Mobility + 5 min Assault Bike warmup

45lb plate "sandbag lift" x 30
5 min rest
Burpee/run-in-place x 8
5 min rest
Intermittent Loaded shuttle (50#KB)
5 min rest
Casualty Drag (225# sled)

- I did not want to do this workout today, but I did. Victory.

B71

Re: B71 return to TB

Post by B71 »

Block 4 - GREEN protocol - Week 8, Day 3

Th 9 Feb 23 0455-0526

214.2/98.2 cm

"SLOW" Zone 2 Assault Bike

30:00 / 206 Cal / 111 Avg HR - Garmin
30:00 /138 Cal / 7.7 mi Assault Bike

- Man, LSS on the Assault Bike is super-boring

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 4 - GREEN protocol - Week 8, Day 4

Sa 11 Feb 23 0627-0720

212.6/98.0 cm

"HI-REP"

Rocker Leg Ext (unilateral) (@30) 21/21/21
Rocker Leg Curl (uni) (@60) 21/21/21
DB Shoulder raise (12s) 21 side / 21 rear / 21 front
- ~2min RI stretched in between sets

Pec Deck (@100) 21/21/17
Lat Pulldown (@85) 18 wide / 17 neutral / 15 chin

Stand Calf Machine (@170) 20 /\ 19\/ 17 ||

- It felt good to lift again. I didn't make it into the gym for a FORCE test rehearsal because roads were so dodgy on Th & Fr.
- Took 10 min sauna after the workout. Nice.

B71

Post by B71 »

Week 8/9 thoughts:

- I'm wondering if the Green level of cardio isn't what I'm after, after all. I like to lift and this template doesn't offer enough of it.
-- I was getting into running outside but the weather over the last couple of weeks made that a virtual impossibility. I should have called an audible and gone in to lift.
- I do want better cardio fitness and all of the benefits that come with it, but the "Zone 2 until you die" methodology is death by boredom, even if the science says the slow and steady approach has the best training effect.
-- Beyond the training effect, there's the actual physiological effect. "Younger Next Year" is premised on the notion of improving one's cardiovascular system (which makes sense) but I recently saw something that prescribed HIIT (or harder cardio, anyway) to increase "capillarization" (the growth of new capillaries. I'm not sure if YNY was super-clear or definitive that Zone 2 was the best way to create new capillaries. That is, there might be a training effect from a majority-Zone 2-training plan but does that kind of template also deliver the desired physiological adaptation?
-- Speaking of adaptations, I'm not at all convinced that the preponderance of slow cardio is getting me to my physique goals. I had thought I was 'over' body image stuff and that I had put physique goals aside, but I clearly haven't. I've put on a couple of pounds over the last few months and I feel like there's a correlation with my switch in workout philosophy. I feel like I've gotten in worse shape, physique-wise. I want to lose 20 lbs and this regime is not getting me any closer (admittedly, my diet isn't great - but it's not too different - if at all - from what it was a few months ago).
- I was supposed to be doing FORCE test rehearsals but I'm finding it hard to care that much about it. I did one a couple of weeks ago and my right knee got all wonky. I thought it was the sprints but maybe it's the shoes I was wearing. Regardless, I've come to the realization that I really don't care enough about my FORCE test results to derail my training for it. I'll do the test, probably get "silver" and that will be that.
- Given the suckiness of work over the past few months, I don't know that having unsatisfying workouts is the best for my mindset. I think I need the mental and emotional boost of doing workouts that I enjoy. I need to make happiness where I can.
- I might try out my idea of "Heavy, Hyper, Hi-Rep" for weights and "Slow, Stamina, Sprint" for cardio as a format. I think I could more or less map it to the Green Protocol "Hybrid/Operator" template.
- I believe in the adage "use it or lose it" and I think it meshes well with the "specificity of training" concept. That is, you don't improve something if you don't practice it.
- 6 days a week might be a bit of a challenge, though. I think I will have to accept that there will be certain weeks where I will only get 4 or 5 sessions in.
- I had had the idea that I would use different lifts for each workout, but I think I might try using the same routine and using the rep range as the variable.
- I went to a sports physio this week to look at the elbow tendinopathy I've developed. There were no stunning revelations or silver-bullet cures. Her observation was that I'm tight across the chest and shoulders and fixing that might help the elbow (in that everything-is-connected kind of way, I guess). I'll have to work in the prescribed stretches. This is another reason why a different training template might work - I have difficulty talking myself into my standard "warmup" when I'm doing Zone 2 training, given that the effort is so low. There's no point in "warming up" when the workout is basically "warmup" level throughout. As a result, maybe, I've been shortchanging myself on mobility.
- This is a lot of stuff to say I'm bored with this plan.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

B71 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:29 pm Week 8/9 thoughts:

