Bicycle crunches
KB presses
KB deadlift
KB rows

30sec rest in between each exercise
2min rest in between rounds

10min full body stretch
2x45s side planks on each side before bed

Was doing the circuit with a guy who is also applying to OCS. Dude's a beast and tended to complete the exercises as fast as possible while I tended to focus more on proper form and full ROM. I'm going to do a fun run with him tonight for my Ex50 session. Hopefully I don't get peer pressured into going as fast as possible, instead I want to continue with staying within my HR zone.

Shasta1026

Re: Shasta's Marine Corps OCS Training Log

Post by Shasta1026 »

10/18/22
Ex50
LSS run on indoor track.
2x45sec side planks
10x2 chinups throughtout the day
10min full body stretch

Buddy didn't end up coming so I stuck to my run/walk routine. I'm trying to get better at my form and a friend and a friend of mine who's an army veteran suggested that I kick my feet up more. It definitely helped, I felt like I was propelling myself forward more.

10/19/22
3x40 SE circuit w/ 16lb medicine ball with handles
Swings
Goblet Squats
Bicycle crunches
Chest presses
deadlift
rows

45sec rest in between each exercise
3min rest in between rounds

Went to a different place to workout and while they didn't have kettlebells they did have medicine balls with handles, so I used those and it worked quite well. I upped the rest intervals but only rested for 2mins before the last set.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

I was having some doubts today about if I am training in the best way possible. My OCS applicant buddy told me on monday that we only have 9 weeks till we take our PFT that will be evaluated by the board and that just put everything into perspective for me. I'm worried that I'm not training my hardest. So, guys please let me know if you would do anything differently if you were in my position I'm particularly worried if I am not working on my run well enough. Appreciate the help!

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

10/20/22
Ex40, 2.53mi
LSS run on indoor track.
10x2 chinups throughtout the day
10min full body stretch

Went a little light because I ran right after a pretty intensive practice. I'm going to start putting my milage to chart my progress.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Shasta1026 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 pm I was having some doubts today about if I am training in the best way possible. My OCS applicant buddy told me on monday that we only have 9 weeks till we take our PFT that will be evaluated by the board and that just put everything into perspective for me. I'm worried that I'm not training my hardest. So, guys please let me know if you would do anything differently if you were in my position I'm particularly worried if I am not working on my run well enough. Appreciate the help!
A couple general comments. On any physical attribute (speed, strength, endurance) you can only make fast gains if you are far off your current potential. Also you want to go into any test fresh, not run down. What these mean are that if you have a test in nine weeks, that last week should not be hard, and even the week prior to that shouldn't really be a test.

Can you tell us what the requirements for passing are, and where you estimate your abilities are right now?

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

TBPenguin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:51 pm
Shasta1026 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 pm I was having some doubts today about if I am training in the best way possible. My OCS applicant buddy told me on monday that we only have 9 weeks till we take our PFT that will be evaluated by the board and that just put everything into perspective for me. I'm worried that I'm not training my hardest. So, guys please let me know if you would do anything differently if you were in my position I'm particularly worried if I am not working on my run well enough. Appreciate the help!
A couple general comments. On any physical attribute (speed, strength, endurance) you can only make fast gains if you are far off your current potential. Also you want to go into any test fresh, not run down. What these mean are that if you have a test in nine weeks, that last week should not be hard, and even the week prior to that shouldn't really be a test.

Can you tell us what the requirements for passing are, and where you estimate your abilities are right now?
In order to qualify for a contract I need at least a 225 PFT score which would mean 3 pull-ups/chin-ups, 3:00min plank(Cannot find the current scoring on the internet, but it is now less due to the maximum time changing from 4:20 to 3:45), and 25:10 3mi time. If I max out the pullups/chin-ups(7) and plank(3:45) then my 3mi could be as low as 30:50 and I would still score a 240 PFT. In order to be competitive, it is recommended to have a 285+ PFT. I believe that if I were to score at least a 250 PFT then I would be competitive enough because I have some other factors in my OCS application that stand out. I have not run a PFT in almost 2 months (however, I have only started working out consistently for a few weeks), so I am going to run one soon when I have the time, maybe I'll do it with my buddy who is also applying to OCS so that I can push myself. But, I can confidently say that I can do 3 chin-ups and a 2:00 plank. Probably more if I push myself. I have no idea where my running is at right now.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Shasta1026 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:40 pm
TBPenguin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:51 pm A couple general comments. On any physical attribute (speed, strength, endurance) you can only make fast gains if you are far off your current potential. Also you want to go into any test fresh, not run down. What these mean are that if you have a test in nine weeks, that last week should not be hard, and even the week prior to that shouldn't really be a test.

