Mindboozer’s OfficeFit

Mindboozer

Mindboozer’s OfficeFit

Post by Mindboozer »

Mindboozer’s OfficeFit

Hey guys! This is going to be my log for my journey through TB. As the title implies I work in an office (representin’ that sedentary lifestyle) and I am gonna use TB as a basis to keep myself fit and healthy. The problem I’ve had with fitness has always been a lack of consistency; so hopefully between this log and the structured nature of TB I’ll overcome that.

Background
27 years old. I work and live in the Great White North (Canada). Been lifting on and off for 10 years (probably off more than on if I’m being totally honest) and due to a lack of consistency my lifts are still below what I consider respectable. I’ve done some martial arts training over the past few years which I enjoyed a lot, but between moving around for school and work it’s been hard to commit to training for extended periods of time. I have also always hated running since I’ve never been good at it, so I’ve pretty much avoided it at all costs. My fitness levels are definitely not where I want them to be!

Goals
My goals are simple.

(1) Become a competent runner. Eventually I’d like to hit a sub 22min 5k and have a respectable 10k time. Definitely a ways out though. Short term goal is to actually run a 10k!

(2) Build a solid fitness base for my martial arts. Shouldn’t be too difficult to do this with Operator + Black.

(3) Get strong. Haven’t thought too much about actual weights I want to hit, but something like: BP: 250 SQ: 300 DL: 300+ seems like a good initial goal.

Current Stats

27 yr old; 6’ 2”; ~197lb

1rpm (calculated from 5rpm):
Squat: 220
Bench Press: 200
WPU: 5 x BW
Dead Lift: 270

Resting Heart Rate: 76 bpm
Running: didn’t really test this, but I ran a 4k with a pace of 6:30 (min/km). Plenty of room to improve.

Plan
(1) Base Building (already into the second week of this; will post log in next post)
- Strength first w/ Fighter - SQ, BP, WPU, DL cluster
- For E I will doing LSS runs since one of my goals is running. During the week this will be on a treadmill thanks to limited daylight hours. Hopefully on the weekend I’ll be able to get outside and do a long run (possibly even fun ones).
- Debating about the SE portion of BB. May just replace it with another half block of Fighter.
- For HICs I’ll be sticking to indoor sessions mostly. Indoor Power Intervals and possibly the Fobbit one.

(2) For continuation I’ll likely run Operator + Black with E sessions on Saturdays

Mindboozer

Re: Mindboozer’s OfficeFit

Post by Mindboozer »

Base Building Week 1:

Mon 11/14/16
Squat = 155x3x5
BP = 145x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4,3
DL = 190x1x5

Tues 11/15/16
LSS treadmill run = 32 min
- Feels like I am running pretty slow; but definitely at a conversational pace.

Wed 11/16/16
LSS treadmill run = 30 min

Thurs 11/17/16
Recovery day. G/f showed up to make dinner so I moved up my recovery day. Don't feel like I really need the extra recovery day. May sub in a kettlbell workout next week. Something like S&S should do the trick.

Fri 11/18/16
Squat = 155x3x5
BP = 145x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4
DL = 190x1x5

- Feel as though I may want to add some shoulder health accessories; probably do more sets of pullups as well.

Sat 11/19/16
LSS outdoor run = 40 min 6.1km
- Fairly difficult run. There was a lot of wind and my route has a fair number of hills; heart rate was probably a little high as a result. Feels good to get er done though.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Good to see..... welcome fellow Great White Northerner :D

I'm in SE BC area. I look forward to seeing a continuation of the journey.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Mindboozer wrote:Mindboozer’s OfficeFit
Welcome Mindboozer. It's good to have you on aboard.

The problem I’ve had with fitness has always been a lack of consistency; so hopefully between this log and the structured nature of TB I’ll overcome that.

This is the problem for 90% of people who struggle with fitness regimes. Remember the "Jerry Seinfeld" story from TB, and the "Just Show Up and Put in the The Work" principle." In my experience, what sets people off the path is that they think every workout has to be a gut-busting, super intense, personal record. You aren't up for that some (really most!) days, so it is easy to decided it's better not to attempt. The fact is, however, that the decisive factor is consistency over time, not intensity in any given session. Just commit to showing up and doing the minimums. When you don't "feel the love" for your workout, make a deal with yourself simply to show up and do the minimums or even just half the minimums. Usually it will go better than that, but as long as you get some work in, you are making progress. The intensity will happen, but the key is the building the habit. Don't put pressure on yourself to be superman, and you will find it easier to get the work in. Over time, the habit will gain momentum and showing up for your workouts will become like brushing your teeth in the morning. When you get to that point, all the work will add up over time, and you will see really amazing results. Discipline trumps motivation.

