Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 7/8, Workout 2/5

Tu 8 Mar 22 - 0510-0550

Standard Mobility + Stretching ~10 min

HIC: Assault Bike Power Intervals
5:00 easy pedal warmup

1:30 min work, 4:30 min RI * 4

4:00 easy pedal cooldown

160 Cal

- I thought I'd go for 5 work intervals but it didn't happen.
- I am really not mentally engaged in this program. I am not sure why I'm struggling. It's probably not the program, per se, but I definitely am not looking forward to workouts. I will be out of the gym next week (mini vacation for kids' spring break), so maybe that break will help.

B71

Re: B71 return to TB

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 7/8, Workout 3/5

Th 10 Mar 22 - 0510-0606

Max Str (80%)

{Front Squat 8/8/8 * 145
{Landmine Sh. Press 8/8/8 *25

{Pec Deck 8/8/8 * @105
{Ham Curl 8/X/X * @30 (got edged out by a couple of teenage girls)

{Assisted Pull/Chin 8P/8N/8C @-70
{Standing Calf Raise 13/13/15 @190 (feet in/out/straight)

{EZ Cable Curl 8/8/8 @42-
{EZ Ovhd Tri 8/8/8 @35/35/42-

- tossed the barebones lifting template. I was leaving the gym bummed out.
- I went back to my super-set style whole body routine and I enjoyed it much more.
- I think I need to work in unilateral movements - the trick will be to be able to superset in a semi-crowded gym, because it's hard to hold down two machines at once. I think I need to work it so that I don't need to move the 'primary' station - so the second exercise is likely a DB movement.
- I was reading the Bellyproof stuff again (largely because my fat loss progress from last week has evaporated and I am back to exactly where I've been since I-don't-know when). I'm not sure I completely buy into the BP training method insofar as it claims to direct or engage the processes of lipolysis and fat oxidation separately. I don't think these processes respond so immediately. Still, I do believe in "use it or lose it" and so the varied structure - including mobility work - is probably a good idea. That said, the BP program is probably unworkable in a crowded gym because you need a fair bit of space or multiple machines to work through the mini-circuits it prescribes.
- It's also clear to me that the "Big 3" are becoming less important movements in my training. Jim Madden's comment in AA about considering the risk vs. benefit is apt. For squats generally, I think there's no reason to put weight on my back. I think I'd be happy to do deadlifts and bench press but I'm not entirely sure that my right shoulder will accept it right now. As fun and ego-satisfying as they are, I might need to give them a pass.
- Risk of injury aside, the Big 3 don't necessarily meet my goals. Really, I don't need to get huge and I don't need to hit PRs for strength. If I'm honest, my goals are looks first, then mobility/athleticism, and raw strength last.
- I'll have another look at the TB templates and see if I can build something from them that fits my needs and interests. I think I need to remember that I don't need 'permission' to build my own workout (i.e., it need not be a strict "OPERATOR/BLACK" or "ZULU/GREEN" template). And if I build a workout and it doesn't conform or is sub-optimal, that's fine. (In fact, any training plan is sub-optimal if you apply it against the 'wrong' goals. Optimal powerlifting programming won't improve my 10k time and is 'sub-optimal' in that regard.)
- There is another goal or objective that I haven't been considering explicitly, which is my mood and motivation. The program needs to make me feel good. I need to be able to look forward to my workout even if (or especially if) it's in the "This is awesome. This is going to suck so much" kind of way. I need to be happy after having done the workout.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 7/8, Workout 4/5

Fr 11 Mar 22 - 0510-0550

E: Recumbent Bike

30:00 easy pedal @ lvl 4 and >80RPM

168 Cal

- couldn't face the Assault Bike for a HIC session
- couldn't face the treadmill for an E jog session
- would love to get outside for an easy run but winter just won't go away here. I'm not runny on snowy, slushy roads. Looking forward to when the local trails are clear enough to run.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 7/8, Workout 5/5
Sa 12 Mar 22 - 0708-0751

1:00 min work, 4:00 min RI * 5

4:00 easy pedal cooldown

156 Cal/9836m

- decided to try a shorter sprint interval - 1 min work to 4 min rest (vice 1:30 to 4:30) - and go for 5 intervals. I found I was pacing myself too much on the 1:30 intervals.
- I enjoyed this session much more. The shorter sprint interval is "right-sized" for my level of cardio fitness.

Thoughts on Week 7
- Not the best week. In fact, the last couple of weeks have been difficult and have detracted from my enjoyment of this plan. There have been many factors contributing to my downer mood, I think: the continuing spectre of COVID, polarized political activity (such as protests in town about COVID measures), the unsettled situation with my work, one of my kids having emotional control issues, the threat of war following Russia's invasion of the Ukraine, the ineffectiveness of my attempted meal plan or my inability to stick with a rational plan to lose the pounds I want to lose, plus the never-ending winter here - all of it is compounding to bum me out.
- However, on Friday, my work situation was resolved for me. I'm not super-psyched about the decision but at least they made it, so the uncertainty is out of the way. Now it's just a matter of showing up in the new office and getting to work (even if it's not the office I would have chosen).
- This coming week, the family's off on vacation. That should help chase away the winter blahs - I hope.
- While on vacation, it's unlikely that I'll get my workouts in. I could probably use the mental break, anyway.
- When I return, I'll have to see whether I want to continue with week 8 or just move into a continuation phase. I'm leaning towards skipping the 8th week of BB.
- After re-reading a portion of AA where JM says not to fix what isn't broken, I think I'll probably go to a whole-body 3/week lifting program, since that's what I was doing for the last 2 years and it seems to work ok. For conditioning, I'm thinking I'll just cycle E, HIC and SE sessions. I've got a week to clarify my thinking on this.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 8/8, Workout 1/5

Su 20 Mar 22 - 0712-0809

'Full' Mobility + Stretching ~10 min

Max Str (~90%)

{Front Squat 5/5/5 * 185 - I played it safe. This is probably actually pretty close to 90% of a real "training max", though.
{Landmine Sh. Press 5/5/5/ * 35 - this felt great

Pec Deck 5/5/5 @130/145/160 - @160 is still a bit light. I may try bench press or incline bench soon.