- I'm wondering if the Green level of cardio isn't what I'm after, after all. I like to lift and this template doesn't offer enough of it.
-- I was getting into running outside but the weather over the last couple of weeks made that a virtual impossibility. I should have called an audible and gone in to lift.
- I do want better cardio fitness and all of the benefits that come with it, but the "Zone 2 until you die" methodology is death by boredom, even if the science says the slow and steady approach has the best training effect.
-- Beyond the training effect, there's the actual physiological effect. "Younger Next Year" is premised on the notion of improving one's cardiovascular system (which makes sense) but I recently saw something that prescribed HIIT (or harder cardio, anyway) to increase "capillarization" (the growth of new capillaries. I'm not sure if YNY was super-clear or definitive that Zone 2 was the best way to create new capillaries. That is, there might be a training effect from a majority-Zone 2-training plan but does that kind of template also deliver the desired physiological adaptation?
-- Speaking of adaptations, I'm not at all convinced that the preponderance of slow cardio is getting me to my physique goals. I had thought I was 'over' body image stuff and that I had put physique goals aside, but I clearly haven't. I've put on a couple of pounds over the last few months and I feel like there's a correlation with my switch in workout philosophy. I feel like I've gotten in worse shape, physique-wise. I want to lose 20 lbs and this regime is not getting me any closer (admittedly, my diet isn't great - but it's not too different - if at all - from what it was a few months ago).
- I was supposed to be doing FORCE test rehearsals but I'm finding it hard to care that much about it. I did one a couple of weeks ago and my right knee got all wonky. I thought it was the sprints but maybe it's the shoes I was wearing. Regardless, I've come to the realization that I really don't care enough about my FORCE test results to derail my training for it. I'll do the test, probably get "silver" and that will be that.
- Given the suckiness of work over the past few months, I don't know that having unsatisfying workouts is the best for my mindset. I think I need the mental and emotional boost of doing workouts that I enjoy. I need to make happiness where I can.
- I might try out my idea of "Heavy, Hyper, Hi-Rep" for weights and "Slow, Stamina, Sprint" for cardio as a format. I think I could more or less map it to the Green Protocol "Hybrid/Operator" template.
- I believe in the adage "use it or lose it" and I think it meshes well with the "specificity of training" concept. That is, you don't improve something if you don't practice it.
- 6 days a week might be a bit of a challenge, though. I think I will have to accept that there will be certain weeks where I will only get 4 or 5 sessions in.
- I had had the idea that I would use different lifts for each workout, but I think I might try using the same routine and using the rep range as the variable.
- I went to a sports physio this week to look at the elbow tendinopathy I've developed. There were no stunning revelations or silver-bullet cures. Her observation was that I'm tight across the chest and shoulders and fixing that might help the elbow (in that everything-is-connected kind of way, I guess). I'll have to work in the prescribed stretches. This is another reason why a different training template might work - I have difficulty talking myself into my standard "warmup" when I'm doing Zone 2 training, given that the effort is so low. There's no point in "warming up" when the workout is basically "warmup" level throughout. As a result, maybe, I've been shortchanging myself on mobility.
- This is a lot of stuff to say I'm bored with this plan.

Zone 2 is not the be-all and end-all. It's a piece of the puzzle, but how big that puzzle-piece is depends on your goals. For an ultra runner it's a pretty big piece. Same same for high end military selection prep. For athletes closer on the spectrum to Usain Bolt, it's almost non-existent. Then there's everything in between. The pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction now - Zone 2 has dethroned Metcon/HIC as the new 'thing', and as usual there's a lack of nuance in implementing this new great thing.

There's a reason I recommend Base (once or twice a year) + Op/Black (or variations thereof) as the standard program for the vast majority of people. It aligns with being strong, muscular, highly conditioned, and healthy. It strikes the right balance between lifting, general conditioning, and zone 2/LSS. The Hybrid Continuation templates in the Green Protocol book also fit the bill. Otherwise, Green Protocol is for endurance athletes and/or training for specific endurance based goals. Do you know what domains degrade the most drastically in aging athletes? Speed/power/explosiveness. Adding a billion hours of zone 2/LSS to your training is not the way to curb that loss and may even amplify it. Use the right dose for your goals. If you're training to be an SAS operator or Green Beret, then yes, zone 2 will play a large part in your training. Should you train like SAS or a GB if you're not one? Some more food for thought:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42&p=420&hilit=navy+seal#p420

Don't feel guilty about cutting down on LSS/Zone 2 if it doesn't align.

B71

Post by B71 »

K.B. wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:20 pm Zone 2 is not the be-all and end-all. It's a piece of the puzzle, but how big that puzzle-piece is depends on your goals. For an ultra runner it's a pretty big piece. Same same for high end military selection prep. For athletes closer on the spectrum to Usain Bolt, it's almost non-existent. Then there's everything in between. The pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction now - Zone 2 has dethroned Metcon/HIC as the new 'thing', and as usual there's a lack of nuance in implementing this new great thing.

