43 Week Tactical Barbell Plan

tomcatflyer

Re: 43 Week Tactical Barbell Plan

Post by tomcatflyer »

Quick update. Circuit classes have been on point, but I missed two runs last week. My explanation is that family was in town, but it's no excuse. Anyways, gotta get three runs in this week and I'll be on track.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Just wanted to post a quick update. I've been hitting my circuit class consistently and I can tell that my conditioning is getting better. I'm looking forward to getting back into to max strength training though. I have to admit that my running has simply not been happening. Having snow on the ground makes it too easy to make excuses.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

It's been a while since I've updated this log - primarily because I haven't had anything too interesting to say. I've been following the plan more or less and recently started max strength training again.

I have tinkered with the plan a bit. What follows is a collection of thoughts that may or may not be of interest to you. More than anything, this post is to clarify the thoughts in my own mind:

-[strike] Stronglifts will be 3X5, but may be 5X5 if I feel I need some extra volume in certain lifts. [/strike] Reflected and realized this was stupid. Will do 5x5 until I'm forced to do 3x5.

Starting weight*:

Squat:135lbs
Deadlift: 155lbs
Bench: 105lbs
Row: 105lbs
Press: 85lbs

*Note: These are very conservative, but it's been a while since I've trained with a barbell so I want to max out my linear progression.

-All HICs will be running based, with a kettlebell occasionally thrown in the mix. I've been trying to complicate this when I really should keep my Commander's Challenge goal in mind.

-Final two weeks of December: Three Stronglifts (to get that up and running), two 60 minute endurance sessions, two HIC sessions.

-January will be a tough month. My only goal is to keep getting stronger with Stronglifts and get those two classes per week in. The classes will improve my conditioning and help burn some of that extra Christmas fat.

-January to April conditioning sessions (E and HIC) are all about aerobic base building.

-May is when I start really getting specific with my race training. The only thing I'm set on is doing fighter. I can tinker with the conditioning based on TB II and race programs I research. I should resist the urge to think about it right now - my January-April aerobic base building is all I need to worry about, and it's exactly what I SHOULD worry about right now.

-Finally, I'm looking forward to doubling down on clean eating come Dec. 26. I always forget how crappy I feel when I eat things other than meat, vegetables, olive oil, nuts, and fruit. Unfortunately my body is a sissy when it comes to potatoes, rice, baked goods, vegetable oil, dairy, etc.
Last edited by tomcatflyer on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Just wrapped up a 60 minute endurance session. Was reminded of how good you feel after a nice, long steady-state cardio session.

I've also recently reflected on the importance of internalizing goals. You may recall from my first post in this thread that I said I want to become better at making my goal the inputs, not the outputs. I've noticed I'm getting better at this. I may not have gone as far as I would have liked in today's 60 minute session, but I did it, and that is enough of a win to be motivated to workout again tomorrow.

Only two HIC sessions left in 2016. I may throw in another E session since I've got the time.

I don't update here after every workout, but I do check off each session on my Google spreadsheet which you can view here if you're interested in following along.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Nice one, matey.

What I find easier to do is to have a goal for the session and then stick to that goal..... ie, 45 min working at an aerobic level means that I do not look at distance at all.... doesn't become a factor in my thinking.

Working to a HR has been a fairly recent change for me..... within the last 18 months, I've started this..... and it's made the world of difference to me.

Keep on with the journey buddy.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Thanks THLE!

Week one of my strength focused block ended today. Ended up working out Monday-Friday and am feeling good. Its great to be back in the weightroom.

Resisting the urge to tinker with the next block, although I will say that I'm consider a BB blocking starting in June. Could time it to coincide with a shift to 3x5.

Edit: Enjoyed a nice swim on Friday evening and a long hike in the snow on Saturday.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Week two of the strength block is in the bag. Hit my three strength sessions and two classes Monday - Friday. Realistically this may not be sustainable next week or the week after as my weights go higher - last night I was feeling pretty worn out, but today I felt great and even tacked on an unscheduled 40 minute run since I had the time (followed it up with a nice, long foam rolling and sauna session. It's a tough life). Maybe I'll pay for it tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be up for a nice recovery hike. Nothing feels better than getting some sun while out in the cold at this time of year.

The last two weeks of January will look the same as the first two: three strength sessions (Stronglifts) and two HIC classes each week. Class membership ends on Jan 30, so after that it'll be a twelve week block of strength three times per week plus conditioning (with an emphasis on E).

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Just finished up week three of my strength focus. Got my three strength sessions in, as well as my two conditioning sessions. Like last week, I even added an extra 30 minute run with sauna and stretching.

Fairly happy with my weight, although I could still afford to drop 15-25lbs. All the exercise has led to an ample appetite, and while my diet has been almost 100% clean, the scale isn't moving the direction that it should. I'm doing a 24hr fast tomorrow, which I sometimes do because I enjoy the challenge, and will then really focus on reducing the calories for the next couple weeks to see if I can't shed a few of those pounds.

But for now, I'm going to all you can eat ribs. :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah. All my lifts have been going well except for today's row. It felt heavy. I don't know why since normally I find the press and bench press slow down before the row. Anyways, I'm just going to repeat the same weight next week and hope for the best.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

I was travelling last week, and although I had a plan to get in all my workouts, I ended up getting hit with strep throat. Haven't been to the gym since last Wednesday as a result. I'm feeling significantly better so am going to do max strength this afternoon and hopefully get my E and HIC session in between today and Saturday. Anyways, it was an unplanned interruption but not a big deal in the bigger picture. The key is to not let it ruin my momentum!

Also, I signed up for this kind of cool series of races hosted by a local sporting good store. 90 bucks and you get to run six races between now and October. Two 5Ks, two 10Ks, a 9K, and an 11K. First 5K is next weekend! I think this is a great way to keep myself in running shape given the whole point of my plan is to run the Commander's Challenge in September!

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

It's been a while since my last update. Unfortunately a combination of strep throat and travel have resulted in me missing three strength sessions and two HICs in February. The good news is twofold: 1) Although missing things obviously slows progress, progress has stayed on track; and 2) I intentionally worked some extra weeks into the schedule so I could make up for missed sessions. Theoretically I could get all those sessions in next week and not have missed a single workout in February.