Nick's Base Building Log/Critique if you'd like

nickgoldma

Nick's Base Building Log/Critique if you'd like

Post by nickgoldma »

So I decided to set up an 8 week base building method using the strength first model the first 5 weeks using Fighter and then go strength endurance the last 3 weeks I really like the idea and concept of using a log online to share what i am do, as I think it will keep me motivated, etc. I plan on starting tomorrow but below is what I plan on executing the next 5 weeks.

The Cluster I am using is Overhead Press, Back Squat, and Deadlift. I am toying with the idea of doing deadlifts one lifting day while doing assisted pull ups the other lifting day. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are. Anyways...

Sunday-Fighter
Monday-Endurance
Tuesday-Endurance
Wednesday-Fighter
Thursday-Recovery
Friday-Endurance
Saturday-Off

Let me know what your thoughts are. Should I add in an an HIC day and take out an endurance day? I also would like to make some use of my kettlebell so perhaps add some swings in after both lifting days? Just toying with some ideas here but trying not to overthink. My endurance is horrendous right now and I would like to build it up for future law enforcement PT tests, etc. Thanks everyone. I plan on starting tomorrow. Cheers.
Get after it!

Moz69

Re: Nick's Base Building Log/Critique if you'd like

Post by Moz69 »

I don't have enough knowledge Nick to critique but good luck on your training fella and thanks for sharing
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Moz69 wrote:I don't have enough knowledge Nick to critique but good luck on your training fella and thanks for sharing
Thanks, I start today. For the record, I am around 257, 6'0''. Male, 24 years old.
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

So I just finished my first set of lifts for Fighter. I felt pretty good and considering I used a training max, it was on the lighter side which is something I wanted to try, especially with the amount of running/endurance sessions to get use to. I am also looking forward to build up my lifts the best way possible.

My 1RMs were:

Squat-200lbs
OHP-100lbs
Deadlift-185lbs

I then calculated a training max and am using:

Squat-175lbs
OHP-85lbs
Deadlift-155lbs and then obviously used the % from the book for the Fighter program.

Today I lifted:
Squat-125lbs-3x5
OHP-65lbs-5x5
Deadlift-115lbs-3x5

Over the course of the next two days, I have E sessions planned before I hit the weights again on Wednesday. I'll update my progress, etc. here.
Get after it!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Well done, matey.

Don't worry about 'should I' or 'could i' ........ You're at the start of the journey. Stick with the program you have mentioned and see it to the end...... Retest at the end and see where you are at goal wise, and then you'll have an idea as to whether to tweak the program.

If you're at the start, then slow and steady wins the race, giving you a foundation upon which to build from. If you go too hard too soon, then you may not be as consistent as you like....... Endurance / aerobic work is necessary, since it leads to better recovery in lifting.

Enjoy the journey, Nick. I look forward to reading stellar reports. 8-)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Today I did a 20 minute E session LSS. I did 10 minutes on the bike and 10 minutes on the treadmill. Feeling good!
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Did another 20 minute E session this evening and it was on the cross trainer. I hit the weights again tomorrow.
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Yesterday: Off/Active Rest

Today: OHP-65lbs
Squat-125lbs
Pull downs-3x10 at 80lbs

I switched my middle off/rest day and lift days due to schedules, etc.
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Back on it again this week...

Yesterday (Sunday):

OHP- 75lbs 5x5
Squat- 140lbs 3x5
Pull downs- 3x5 90lbs

I was a little pressed for time so I switched out the deadlifts for pull downs. I will perform DLs on Wednesday.

Now I'm gonna try and get some E in tonight! 30 minutes of steady state/LSS is what I am aiming for.
Get after it!

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

nickgoldma wrote:So I decided to set up an 8 week base building method using the strength first model the first 5 weeks using Fighter and then go strength endurance the last 3 weeks I really like the idea and concept of using a log online to share what i am do, as I think it will keep me motivated, etc. I plan on starting tomorrow but below is what I plan on executing the next 5 weeks.

The Cluster I am using is Overhead Press, Back Squat, and Deadlift. I am toying with the idea of doing deadlifts one lifting day while doing assisted pull ups the other lifting day. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are. Anyways...

Sunday-Fighter
Monday-Endurance
Tuesday-Endurance
Wednesday-Fighter
Thursday-Recovery
Friday-Endurance
Saturday-Off

Let me know what your thoughts are. Should I add in an an HIC day and take out an endurance day? I also would like to make some use of my kettlebell so perhaps add some swings in after both lifting days? Just toying with some ideas here but trying not to overthink. My endurance is horrendous right now and I would like to build it up for future law enforcement PT tests, etc. Thanks everyone. I plan on starting tomorrow. Cheers.
Looks solid! I would recommend against including HIC the first 5-6 weeks, HIC and LSS have opposing adaptations.
Also, a little food for thought, I like your KB swing idea but personally I'd do assisted pull-up finishers instead until you conquer your first 3-5. It would look something like this:

Fighter#1 SQ/MP/DL + Assisted PU
Fighter#2 SQ/MP/Assisted PU

Something to think about, cheers.