Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Barkadion

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Todays training

Sadly the weightvest fun run was cancelled due to weather. This may have been a good thing as my body has gotten a bit run down due to work pt.

At work did a few 400 m laps in full kit (boots, iba etc) and then skills drills.

Following this was a PT session ran through work.
800m warmup run (100m sprint to finish off)

Squats with bar
Dumbell benchpress on balance ball
Pullups
Seated rows
Overhead Squat lunges
Core work

I basically used this as a lighter recovery workout.

I then had pre preemptive physio for a tendon issue with my left knee.
This consisted of leg straight and leg bent isometric brides off a block for 1 min eac side.
Then 30 secs with a 10 kg plate on my lap.
I also was required to do 10 rounds of 20 sec eccentric 5 sec isometric one legged deadlifts with a 10 kg weight.

I will be mixing these exercises in 3 x a week as a warm up or finisher to certain training days.
How do you like DB pressing on the stability ball? I used to do DB Russian twists on the ball and found myself roaring all the time :D
I don't really struggle with the core strength for the presses so for me it's a bit of a waste.
I could definitely see Russian twists being a lot harder on the ball though. I am not really a fan of all that balance type work.
I generally find that being strong makes me perform well on all that sort of stuff.

They kept going on about my perfect form for the overhead walking lunges we did. My only overhead work is a finisher involving one arm kettle bell overhead carries and heavy farmers walks. I use this as a finisher for my operator sessions if I am feeling good.

One of the guys who is your typical body builder sort of bloke got a bit carried away.
He is already quite a heavy boy, but decided to jump on there with 40 Kg dumbbells (approx 88 + pounds I believe) and nearly went through the ball.
This guy had the mobility to move the dumbbells for barely a 6 inch ROM. The pt instructor went ballistic and nearly caused him to drop both dumbbells.
Overhead carries are the best shoulder and core stability drill. I've used it as an introduction to KB world at some point. It's a great finisher to rehab your shoulders.

As for that guy you described... I've seen so many BB guys being nearly killed by stupidity and poor mobility when they tried to jump into KB moves...
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
How do you like DB pressing on the stability ball? I used to do DB Russian twists on the ball and found myself roaring all the time :D
I don't really struggle with the core strength for the presses so for me it's a bit of a waste.
I could definitely see Russian twists being a lot harder on the ball though. I am not really a fan of all that balance type work.
I generally find that being strong makes me perform well on all that sort of stuff.

They kept going on about my perfect form for the overhead walking lunges we did. My only overhead work is a finisher involving one arm kettle bell overhead carries and heavy farmers walks. I use this as a finisher for my operator sessions if I am feeling good.

One of the guys who is your typical body builder sort of bloke got a bit carried away.
He is already quite a heavy boy, but decided to jump on there with 40 Kg dumbbells (approx 88 + pounds I believe) and nearly went through the ball.
This guy had the mobility to move the dumbbells for barely a 6 inch ROM. The pt instructor went ballistic and nearly caused him to drop both dumbbells.

Overhead carries are the best shoulder and core stability drill. I've used it as an introduction to KB world at some point. It's a great finisher to rehab your shoulders.

As for that guy you described... I've seen so many BB guys being nearly killed by stupidity and poor mobility when they tried to jump into KB moves...
Yeah I love some good overhead carries. If you throw in an uneven surface or walking up/down a hill it's even better.
Not many people actually train them and are aware how fare you can carry an awkward object overhead.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Today's training

Operator 90% Week

Warmup involving higher reps and lighter weights of the exercises in the cluster below.
Some quick rolling, stretching and mobility stuff.

