AColby Training Log

Acolby

AColby Training Log

Post by Acolby »

Let’s document my progress on using TB and TB principles.

Some users who inspired much of my current training are Barkadion, Mikhou, Maxrip13.

I’m following a mixture of OP I/A and Zulu, I think. OP I/A percentages, Zulu schedule, in an OMS approach. Very bastardized but life is weird and so is my body. I think labeling it as “weird OP I/A” instead of Zulu or Grey Man helps mentally because it lets me be flexible and drop everything but my main cluster if necessary.

My current cluster is zercher squats (ZS), OHP, ring pull-ups (RPU). RDL is in there to target some posterior chain and if my week gets messed up, I’ll prioritize ZS over RDL. My current goal is to focus on hypertrophy for the next 8 weeks, then likely switch my LSS for HIIT and drop the main cluster volume a little. Will revisit this idea later.

My week looks something like this:
Monday - RPU, ZS, OHP
Tuesday - RPU, RDL, back accessories
Wednesday - 30 min LSS
Thursday - RPU, ZS, OHP
Friday - single leg RDL, Cossack squats, DB OHP, ring rows, KB complexes. Basically whatever I’m feeling but no barbell allowed.
Saturday - hike, long walk with dogs. Some sort of real life LSS
Sunday - off

I throw in yoga here and there, but that’s dependent on my free time at night.

I do the following reps/sets:
5-10x5, 75%, week 1
5-10x5, 80%, week 2
5-10x3, 85%, week 3

I’m toying with the idea of forcing progression by adding reps instead of weight. I’ll try it this block and see how that feels. This is the biggest variable I’d like to figure out before my year gets busy. Then I can run OP I/A as a strength and hypertrophy program, just varying volume depending on my goals. Normal OP I/A, increase reps for 2 blocks, recalculate TMs, repeat. Should make for good 9-12 week cycle that I can somewhat brainlessly maintain.

VenomousCoffee

Re: AColby Training Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Welcome aboard!

Acolby

Post by Acolby »

Thank you, glad to be here.

Decided to increase the reps and use last block’s weights. The slight increase in reps is immediately noticeable and I expect will work well for my goals.

I did notice that zerchers are smoking my lower back at higher reps. To maintain my focus on squats, I’ll be switching from barbell RDLs to DB single-leg RDLs. If my scheme is ABAC, B is more bodybuilding posterior chain focused.

Acolby

Post by Acolby »

Using the previous block’s weights and increasing reps definitely worked for hypertrophy. I didn’t feel my CNS get taxed too much, I knew I could handle the weights with form, and my appetite skyrocketed.

I did that for 3 weeks, then another rep increase for 3 more weeks. I think Operator into mass for 3/3/3 week blocks was great.

However, I have a school coming up and ran Operator for 3 weeks so I can retest maxes before a Base Building block.

————

I’m trying to figure out how to focus more on calisthenics skills and sandbags moving forward without dropping the barbell work. I’m torn between Fighter Bangkok or a Zulu approach. Fighter seems most realistic given my schedule, whereas Zulu is ideal in a perfect world.

Luckily I’m never tweaking the current block, but ones that are at least a month out.

Acolby

Post by Acolby »

I think I’ll merge a principle from the Simple Jack’d (nSun’s) program.

Running a TB program with those percentages and weights, but trying to complete the total reps in the fewest sets.

For example, Fighter 3-5x5 @75%. Try to complete the 15-25 reps in the fewest sets. At a minimum if I’m tired, just hit the numbers as prescribed. If I’m fresh, set a rep PR. I’m curious how this might play out. I am trying to squeeze in more work before I need to get ready for the day. And I noticed I’m taking things a bit too easy physically. I’m always fresh, but fresh for nothing essentially. In the NG I only have set drill dates, so I might as well push myself a bit harder when I can.