B71 return to TB

B71

Re: B71 return to TB

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 1/8, Day 2/6

Tu 30 Aug 22 0540- ~0630

Weight/Waist: 210.2#/97.3cm

Standard mobility warmup
Abbreviated running warmup (walking high knee stretches, leg swings, walking quad stretches)

LSS x 20 min

Slow jog for 20 minutes.

- nose breathing throughout
- did not feel fast or light
- I'm still breaking in Altra zero-drop shoes (to see if it improves my knees), so maybe additional muscular strain elsewhere in legs is part of the reason I'm so f'n slow. That, and I haven't run in quite a while. And I'm coming off a week in Mexico where all I did was drink beer and sit by the pool.
- Train where you're at. Take one step back to take two steps forward.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 1, Day 3

We 31 Aug 22 0450-0532

Weight/Waist: 211.4#/97.1cm

Standard mobility warmup

Abbreviated running warmup (walking high knee stretches, leg swings, walking quad stretches)

LSS x 20 min

Slow jog for 20 minutes.

- still slow but I felt better both physically and mentally. It's not about where you're starting from...

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 1, Day 4

Th 1 Sep 22 0450-0516

Weight/Waist: 212.0#/97.3cm (I'm up again but I think it's starch and salt. I haven't been drinking wine this week, so I just need to get a grip on food again)

SE 2x10

Standard mobility warmup

Pushup 10/10
Rev Lunge (10s) 10/10
Bent Rows (20s) 12/12 (triple grip)
Push Press (20s) 10/10
Goblet Squat (20) 10/10
V-Up 10/10
Toe Raise 21/15
2 min rest between circuits.
Minimal rest between exercises.

- Felt good.
- Bump to 15 reps next week
- I think Toe Raises were hard because of running.
- Still no knee issues from running. Maybe Altra zero-drop shoes are working for me.
- Ran the back-to-back LSS sessions more for the mental benefit. I've been afraid of running two days in a row for fear of knee pain. So far, so good.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 1, Day 5

Sa 3 Sep 22 0635- ~0720

Weight/Waist: 211.0#/97.3cm

Standard mobility warmup

LSS x 30 min

Slow jog for 30 minutes.

- very slow again but felt pretty good
- I'm wondering whether I should start paying more attention to heart rate, vice breathing. The thing is that breathing is much easier to monitor. Plus, I don't really trust the Garmin watch anymore. Maybe I'll have to dig out my old Timex ironman HR monitor watch with chest strap and see if that works.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 2, Day 1

Mo 5 Sep 22 0450-0527

Weight/Waist: 213.4#/97.9cm (it is truly time to get a grip on what I'm eating)

SE 3 x 15

Standard mobility warmup - also tried to roll out outer hip flexor. They were killing me after Saturday's LSS session.

Pushup 15/15/15 - had to take a wider 'stance' to keep elbows happy
Rev Lunge (10s) 15/15/15
Bent Rows (20s) 15/15/15 (triple grip) - I think I'll just do sets with alternating grips
Push Press (20s) 15/15/15
Goblet Squat (20) 15/15/15
V-Up 15/15/12+3 - I think I'll trade this for 3 ab exercises
Toe Raise 18/15/15
3 min rest between circuits.
Minimal rest between exercises - just enough to write the reps down and swap the weights

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 2, Day 2

Tu 6 Sep 22 0450 - ~0530

Weight/Waist: 213.60#/97.5cm

Standard mobility warmup

LSS x 25 min

Slow jog for 25 minutes.

- Added 5 minutes from last week. I'll probably top out at 30 minutes during the week, as TB:AA suggests.
- Felt pretty good.
- Nose breathing throughout.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 2, Day 3

We 7 Sep 22 0450 - 0536

Weight/Waist: 211.4#/98.0cm

Standard mobility warmup

LSS x 25 min

Slow jog for 25 minutes.

