Mountain Cyborg Project

atomic

Mountain Cyborg Project

Post by atomic »

The goal is to be an endurance machine in the mountains: hiking, trail running, hunting big game, backpacking, etc.

For now, the plan is to run the new Green Protocol book as written. I want lots of endurance but I also want the strength. I haven't tested the 6 miles yet but I'm guessing I could make it happen. Regardless, I will start from the beginning.

Starting stats
Weight: 235 (106.5 kg)
Height: 6'6" (198 cm)
Resting heart rate: 74

What I'm training for:
Red Feather Trail Jamboree - Sept 17th
1st rifle Elk - Oct 15th
2nd rifle Deer - Nov 1st
Horsetooth Half Marathon - April 16th (2023)

I have wrist surgery coming up, which will mean a break from lifting, but that is OK! More time to smash my legs! I've been consistently lifting/working out for the last 15 years so I'm not worried about missing a month or whatever it takes.
Last edited by atomic on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent... Press on." -- Calvin Coolidge

TBPenguin

Re: Mountain Cyborg Project

Post by TBPenguin »

Kudos on the log title!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome and good luck with the training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

atomic

Post by atomic »

Barkadion wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:41 am Welcome and good luck with the training!
Thanks, loving it so far. I've always kept endurance and strength separate in my training, really enjoying the challenge of doing both together.
TBPenguin wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:39 am Kudos on the log title!
Haha I was extremely inspired by TB2 and the Green Protocol book, which after reading I'm convinced should be called the "Cyborg Protocol".
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent... Press on." -- Calvin Coolidge

atomic

Post by atomic »

July 7 - E x 30 - Sundance Trail
30 lb ruck, 2.67 miles, 44:31
Mix of jog/walk, really rocky, lots of little hills

July 9 - E x 60 - Devil's Backbone, Hunter Loop
4.86 miles, 1:02:17
Mix of jog/walk, super rocky and HOT

Foundations: Capacity START
July 10 - OP/DUP

July 11 - E x 30
2.77 mile, 34:06
4 min jog + 1 min walk intervals

July 12 - OP/DUP

July 13 - E x 30
30 lb ruck, 2.41 miles, 42:55
Ruck club, was a short one this week!

July 14 - OP/DUP

Tomorrow is my scheduled wrist surgery, so next week I'll take it easy and will play it by ear.

atomic

Post by atomic »

Well, surgery was rough. Can't really do much with my left hand. Can not exercise for at least two weeks. I am, however, allowed to go on walks. So that is what I'm gonna do in the meantime.

I'm also going to go study /r/griptrainning to figure out what i need to do afterwards to strengthen everything.

atomic

Post by atomic »

Cast/Splint came off a week ago! I'm still trying to take it easy but I'm definitely jumping back into some things because if I sit still for too long I go crazy. Wrist absolutely hurts still, but I can still do SOMETHING. Always need to do something.

July 30th, E x 30 - Sundance Trail
Jog, about 2.38 miles total. It's a really rocky train so my calves and ankles took a beating. I walked a lot too

August 1st, E x 30 - Paved and Dirt roads
Jogged, felt better than the previous trail run. 2.51 miles total, 12 min pace. 5/1 min jog/walk intervals

August 3rd, E x 30 - Paved roads and "hill" repeats
2.71 miles, about 11 min pace. I took it nice and easy for the first half, then did a loop that has a "hill" four times. Tried my best to go up the hill quickly. Did some walking to catch my breath.

August 4th, Weight training Legs and Core
Warmed up 10 min on heavy incline treadmill, did leg curls, heavy leg press, calves, back extensions, decline bench sit-ups, elbow planks

I'm pretty beat up today, and the wrist hurts quite a bit so I'll try to take it easy for a few days. Might go for a casual hike this weekend. PT starts on Monday, so we'll see what the professional says. I've got a rice bucket waiting, and I've been eyeballing other grip-training type equipment to really recover from this.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Are you doing anything to cushion the wrist when running?

atomic

Post by atomic »

TBPenguin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:44 pm Are you doing anything to cushion the wrist when running?
Good question. First couple runs, I did not, but then I started wearing a brace and that helped out a lot. I just moved onto just using a lifting strap.