mauldms Training Log

mauldms

Re: mauldms Training Log

Post by mauldms »

So, I totally sucked this past week. After my last E session I did absolutely nothing due to a mix of apathy and a cold. Going to re-start Week 3 of PBB tonight

tk_swag1234

Post by tk_swag1234 »

No worries man, as long as you don't give up. Plus, restarting a week just means you get more of the same training in, giving you more time to adapt. Slow and steady progress

mauldms

Post by mauldms »

PBB Week 3 v2.0
1/24: Apathy and lethargy continued. I know I am mind-fucking myself because I get into this temporal mindset where if I miss a session I mentally start resorting to "well, if I missed one then I might as well just miss them all" kind of bullshit. Honestly, I just to need to get in the gym or on the road and do it. I am re-thinking and considering just blowing off this PBB stuff (since I am already capable of doing LSS for greater than 30 minutes without a problem) and just going into BB with a strength focus first.

1/25: So, not a great start, but I did do some yoga last night with the wife after we put the kids to bed. She's on her own health journey and started some type of yoga program to get back into it, so I joined her for about a 30 minute session. Man, it was a surprisingly good workout and my lack of flexibility and mobility was on full display. I think I might start incorporating some yoga every couple of days just to mix it up (in addition to TB, not a replacement).

1/26: E LSS for 25:00; actually ran for 30:47, 2.76mi, 11:09 average pace, 146avg bpm, 164max bpm. Had a 4am VTC with the east coast so after the VTC I went for a run. It felt really good. Felt stronger with my stride and it was nice to see my pace keep getting lower while running a little bit further and feeling like I had plenty of gas left. Mindset wise, I am just going to focus on being active for the next week and a half instead of rigidly following the PBB protocol. We are flying to a wedding next week on the big island and making it a mini-vacation with the kids so I plan to do some bodyweight SE and E work for the rest of this week and during the mini-vacation and then when I get back will probably start testing maxes and getting into BB with a strength focus.

1/27: E LSS for 25:00; actually ran for 30:56, 2.73mi, 11:20 average pace, 144avg bpm, 170max bpm. Didn't realize that I ran yesterday morning at the ass crack of dawn until I got on here to log this run. Oh well, I felt good enough to run so I guess it worked out.

tk_swag1234

Post by tk_swag1234 »

mauldms wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:03 pm PBB Week 3 v2.0
1/24: "well, if I missed one then I might as well just miss them all"
Hi, perhaps you could view your training not as a weekly schedule but a list of sessions, this way your schedule can be more flexible and you might not feel this way.

mauldms

Post by mauldms »

tk_swag1234 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:36 am Hi, perhaps you could view your training not as a weekly schedule but a list of sessions, this way your schedule can be more flexible and you might not feel this way.
Not a bad idea. Even just thinking about it as sessions instead of a rigid schedule mentally makes it more palatable. I just need to do it now.

1/28: No formal training, although I did more yoga with the missus and that got a pretty good sweat going surprisingly.

1/29: No formal training, although I did yoga again with the missus and I took the kids for a long walk (about 30 minutes).

1/30: E LSS for 25:00-50:00; actually ran for 38:35, 3.25 miles, 11:44avg, 138avg bpm, 157max bpm

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

that's not a bad run actually. at that heart rate.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

mauldms

Post by mauldms »

godjira1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:17 am that's not a bad run actually. at that heart rate.
I've heard "painfully slow" is the way to go so that's what I've been trying to do. I've had to shorten my stride and I try to focus on nose breathing and keeping it conversational. The only time the heart rate really elevates is on the inclines (I live on a small mountain)

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

At 44/m, i can cover 800m in 2:48, mile in 6:08. However 80%+ of my mileage is done around 9:30/mi pace. This is the way to train sustainably.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

mauldms

Post by mauldms »

Spent all last week on a family vacation (our first since before covid) and did lots of day hikes and sightseeing but no formal workouts. Got home yesterday and all of us started experiencing symptoms. Tested this morning and awaiting results. Regardless of outcome, I'm going to take it day by day on how I feel and getting back into programming.

mauldms

Post by mauldms »

And we are covid positive. Thankfully symptoms have been relatively mild for everyone. I've been exhausted so I'm going to continue taking a day by day approach on working out.