Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Maxrip13

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays training

Midday

S&S warmup (Goblet squats x5, hip bridge x5 , haloes x5 )

Kettlebell two hand swings 6x10
24,24,32,24,32,24 kg

Turkish Getups 24kg 5x2

Fighter pullups (10 rep Training Max)

30 min spin bike
Maintaining 90-100 RPM and rode approx 14 km total.

Afternoon
Illinois agility test x4 in IBA equivalent and pt gear.
Maintained low 16s across four rounds.
Team game choouk ball

Well its extremely hot here so I decided to do my conditioning inside. I had a spare hour at work so I did S&S + Pullups followed by a 30 min bike ride. I prefer to split the session , but it was convenient for today. Then I had a work pt session involving the illoinois agility test in our IBA equivalent. It was hard but plenty of time to recover between rounds. Finished this off with a cruisy team game.

I am really enjoying the S&S paired with the pullups. It's nice to get my training in quickly, but still have a challenge by meeting those pullup numbers. This may become my go to base building every 6-12 months.

We then did

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays training

Midday
S&S Warmup (Pry gob squats,bridges, haloes 16kg)

Kettlebell swings 24 kg (2H= 2 hand, 10l,10r =10 One hand of that hand)
10 2H,10 2H,10l,10r, 10 2H,10l,10r,10 2H, 10l,10r =100 Total

Turkish Getups 24kg
5x2

Fighter Pullups (10 Rep TMax)

PM
30 min LSD run Distance- 5.89km
5:06 min/km Pace

I decided to sleep in a bit today as I was feeling a bit run down. This led to me deciding not to do my run in the AM. I am very glad I did because it led me to discover some things. I had one of my best days of training today and I felt excellent.

I did my usual lunch time workout, but due to that extra 30-45 min of sleep it felt effortless. I decided to push things a bit and was able to easily hit the 100 swings with a 24 kg kettlebell. I found that my 1 handed swings felt excellent.I had to force myself to slow down and only throw in a couple sets. I could probably complete the 10x10 swings with a 24 kg kettlebell any day of the week and wouyld probably be good to do the same one handed also. I am also very close to doing a couple getups with the 32 kg kettlebell to start progressing there.

The pullups also felt reasonably easy, but I need to work on slowing them down a bit as I believe I may be starting a mini kip on the last couple sets.

I normally just eat a couple rolls for convenience, but today had a hot meal. I felt like I had a heap more energy for the afternoon run. I always forgot the importance of good food for training and I really need to square away my nutrition.

I was originally going to skip the run as I pulled up pretty sore after yesterdays ride. I ended up with tight calves?achilles, but everything else went great and I really enjoyed this day of training.

I have to say I am really enjoying the daily LSD work. I would like to run every session, but sometimes a ride or swim is just more convenient.
I will aim to get in atleast one more run out of my remaining two sessions as I feel better benefits from.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Midday

S&S Warmup(Prying Goblet Squats,Bridges, Haloes)

24 Kg Kettlebell Swings
10l,10r,10l,10r,10l,10r,10l,10r,10l,10r =100 Total Reps time-4:40 min

24 kg Turkish Getups Time= 5:11 min
5x2

Fighter Pullups

I was feeling good so I pushed the 1 armed swings and I hit the 24 kg progression goal pretty comfortably. I will now look to add in some 32 kg kettle bell swings in the future. I reckon I may be able to hit the simple goal before I finish this base building cycle.
I will also have to do a set or two with the 32kg for my getups. I still have some technique work to do on my getups, but provided my technique is manageable I will sub in a round or two with the higher weight.

The fighter pullups were great for the first couple of sets, but my lats really start to feel fatigued and my last rep of my final two sets was borderline. I believe this may have been from my earlier swings. I will do 2 handed ones tomorrow and see how my pullups feel.

I have decided to skip the run as I am feeling a few little niggles. I also pushed a bit harder in my S&S workout and will be cautious and take some extra recovery. I am really liking the results of this base building so far.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Midday

S&S Warmup

32kg Kettlebells Swings 2 hand 5x10

Turkish getup
24,24,32,24,24 kg

Fighter Pullup (10 Rep Tr Max)

LSS Triples
Row x 10 min
Cycle x10 min
Run x10 min (on treadmill)

I have graduated to the 32 kg kettlebell swings with 2 hands as of today. It felt great and I will build up to 10x10 before adding in the 1 handed version. I also threw a single round of 32 kg getup in today. I actually felt it was my best set and that with the extra weight my technique felt very solid. I believe I will reach the 32 kg getup goal quite easily in comparison to the swings.