Back Squat x 3 90 kg
Instep Stretch

Benchpress x 3 80 kg
Lat/Pec Stretch

Weighted pullup x 3 10 kg
Snatch squat PVC pipe drill

x 3 rounds

One arm Kettlebell swing 16kg
10 reps alternating Left to Right each side
Continuous. Time: 2:54

These weights are feeling extremely easy, but that was the plan with this 6 week block.
I may have been a bit overly conservative with the squat and pullups. I will just enjoy it and work on some little technique tweaks throughout.
The swings at the end felt way too easy, but that may be due to my technique coming back after not doing these in so long. I will bump up to 24 kg following the 90% week.

The plan was to step up my conditioning. This has happened training session wise, but work hasn't allowed me to work on the attributes I would like to. I am going to work on getting out to do a few of 1-10 HIC sessions from TB 2. I think that will build the aerobic/ anaerobic conditioning well enough for what I am after. I am really enjoying things so far though. I feel I am really getting that minimum effective dose for long term improvement.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I may have been a bit overly conservative with the squat and pullups. I will just enjoy it and work on some little technique tweaks throughout.
Very smart way to stay out of injuries and prepare yourself for slow and steady progress!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Boxing in IBA's at work

It was definitely interesting to feel the different balance when throwing punches. I found a more conservative approach and pulling power was best.
I notice that I could hit a lot of jabs and straight rights, while everyone else was worried about throwing power and getting off balance.

I am not doing any other training today due to work commitments and the fact it is my 90% week.
I will take it easy and be back into hard conditioning next week if work allows.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Took yesterday off due to work commitments.

Today's Training

Operator 90% week

Back Squat x 3 90 Kg
Instep Stretch

Benchpress x 3 80 Kg
Lat/Pec Stretch

Weighted Pullup x3 10 Kg
Snatch overhead squat stretch

x 3 Rounds

Bare minimum today due to work and life commitments. If I am honest everything except the pullups were a a lot harder than they should have been.
Work commitments and the fact my partner is sick made me err on the side of caution. I am starting to feel something coming on and wanted to avoid my training being the thing that causes my immune system to not cope. Definitely keen to get back to some hard conditioning next week in the 75% week.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training
Warmup foam roller and lighter sets of exercises below
Operator 90%

Back Squat 90 kg x3
Instep Stretch

Benchpress 80 kg x
Lat and Pec stretch

Weighted Pullup 10 kg x 3
Shoulder dislocate and snatch squat PVC x 5

x 3 rounds

This felt really good and I stuck to the minimums. Much easier than Wednesdays training.
Really looking forward to doing some runs and similar next week now that I am out of the easy conditioning week.
Took the day off work to look after my sick partner and it was nice to train when I felt like it instead of when I had time.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays training

Usual Operator 75%

Back squat 75 kg x5
Instep Stretch

Benchpress 65kg x5
Lat/Pec Stretch

Weighted Pullup 5kg x5
Snatch squat pvc x5

X 3 rounds (2 mins rest between exercises)

I seem to have caught the flu off my partner and today was a bit of a struggle. I was able to complete everything but was breathing a bit heavy after.
It has worked out well I was so conservative with my maxes, since I seem to be getting sick alot lately.

Hopefully better tomorrow because I want to start pushing the conditioning a bit more. I have a pool session through work which may steal my HIC spot for tomorrow regardless. If this happens I may go for a short 3-5 km jog instead depending on how the head feels.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Work run Pool Session

Multiple laps of the basic strokes focusing on technique, both with and without fins.

Finished off with a 300m continuous swim with the following stroke breakdown
Freestyle 50m
Breaststroke 50m
Backstroke 50m
Side Stroke Right 50m
Side Stroke Left 50m
Survival Backstroke 50m

Struggled a bit due to the cold but was able to complete all laps and the continuous swim pretty easily. I am still sick so no run or specific HIC today.
The swim would cover it in most ways I just want to get that time running in to build up some meiles.
I will try and get a quick round of swings in after tomorrows MS training.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Backsquat 75kg x5
Instep stretch

Benchpress 65kg x5
Lat/Pec Stretch

Weighted Pullup 5 kg x5
Snatch Overhead Squat

Bare minimum today still sick and lots of work issues.