Dual Pulley Pull/Chin 5P @35 / 5N @40 / 5C @45 / 5P @50 / 5N @55 / 5C @65
- I wanted to try a unilateral pull exercise but the gym didn't have a dual pulley lat pulldown machine (only single pulley), so I tried the adjustable-arm cable crossover machine. I think that I would "outgrow" it pretty quickly. I'm not sure where it maxes out, but I don't think unilateral pulldowns are happening.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 8/8, Workout 2/5

Tu 22 Mar 22 - 0508-0549

1:00 min work, 4:00 min RI * 5

2:00 easy pedal cooldown - didn't feel like hanging around for another 2-3 minutes.

155 Cal

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 8/8, Workout 3/5

Th 24 Mar 22 - 0442-0537

Standard Mobility + Stretching ~11 min

Max Str (90%)

{Front Squat 195 5/5/5
{Landmine Sh. Press 30 5/5/5

{Pec Deck 5@160/5@165/5@165
{Lat Pulldown @140 5P/5C/5N

{DB Curl 35s 5/5/5
{Standing Calf Raise 35s 30/26/26 (feet out/in/straight)
{Seated DB Tri Ext 5x35/5x45/5x50

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 1 Base Building, Ageless Athlete mods, Week 8/8, Workout 4/5

Fr 25 Mar 22 - 0510 - 0555

Quick run stretch routine (walking high knee pull, walking quad stretch, leg swings, carioca)

E: Easy jog

31:33
4.66 km
6:46/km
avg HR 149

- Looking at the numbers, I’m a little disappointed because my pace seems so slow - but I haven’t been running, either - so what can you really expect.
- I ran outside for the first time in months. I really had to work hard to convince myself to do it but even though I ran on the street, it was nice to get outside, instead of using a piece of equipment inside.
- so, despite the slow pace, today’s workout really was a win.

- I won’t get the last BB workout in because I’m travelling and I’m on vacation next week - there will be no gym time at Mom’s place.
- I’m thinking that the “continuation” protocol will be a bit more multi-modal than just ‘lift and run’
- I want to do well in my Spartan Sprint at the end of May - so I have 2 months to prepare
- I think I need to work on grip strength and rope climbing
- I should probably work in some explosive movements
- Long LSS sessions are likely unnecessary
- While I’d like to be leaner and ‘aesthetic’, I really don’t need to carry more meat around. I should probably try to get smaller (lighter with greater relative strength) actually, instead of training to GET JACKED and push big numbers.
- My right shoulder finally seems to be coming around. I’m not sure Benching is in my immediate future but I might be able to work in the low cable chest flyes (or whatever that shoveling cable movement is called)

B71

Post by B71 »

I have returned, yet again, to the Tactical Barbell methodology. Since March, I faffed around trying different things but without structure I get lost. I'm pretty much where I was earlier, except in worse cardiovascular shape: I have no endurance. I tried 'rucking' with a weight vest, but I suspect the vest was too light to really get any endurance benefits. I feel like I've resolved my shoulder problem through mobility exercises and the judicious choice of barbell/dumbbell movements in the gym.

While I had re-upped at my local globo-gym in February, I'm still not super-keen to be in a confined space with a bunch of strangers. I'm still leery of people making me sick (I got a nasty summer cold a month ago from the gym - COVID's just waiting to happen) and I'm a bit anti-social in the gym. I just want the place to myself but that's not happening, so it's back to the PowerBlocks and TRX in my garage, I guess. I think I'll treat myself to an Assault bike, though.

I'm a bit confused as to goals and objectives. I don't have specific performance objectives to shoot for - just a general sense that I need to be fitter and weigh less. Fuzzy goals are not conducive to impressive results, so I'm going to need to find something to hang my hat on.

The plan for now is to re-do Base Building and then move into Green Protocol. My endurance has never been good, so I think I'll focus on it. The TB methodology is all about excellence across fitness domains, so I don't think I'll need to worry that I'll get 'weak'. Besides, my days of pushing big weights are likely behind me. My left elbow doesn't like too much benching and I'm trying to see if I can sort my knees out (and if I do, maybe I'll get back into squatting). So heavy singles, doubles, and triples aren't on the menu.
Last edited by B71 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 1/8, Day 1/6

Mo 29 Aug 22 0520-0552

Weight/Waist: 212.7#/97.1cm

Standard mobility warmup (TRX hang, TRX thoracic twist, roller thoracic, roll out, hip stretches, "seiza" quad stretch)

SE x 10

Incline Bench 10 (50s) / Pushups 10/10

Reverse Lunge (10s) 10/10/10 (per leg)

Bent DB Row (20s) 12/12/12 ("triple grip" --, /\, ||)

DB Push Press (20s) 10/10/10

Goblet Squat (20) 10/10/10

V-Up 10/10/10

KOT Toe Raise */25/21

- starting slow with only 10 reps. Train where you're at. Take one step back to take two steps forward.
- incline bench didn't feel right. Went with pushups afterwards.
- rev lunge felt fine but I felt the hammies on the first Goblet squat.
- I want to keep the "Knees Over Toes" (KOT) exercises in. I'll have to see if I can work in Step-Downs, as well as Toe Raises.