Pullups went reasonably well and I am now doing around 10 reps in a continuous set easily. Before I would get to 5 and then just do singles hanging from the bar with recovery time in between. They feel so easy now I need to slow myself down. I definitely think I will hit 15+ when I finally test.

I did my LSS straight after the S&S training. I chose to do triples indoors as I was at work and didn't feel like running around a 450m track for half an hr. I did a bit over 2000m in the row which was surprising. Not a record breaking time or anything, but I was only maintaining about 30 strokes per min. 10 min on a spin bike was a better idea than the 30 min I did earlier in the week. I have discovered I hate running on treadmills also. I don't think I will be using one in the future by choice. I had to set it up around level 13 to hit my usual 5 min perk km pace.

Two days of recovery to look forward to then back into things on Sunday.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training (Base Building week 3)

S&S Warmup 16 kg Kettlebell
Prying Goblet squats
Bridges
Haloes

32 kg 2 Hand Swings 5x10
Turkish getups x2(L,R)
24,32,32,24,24 kg

30 min LSD Run 5.8km ,Average 5:12 per min/km

Back into it for the 1st session of my 3rd week of base building. I am starting to feel great. I absolutely love the brief effectiveness of the S&S warm up and I think I will continue with it in my next lot of Op I/A.All I will add is unweighted pullups.

The 32 kg 2 hand swings felt easy and extremely explosive and I would of easily been able to complete 10x10 if I wanted to push hard. I will take the week to adapt to the extra load and work on technique.

The getups are a strange one. I feel my technique is so much better with the 32 kg. I actually find them easier and I am not far off dropping the 24 kg and only sticking to the 32kg for all sets. I need to remember I have 2 miins to complete all getups to reach the simple goal in S&S. I generally have mine done in under 5 min which means I need to slow the getup down.

The pull ups were a bit of a surprise. I hit that first set of 12 with barely any effort and they were some good quality reps. I originally plugged my max in as 10 reps, but I am usually good to hit 15 by hanging and resting from around 8. This program is pretty aggressive and I am struggling to hit the last 2-3 sets by the end of the week, but I am surprised with the effectiveness. I reckon I may hit the goal of 18-20 reps by the end of the 5 weeks. At the worst I am able to complete more continuous reps than I have before with good technique and the pullup endurance is improving across multiple rounds.

I did the run straight after my other training as it's a day off work for me. I really enjoy running after the other stuff. It makes me actually slow down and run the sort of pace I am meant to.

I have really enjoyed this base building so far. I think this may be my new go to and I may even rotate a base build in more often as I have seen excellent strength gains from the pullups also.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Todays Training (Base Building week 3)

S&S Warmup 16 kg Kettlebell
Prying Goblet squats
Bridges
Haloes

32 kg 2 Hand Swings 5x10
Turkish getups x2(L,R)
24,32,32,24,24 kg

30 min LSD Run 5.8km ,Average 5:12 per min/km

Back into it for the 1st session of my 3rd week of base building. I am starting to feel great. I absolutely love the brief effectiveness of the S&S warm up and I think I will continue with it in my next lot of Op I/A.All I will add is unweighted pullups.

The 32 kg 2 hand swings felt easy and extremely explosive and I would of easily been able to complete 10x10 if I wanted to push hard. I will take the week to adapt to the extra load and work on technique.

The getups are a strange one. I feel my technique is so much better with the 32 kg. I actually find them easier and I am not far off dropping the 24 kg and only sticking to the 32kg for all sets. I need to remember I have 2 miins to complete all getups to reach the simple goal in S&S. I generally have mine done in under 5 min which means I need to slow the getup down.

The pull ups were a bit of a surprise. I hit that first set of 12 with barely any effort and they were some good quality reps. I originally plugged my max in as 10 reps, but I am usually good to hit 15 by hanging and resting from around 8. This program is pretty aggressive and I am struggling to hit the last 2-3 sets by the end of the week, but I am surprised with the effectiveness. I reckon I may hit the goal of 18-20 reps by the end of the 5 weeks. At the worst I am able to complete more continuous reps than I have before with good technique and the pullup endurance is improving across multiple rounds.

I did the run straight after my other training as it's a day off work for me. I really enjoy running after the other stuff. It makes me actually slow down and run the sort of pace I am meant to.

