PapaCharlie's Training Journal

PapaCharlie

PapaCharlie's Training Journal

Post by PapaCharlie »

Intro:

27/F, 5'7", 145lbs, attempting to max a PFT and earn a spot into the selection process for my dept's SWAT team.

The test is an NTOA standard; includes an 800m run slick/400m carry with weighted vest, 25lbs in each hand, and gas mask/burpees slick, squats in weighted vest and gas mask/pull-ups slick. I took the test today and while I technically didn't fail any portions, my total score was insufficient for the team standard.

BASELINE SCORES:

800m-3:41
400m-3:30
Burpees-45
Squats-68
Pullups-15 (debatable form on the final few)
FINAL SCORE: 24/30. 50 is expected for the team.

If I can't pass the PFT, I definitely don't have the physical mettle to pass through selection, which is five days of getting smoked physically, mentally, and emotionally. Think wannabe military selection. I'm now resolving today to A)get stronger, B)get more conditioned, and C)train my mindset for selection. Vague as hell, I'm aware. There are likely six months counting down from today until the next opportunity arises. I'm hoping this log will solidify some accountability and let me observe positive (or negative, God forbid) performance changes.

I'm thinking of running a strength first base building from TBII, but Capacity also looks promising. My base fitness level is decent but I'm far from a PT stud. Either way, I'll probably run a block of SOME sort of base building into Zulu H/T+Black, and once the next date is decided, shift to OP/Black or Fighter/Black and focus on maxing the test scores. I train BJJ 2-3 times a week, but that will take a backseat for the time being obviously, and while day to day patrol can involve some physicality, sometimes it's nearly a full shift spent in the car.

Obviously any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Resting up today and getting started on the process tomorrow.

VenomousCoffee

Re: PapaCharlie's Training Journal

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Welcome aboard!

PapaCharlie

Re: PapaCharlie's Training Journal

Post by PapaCharlie »

Thank you for the welcome!

I didn't intend for this to have a monthly check-in but here we are! potiusque sero quam nunquam.

Decided on Capacity as opposed to classic base building, and the first three weeks went well. Followed the strength first Zulu H/T protocol with a semi-productive "deload". Starting weights were pathetic (FSQ/OHP+Bench/DL), but I felt comfortable adding to the one rep max by the conclusion of week 3. I didn't do much HIC as seems to be prescribed, limiting conditioning to BJJ, both competition class and open mat. A few Fobbits were interspersed here and there but nothing consistent. I will say it felt nice to throw myself wholeheartedly at the weights for a couple of weeks after about two months of nothing but bare bones MS and SE. Accessories A included single leg extensions/abductors/lat raises, while B included BB rows/hamstring curls/adductors.

Operating now (pun intended) with the cluster of Bench/BSQ/PU+DL once a week. Maximums are still woefully low but we're seeing some progress in control of the weights for sure.
Bench: 135 (shaky)
BSQ: 150 (estimated off of 140 front squat max, any squatting is easily my weakest compound, and an inherent goal is to beef up these legs)
WPU: +25 for one (I'm holding onto the Fighter Pull Up Program for now)
DL: 265 (cleared 270 but with awful rounding)

The plan is to sprinkle in core and grip finishers after every Operator session, with alternating intensity. First two sessions have been roughly 45 mins to 1.5 hours depending on the inclusion of those finishers and a decent warm-up, which is manageable. The schedule (should!) proceed as written in the book: OP/LSS/OP/LSS/OP/LSS/Rest, for six more weeks before the Capacity "test", which will almost line up with a 10k I'm due to run at the end of May.

Currently towards the end of the first week (5th overall) and would like to update with weekly posts (perhaps one day, even daily) for more accountability. Do or do not, there is no try, etc, etc.