(1) Become a competent runner. Eventually I’d like to hit a sub 22min 5k and have a respectable 10k time. Definitely a ways out though. Short term goal is to actually run a 10k!

I love this as a goal, and for a recreational athlete I think it should be the first step.

(2) Build a solid fitness base for my martial arts. Shouldn’t be too difficult to do this with Operator + Black.

What martial art do you practice?

(3) Get strong. Haven’t thought too much about actual weights I want to hit, but something like: BP: 250 SQ: 300 DL: 300+ seems like a good initial goal.

This a about where I would set your initial strength goals, and for your size and current strength levels these are plausible.

Plan
(1) Base Building (already into the second week of this; will post log in next post)
- Strength first w/ Fighter - SQ, BP, WPU, DL cluster

During Block 1 (base building), I would stick with more minimal cluster -- just 2-3 lifts. You want fresh legs for your running. Remember, even if you are a doing Strength First, at this point running competency is your priority goal. You priorities will flip when you move to Black+OP for continuation.

- For E I will doing LSS runs since one of my goals is running. During the week this will be on a treadmill thanks to limited daylight hours. Hopefully on the weekend I’ll be able to get outside and do a long run (possibly even fun ones).

If you can get the fun run in, do it!

- Debating about the SE portion of BB. May just replace it with another half block of Fighter.

If you are more worried about strength, then go with "Strength First", but I recommend keeping the SE for the final three weeks. The SE circuits carry a lot of benefits in themselves (conditioning, strengthening ligaments, joints, etc.), and those three weeks of lighter work will give you a good reset before transitioning to Black+Operator. Three weeks of SE won't ruin your maxes.

- For HICs I’ll be sticking to indoor sessions mostly. Indoor Power Intervals and possibly the Fobbit one.

Good choice. I'm having good luck with both of these myself right now. If you want to push that 5K time, you might think about 600m resets, Fast 5 (obviously), and Speed Endurance Ladders too. I suspect, however, that the Canadian winter will have it's say about how much time you can spend at the track!

(2) For continuation I’ll likely run Operator + Black with E sessions on Saturdays
Do you plan on an E session every Saturday (Black Pro) or every other Saturday (standard Black)? The former makes sense, if you want to keep your running high on your priority list.

Please don't think I'm trying to pick apart everything you are planning. You are on the right path! Take or leave all of this, and let me know whether I can ever be any help.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Good to see..... welcome fellow Great White Northerner :D

I'm in SE BC area. I look forward to seeing a continuation of the journey.
As a big skier I am jealous of where you live! Best skiing in the world there.
Do you plan on an E session every Saturday (Black Pro) or every other Saturday (standard Black)? The former makes sense, if you want to keep your running high on your priority list.

Please don't think I'm trying to pick apart everything you are planning. You are on the right path! Take or leave all of this, and let me know whether I can ever be any help.
J-Madd, thanks a lot for taking the time to look over my plan. Appreciate all the advice!

I think I will do what you suggest and run the SE for the last 3 weeks. Good chance to get some KB swings in! I'll probably do a cluster with: KB Goblet Squats, KB Swings, pushups, inverted rows (if I can get some rings for home), and possibly dips.

I would definitely love to do 600m resets and Fast 5 for HIC. If I can get outside to run, I definitely will.

When I do the Operator + Black continuation I will probably do E runs every Saturday.

Thanks again! Great advice.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Base Building Week 2:

Monday 11/21/16
Squat = 175x3x5
BP = 165x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4,3,2,2
DL = 215x1x5

Realized for my sessions last week I used 70% of 1rpm, not 75% as called for in Fighter. Oh well!

This week is feeling fairly heavy; hoping that 90% next week isn't too much.

Tuesday 11/22/16
LSS treadmill run = 35 min

Felt pretty good, slightly easier than last week's 30 min run. Maybe just getting used to the boredom of the treadmill.

Wednesday 11/23/16
LSS treadmill run = 40 min

Felt even easier (mentally) than yesterday's run. Getting the hang of these relatively long treadmill sessions. Helped along by a Jocko Podcast with Tim Kennedy. Intense and interesting guys; keeps me distracted from the treadmill monotony.