I have really enjoyed this base building so far. I think this may be my new go to and I may even rotate a base build in more often as I have seen excellent strength gains from the pullups also.
Max, I got a bit confused with your log. How many double training days you are doing, 5 days, correct?
Thanks and sorry for misunderstanding.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:

Max, I got a bit confused with your log. How many double training days you are doing, 5 days, correct?

It's probably because I am very fluid and swap between double training days and just doing a longer session. I also write this log post training and can be a bit lazy.

I train 5 days a week and take 2 off. On those 5 days I will get my S&S session +Fighter Pullups in one session and the other will involve a 30 min LSD run or similar. Sometimes these 2 sessions will be one after another and sometimes I will split them. I am able to do PT session at lunch and my S&S +Pullups fits into this time very well. Sometimes I get an extra 1 hr period free and throw in my LSD work.

If not I then run before or after work depending on time and my schedule. I also have work PT sessions to contend with and will swap them in if they are applicable or to intense to train again.

Basically long story short, I aim to get 5 S&S + Pullup Sessions and 5 LSD Type sessions throughout a 7 day period.I try to make 3 of these LSD sessions running as this is what I am trying to improve. Hopefully that clears things up.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

It's probably because I am very fluid and swap between double training days and just doing a longer session. I also write this log post training and can be a bit lazy.

I train 5 days a week and take 2 off. On those 5 days I will get my S&S session +Fighter Pullups in one session and the other will involve a 30 min LSD run or similar. Sometimes these 2 sessions will be one after another and sometimes I will split them. I am able to do PT session at lunch and my S&S +Pullups fits into this time very well. Sometimes I get an extra 1 hr period free and throw in my LSD work.

If not I then run before or after work depending on time and my schedule. I also have work PT sessions to contend with and will swap them in if they are applicable or to intense to train again.

Basically long story short, I aim to get 5 S&S + Pullup Sessions and 5 LSD Type sessions throughout a 7 day period.I try to make 3 of these LSD sessions running as this is what I am trying to improve. Hopefully that clears things up.
Awesome! Appreciate you taking time to explain. I'm considering the similar blueprint for my next BB. So I'm interested in your experience. And I'm assuming you are keeping LSS for 30mn due to being strength oriented..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Midday

S&S Warmup
Prying Goblet Squats, Bridges,haloes

32 kg 2 Hand Swings 5x10

Turkish Getups 24 Kg 5x2

Fighter Pullups
12,11,10,9,9 (Last 2 rounds started to get ugly)

PM

30 Min LSD Run in Minimal shoes

I was feeling a bit of pain in my shoulder due to some firearm drills this morning so I took it easy on the swings and get ups. I was struggling in the pullups, but the first few rounds had good technique. It was the last 2 were my form broke down a bit.

Nice easy LSD run to finish the day. I did it in new balance minimus shoes and it felt pretty good. Hopefully that means I have strengthened my feet up to occasional go out for a longer distance in those style shoes. I am working on running form and I feel I have to run better with less of padded shoe.

I was feeling a bit tired but was able to hit the bare minimums on everything quite easily.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Awesome! Appreciate you taking time to explain. I'm considering the similar blueprint for my next BB. So I'm interested in your experience. And I'm assuming you are keeping LSS for 30mn due to being strength oriented..
I am loving the S&S + Pullup programming for my base building. I am not really a big fan of bodyweight conditioning circuits after my time in the military. I just find them a bit boring. I already have a decent base and I need to up the reps or add weight anyway. I would rather just use other movements that have a carry over to things like pushups and situps.

I am definitely getting heaps from the fighter pullup program. I originally hated the progression, but it has really worked on my biggest weakness of higher rep pullup reps for multiple sets. I definitely recommend it in addition to S&S if high rep pullups are a goal.

The reason the runs are only 30 mins is due to the route I am taking. To save on time I am running from my front door around my suburb and I find it pretty boring. I am basically running on foot paths through suburban streets and I would rather run trails. I am back on shift work as of next week and I will have some more time to push out the run and commute to better trails. I will probably push to 45 mins next week and finish off the last week with 2-3, 60min+ runs.

I usually set my training around bare minimums for the week. My goal in regards to running is to hit at least 3x 30 min LSD sessions a week. If I can push out to 60 min for a session or 2 I consider that a good training day. If I only hit 30 mins at least I have hit my goal for this base building. I find running 30 min 5 days a week is better than 2-3 60 min sessions a week. I am really enjoying the near daily running right now.