base Building W1D6**

5 min warmup walk

*8* rounds of:

* 60s run
* 90s walk

And then a bit more walking to bring it to an even 30:00 total.

Felt good, like I could keep on going. I was pumped up and getting into the rhythm, but stopped there to stick to the program and avoid overdoing it.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

great work so far!

just so you know you don't ever have to stop the walk breaks. For anything over 10k i take a 10-15s walk break every 400-500m, and I can do a low 50s 10km in this method without pushing that hard.

good luck.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thanks!

Day 7:

**Tactical Barbell Pre-Base Building W2D1**

* OHP 3x20
* Bent-over row 3x20
* Squat 3x20
* DNF

It was a rough workout. Started out OK, but I don't think I completed a full set without having to stop to catch my breath around rep 12. And sometimes even more stops after that. Silver lining: got a nice pump in my arm muscles. But after the last set of squats, I just sat on the floor and couldn't go on. I felt like I couldn't face more leg exercises (RDL) after that if I wanted to make it up the stairs. Even my core felt exhausted. And even unracking the barbell to the floor for the RDLs seemed like too much for my arms. My arms were shaking for at least an hour after I was done.

I guess I'll do the endurance work tomorrow, and try this workout again the day after.