- Felt pretty good.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 2, Day 5

Th 8 Sep 22 0450-0525

Weight/Waist: 212.2#/97.8cm

SE 2 x 15

Standard mobility warmup
I think hanging from the TRX to keep my shoulder happy might be causing triceps tendinopathy. I didn't have this issue when I was at the gym.

DB Squeeze Press (30s) 15/15 - pushups were giving my elbows grief, so I swapped this in
Goblet Squat (20) 15/15 - I wanted to put calf work back in, so I got rid of reverse lunges and moved the goblet squat here.
Bent Rows (20s) 15/15 (triple grip) - I think I'll just do sets with alternating grips
Push Press (20s) 15/15
Calf raises (20) 15/15
Abs 15/15 - V-ups/med ball twists
Toe Raise 15/15

- 3 min rest between circuits.
- Minimal rest between exercises - just enough to write the reps down and swap the weights

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 2 Base Building Wk 2, Day 5

Sa 10 Sep 22 0505 - 0550

Weight/Waist: 213.0#/97.5cm

Abbreviated mobility warmup - stopped TRX hang because I think it's causing my triceps tendinopathy (i.e., the elbow pain that I was getting before), did only thoracic mobility. Need to remember to do the banded shoulder dislocations.

LSS x 35 min

Slow jog for 35 minutes.

- Felt a bit slow and wasn't as enjoyable as usual.

B71

Post by B71 »

Thoughts on Base Building Week 2

I got really heavy this week - up to 214 on one morning - which is a bit of a drag because I have been trying to get my act together. It's disheartening to see the scale move up when I'm making active efforts to lose weight. That said, it's clear what I was doing wasn't working. I re-discovered some YouTube weight loss videos by Alan Thrall (ex-Marine who owns a power-lifting/strongman gym). The key, it appears, is to do what I know works (i.e., track calories (if I stay under 2400/day, I should be fine), avoid starchy carbs) and stop being such a baby about being hungry. I think eating out of boredom is the real killer for me.

I need to remember that the exercises 'prescribed' in the various SE clusters aren't scribed in stone. I need to remember that I can use whatever exercises I like and, more to the point, I should use only the exercises that work for me. I want to make sure I get the whole body involved and try to hit all of the basic movement patterns but I need to do exercises that don't cause me grief or seem ineffective.

I had some real doubts this week as to whether I should continue with this program. Watching my weight go up despite increased activity was a kick in the ego. I need to remember that the structure from TB is probably the most sensible I've found. If I don't stick with it, I know I'll just end up program-hopping and making no progress in any area. I need to remember that I can adapt TB to fit to my needs (and limitations) and to trust the process. It also reinforces the notion that you can't out-train a bad diet.

I'm also going to have to figure out my goals. Right now, I want to lose weight, move better and have better endurance. Of course, these are exactly the kind of goal statements that get you nowhere (according to all of the self-improvement stuff I've read), since they're too vague to be helpful. But I also think there's value in just adhering to the process (and incremental improvement) rather than chasing a specific outcome. The thing is, I no longer want to be the most jacked guy around (and I never have been). I'm not willing to put in the work or make the sacrifices necessary to build an impressive physique. I also no longer want to be the strongest guy I know; I'm still decently strong and I don't think adding an impressive amount of strength will improve my life - although heaving around big weights could do the opposite by causing injuries or by giving me sore knees, elbows and shoulders. Plus, I've realized that no one cares if you're jacked or how much you can deadlift.

Switching to the zero-drop Altra Lone Peak shoes has been a success so far. No knee pain at all. I may have to see if I can get my hands on a goretex version for winter.

When I think about this week, it strikes me it might have been more successful than I initially thought. I kept up with my workouts which included increased reps for SE circuits and longer time on the LSS runs. My weight is actually down on this Sunday morning from last Monday's weigh-in, despite getting bloated just before the weekend. I realized that I need to re-commit to the plan as written and adjust to my needs, instead of throwing the plan out altogether. And I realized that I can 'fix' my diet by just eliminating the snacking and eating to relieve boredom (and limiting alcohol) and keeping things the same otherwise. Now that I look at it as a whole, it was a pretty good week.