There's a reason I recommend Base (once or twice a year) + Op/Black (or variations thereof) as the standard program for the vast majority of people. It aligns with being strong, muscular, highly conditioned, and healthy. It strikes the right balance between lifting, general conditioning, and zone 2/LSS. The Hybrid Continuation templates in the Green Protocol book also fit the bill. Otherwise, Green Protocol is for endurance athletes and/or training for specific endurance based goals. Do you know what domains degrade the most drastically in aging athletes? Speed/power/explosiveness. Adding a billion hours of zone 2/LSS to your training is not the way to curb that loss and may even amplify it. Use the right dose for your goals. If you're training to be an SAS operator or Green Beret, then yes, zone 2 will play a large part in your training. Should you train like SAS or a GB if you're not one? Some more food for thought:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42&p=420&hilit=navy+seal#p420

Don't feel guilty about cutting down on LSS/Zone 2 if it doesn't align.
1. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my "Are you there God, it's me, B71" post, KB.

2. "Zone 2 is not the be-all and end-all... Zone 2 has dethroned Metcon/HIC as the new 'thing'..." I am not immune to shiny object syndrome. I know I should be very wary about the "hot new thing" (exercise or nutrition) but dammit if I don't still get sucked into it.

3. Loss of explosiveness for aging athletes. Thank you for your insight on this. I definitely feel like this element is lacking in my workouts but I got swayed by all the Zone 2 hype and the online advice for aging athletes that amounts to "do as little as possible because you're so, so frail and weak now."

4. "Use the right dose for your goals." I know this but I still haven't internalized it. I am definitely not a special ops guy. That said, I still want to be the fittest over-50 military desk jockey I can be. I need to find the balance of pushing myself to improve without doing anything overtly stupid to hurt myself.

Thanks for helping me re-focus. Cheers.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 5 - GREEN protocol Hybrid/Operator Template - Week 1, Day 1

Mo 13 Feb 23 0426-0527

215.0/98.2 cm

70%

Mobility warmup

Squat (175) 5/5/5
- est 250 lb 1RM
- 3 min RI - did upper body stretches in between sets
- wore knee sleeves and toe shoes and took a wide stance to try to avoid knee issues

Pulldown (BW) 5/5/3
- I'll do BW until I can do 10 pullups
- decided not to switch up grip and just focus on 'proper' pullups

DB Flye (45s) 5/5/5
- all pec decks and cable stations in use
- left elbow complaining a little afterwards
- no idea what 1RM is. I'll add 5lbs per week and monitor.

Deadlift (225) 1 x 5
- est 315 1RM
- did one work set

- I figured I'd try to go as "stock" as possible with this block, instead of introducing a whole slew of modifications
- I hope to add bench press back into my workout diet, but I need to get my elbow sorted first.
- I'll keep an eye on how squats affect me. Immediately after the workout, the knees feel fine, so I am hopeful that the change to a wider stance using the barefoot shoes will continue to let me squat and keep my knees happy.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 5 - Hybrid/Operator Template - Week 1, Day 2

Tu 14 Feb 23 1045-1121

215.2/98.2 cm

Hills - Treadmill

Mobility

5 min warmup @ 1 deg / 7.5 kph
1 min hill @ 10 deg / 10 kph
2 min EZ @ 1 deg / 7.5 kph
2 min EZ @ 1 deg / 7.5 kph
2 min EZ @ 1 deg / 6.0 kph WALK
2 min EZ @ 1 deg / 6.0 kph WALK
5 min cooldown @ 1 deg / 6.0 kph WALK

Treadmill: 23:00 / 2.84 / 242 Cal
Garmin: 22:48 / 3.01 km / 280 Cal /148 av HR

- had a couple of scheduling issues this morning but I still got the workout in. Victory.
- I had planned to do 5 x sprints & 5 x EZ jog but after the second sprint, I had to walk out the last 3 sprints. I was a little disappointed but you've got to train where you're at.
- I was sucking wind but it still felt pretty good.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 5 - HYBRID/OP - Week 1, Day 3

We 15 Feb 23 0507-0606

215.0/98.4 cm

STRENGTH 70%

Mobility warmup

Squat (175) 5/5/5

Pulldown (BW) 4/4/4
- specifically did not go to failure, tried to leave 1 rep in the tank

DB Flye (45s) 5/5/5

Deadlift (225) 1 x 5

- felt good. Even though the weights are light, it feels good to feel strong.
- felt good part 2 - I was a little worried that I'd be suffering from yesterday's treadmill hill session. Seemed good.

B71

Post by B71 »

Block 5 - HYBRID/OP - Week 1, Day 4

Th 16 Feb 23 0519-0602

215.0/98.4 cm

LSS - ZONE 2

3 x Long laps of the neighbourhood

41:23
5.02 km
408 Cal
133 avg HR

- Felt good. Didn't go for 4th lap. I figured with the increase in strength work, I should ease up just a little on this LSS part.
- I noticed I didn't have to walk as often as before to get my HR back into Zone 2. I think that is largely a result of having bare streets to run on. No snow and less ice make it so I didn't have to watch my step so carefully. I think having to be super-careful of where you put your feet - even when jogging slowly - dials up the HR just a little.