In order to qualify for a contract I need at least a 225 PFT score which would mean 3 pull-ups/chin-ups, 3:00min plank(Cannot find the current scoring on the internet, but it is now less due to the maximum time changing from 4:20 to 3:45), and 25:10 3mi time. If I max out the pullups/chin-ups(7) and plank(3:45) then my 3mi could be as low as 30:50 and I would still score a 240 PFT. In order to be competitive, it is recommended to have a 285+ PFT. I believe that if I were to score at least a 250 PFT then I would be competitive enough because I have some other factors in my OCS application that stand out. I have not run a PFT in almost 2 months (however, I have only started working out consistently for a few weeks), so I am going to run one soon when I have the time, maybe I'll do it with my buddy who is also applying to OCS so that I can push myself. But, I can confidently say that I can do 3 chin-ups and a 2:00 plank. Probably more if I push myself. I have no idea where my running is at right now.
Chin-ups, plank, and run time. And if you need a 3:00 plank and only (know) you can do 2:00, that looks like the challenge for you. Maybe try doing a hard style plank once or twice a week - take the bicycle crunches out of the SE circuit on the days you do these. I would advise against testing yourself on running until you get the running problem fixed. If you get hurt testing yourself that could cause you to lose a week or two or more of running training. If you lose training time, lose it after the qualifying test/because of the test. Do you have a place nearby where you can do hill sprints? These force good form and it seems harder to get injured doing them, at least they are easier on my skeleton. Maybe replace one of your LSS sessions with the hill sprints each week. As for the chin-ups, you might be able to add a rep or two to your current ability if you use something like this https://officercandidatesschool.com/wp- ... Master.pdf but the SE rows aren't going to help you at all.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

10/21/22-10/23/22
rest/recovery

Family came for the weekend so I was too busy to get a workout in.

10/24/22
2x40 SE circuit w/ 8kg kettlebell throughout
KB Swings
Goblet Squats
Bicycle crunches
KB presses
KB deadlift
KB rows

30sec rest in between each exercise
2min rest in between rounds

10x2 chin-ups throughout the day
10min full body stretch

Goblet Squats are the Bain of my existence

10/25/22

My OSO is coming tomorrow to PT with me so I'm gonna keep it light by just going to rugby practice.

Edit: Practice was brutal and we were running our butts off the whole time, so I will count it as a Ex60 session.
Last edited by Shasta1026 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

As for the chin-ups, you might be able to add a rep or two to your current ability if you use something like this https://officercandidatesschool.com/wp- ... Master.pdf but the SE rows aren't going to help you at all.
I've been following this regiment to increase my chin-ups. I like the ideology behind it.

Maybe try doing a hard style plank once or twice a week - take the bicycle crunches out of the SE circuit on the days you do these.
I'll give these a try.

Do you have a place nearby where you can do hill sprints? These force good form and it seems harder to get injured doing them, at least they are easier on my skeleton. Maybe replace one of your LSS sessions with the hill sprints each week.
I was unclear on how strictly I should adhere to TB's BB template. I have been thinking a lot about whether to do them or wait until the MS portion of BB, but I will do them now and my campus is very hilly so it won't be a problem to incorporate these exercises.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Shasta1026 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 pm I was unclear on how strictly I should adhere to TB's BB template.
Right now you are not in a base building situation. If your test was a long ways off then of course you should adhere strictly, but BB might not have been the ideal choice this close to a test. But you don't want to change too much this close to the test. Hopefully these adjustments will get you a few more points.