Thursday 11/24/16
Squat = 175x3x5
BP = 165x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4,2
DL = 215x1x5

Squat, DL, and BP all felt good. Pull ups were a struggle; probably from the extra volume I did last workout. I am loving the pullups in general though.

Friday 11/25/16
Recovery day. Right knee has been a little sore from the running and my right shin is feeling a little tender. Want to prevent shin splints so took full advantage of the recovery day. Rolled out my calves as they have tightened up from all the running.

Saturday 11/26/16
LSS outdoor run = 46min 30s 7.4 km

Nothin better than dirt road running. Had to walk up a steep, large hill on the way out and back to keep from gassing out. Other than that, it was a good run.

2 Week Check-In:

After two weeks I'm lovin TB base building. Lifting sub-maximal is really letting me work on technique and feel solid with the lifts. I'm also enjoying the runs. This week's outdoor LSS was the longest I've run and it felt great. Legs are definitely taking a beating, but the rest days give them enough time to recover.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Base Building Week 3:

Monday 11/28/16

Squat = 200x3x2
BP = 185x3x2
Pullups = +10lb 2,2,2; BW 4,3
DL = 245x1x3

Didn't sleep well over the weekend and missed breakfast this morning. Reduced reps from 3 to 2 to play it safe. Weights actually didn't feel too heavy except for bench. Pretty stiff during the squats, should have done a more thorough warmup.

Tuesday 11/29/16

LSS treadmill run = 45 min

The run was a bit tough today. Felt tired quicker than I did last week.

Wednesday 11/30/16

Struggled with this run. Slowed it down from yesterday, but I still stopped after 35 min. Week 3 isn't going as well I'd hoped. Hopefully I can redeem myself Saturday. Shooting for a 50-60min run.

Thursday 12/1/16

Recovery day today. Lifting fits into my schedule better tomorrow.

Friday 12/2/16

Squat = 200x3x3
BP = 185x3x3
Pullups = +10lb 2,2,2; BW 4,3
DL = 245x1x3

Saturday 12/3/16

LSS treadmill run = 60 min

Couldn't get outside today. Slowed my pace down and hit 60 minutes fairly easily. Especially considering I was at the bar last night. That hangover post in the forum was right.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Base Building Week 4:

Mon 12/5/16
Squat = 165x3x5
BP = 155x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4,3
DL = 205x1x5

Tuesday 12/6/16

Worked through lunch today and was working on running form. Between the two I decided to cut the run short.

Wednesday 12/7/16
LSS treadmill run = 50 min

Worked on form again; I'm trying to feel the drive in my hamstrings and glutes more. Been too quad dominant and its bothering my knees a little. Also, been slowing my running down lately. Good run today.

Thursday 12/8/16
Recovery Day

Friday 12/9/16
Squat = 165x3x5
BP = 155x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4,3

Saturday
LSS outdoor run = 52min

First winter snow run. Dressed a little warmer and it was great.

My right leg (shin and knee) were really sore later Saturday night. Foam rolling seems to help with the soreness a little. I think I'm going to get my running form professionally assessed and get some recommendations for running shoes.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

This week was supposed to be week 5 of Base Building. There are some things that have happened that make this week pretty much a write-off. Might get to the gym Friday then a run Saturday possibly.

Plan is to start next week with week 5, tack an extra week onto the Max Strength and E portion (to finish out the Fighter cycle), then move onto the final three weeks of SE + E.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Base Building Week 5:
Missed this week. Life events.

Base Building Week 5 (actual):

Monday 12/19/16
Sick today.

Tuesday 12/20/16
Squat = 175x3x5
BP = 165x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4
DL = 205x1x5, 215x1x5

Didn't do my plate addition correctly on the DLs the first time. Added another set at the correct weight.

Wednesday 12/21/16
LSS treadmill run = 45 min

Although I didn't take last week off for recovery purposes, it definitely made a difference for my right leg which was feeling the wear and tear (probably from poor running form or some sort of imbalance). The run felt great, no aches or pains in my knee/shin.

Thursday 12/22/16

Saturday 12/24/16
Squat = 175x3x5
BP = 165x3x5
Pullups = BW 4,4,4
DL = 215x1x5

Its Christmas holidays, so that means a lot of family events, drinking and eating. I missed the final run of the week and next week will likely be disrupted as well.