Shasta's Marine Corps OCS Training Log

Shasta1026

Re: Shasta's Marine Corps OCS Training Log

Post by Shasta1026 »

TBPenguin wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:11 pm
Shasta1026 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:11 pm
TBPenguin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:08 pm

I suspect that at some point in the future you will need to do pushups, so I would have some kind of pressing in the cluster. Maybe pushups, or do overhead presses with the KB.
I will definitely have to do push ups in the future, so thanks for pointing that out. I'd only like 6 exercises in my cluster so what do you recommend I switch it out for?
I was suggesting that a press would be a more needed sub for the single arm floor presses. You've already got KB deadlifts and swings in there, so back extensions don't really cover anything new.
Gotcha. Will do!

B71

Post by B71 »

About shin splints: "Runner's World" has an article here.

I recommend doing the toe raises; you'll certainly feel your shins. I do three sets of 20, give or take a couple reps.

I second the recommendation on calf raises. I usually do 3 sets (toes in, out, & straight) of 20-30 reps.

If the strength and mobility stuff you're doing isn't enough, you might try different shoes. I grudgingly switched to Altra shoes a couple of months ago. I thought "zero-drop" was marketing hooey, but I was still getting knee pain even in my new super-cushy New Balance 1080s, so I gave the Altras a try. I'm a couple of months back into running and I think the pre-hab exercises and the different shoes have pretty much eliminated my post-run pain.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

B71 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:07 pm About shin splints: "Runner's World" has an article here.

I recommend doing the toe raises; you'll certainly feel your shins. I do three sets of 20, give or take a couple reps.

I second the recommendation on calf raises. I usually do 3 sets (toes in, out, & straight) of 20-30 reps.

If the strength and mobility stuff you're doing isn't enough, you might try different shoes. I grudgingly switched to Altra shoes a couple of months ago. I thought "zero-drop" was marketing hooey, but I was still getting knee pain even in my new super-cushy New Balance 1080s, so I gave the Altras a try. I'm a couple of months back into running and I think the pre-hab exercises and the different shoes have pretty much eliminated my post-run pain.
Thanks for the advice! I read the article and it is pretty informative. I'll be sure to do the toe raises too.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Welcome!

I am NOT an expert on anything related to running. But, I do have shin issues when I run. Something that helped me a lot was to get proper running shoes and socks. I went to a good, local running shoe store (the kind of place that only sells real running stuff and all the employees obviously run a lot) and described my problems and bought what they said to. Helped me a lot.

Edit: And, I just saw I basically repeated someone else's advice.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome mate!

Just giving my 2c. I did have a assessment and consultation at local running clinic years back when I started running on the regular basis. They hook you upon some computer and have you running in a treadmill for a while. I did help a lot. They gave me advise on the shoes, my running technique and some useful drills to fix my running issues and gait/strike imbalances.

You might want to try that.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

Thanks for the advice guys! I did go to a local running store earlier this year to get fitted for my running shoes so I think I'm good on that front. They only accessed how I walked and recommended me shoes based on that, so I think I'll ask my rugby coach or someone in my university's athletic department if they can check my running form. I suspect that's why I've been getting shin splints.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

10/11/22
3x30 SE circuit w/ 8kg kettlebell throughout
KB Swings
Goblet Squats
Bicycle crunches
Back Extensions(will switch these out for KB presses in the future)
KB deadlift
KB rows

30sec rest in between each exercise
2min rest in between rounds

10min full body stretch

Adding extra weight really did the trick and I was struggling with the back extensions so I had to take a few breaths during the exercise. Felt good overall.

10/12/22
Ex40 on stair stepper in the gym

Pretty much stayed on a low setting for the full 40 mins to stay within the heart rate zone. I also thought that this was a good exercise to strengthen my calves and I wanted something low impact because I had rugby practice right after. Felt really energized for practice.

10/13/22
Ex40 on stair stepper in the gym

Hammies were really sore that day and are still sore today(10/14), but still wanted to work my calves. Stretched and massaged them before bed.
Last edited by Shasta1026 on Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

10/14/22
Recovery
Was caught up with midterms so didn't do any workouts

10/15/22
Recovery
Game day, but only played for 10mins. Wanted to do SE after but the gym was closed.

10/16/22
Ex60
LSS run outside
3.56mi

Jogged/walked to stay within the HR zone. Should I try jogging slowly as much as possible while trying to stay in the HR zone or should I work on proper running form and lengthening my stride and then walking when my HR gets too high?

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Shasta1026 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:45 pm Jogged/walked to stay within the HR zone. Should I try jogging slowly as much as possible while trying to stay in the HR zone or should I work on proper running form and lengthening my stride and then walking when my HR gets too high?
Right now getting your form right so that you can productively and safely run seems like a higher priority than making the best short term progress (however that is done) on improving cardiac function.

Shasta1026

Post by Shasta1026 »

TBPenguin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:17 am
Shasta1026 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:45 pm Jogged/walked to stay within the HR zone. Should I try jogging slowly as much as possible while trying to stay in the HR zone or should I work on proper running form and lengthening my stride and then walking when my HR gets too high?
Right now getting your form right so that you can productively and safely run seems like a higher priority than making the best short term progress (however that is done) on improving cardiac function.
Got it. Thanks!