Grouchyjarhead Training

Barkadion

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:47 am Over the weekend, I took part in a 15 hour event called "Heavy Drop Training Throwdown". Over the course of the night we did about 11 workouts, rucked a lot of heavy miles, timed runs, quarter miles of death, lots of "fun" stuff. It was pretty hard but definitely a good time. Recuperating a bit, then picking up some barbell work again - not many events planned this year, so the goal is to get strong enough to manhandle the 120# sandbag.
Good to see you are logging again, Grouchy. With heavy stuff as usual. Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks Bark! It was a good one.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Training update -

New training block of Operator I/A + Black Professional begins this week. Goal this training block is to focus on max strength, sandbag technique work, burpee finishers, loaded carries, running, and rucking. The goal is to increase my max strength to carry it over to heavy sandbag work for workouts and carries, while still maintaining/improving my timed runs and rucks. Ultimate goal is to get very comfortable with a 120# sandbag for PT and loaded carries.

Operator I/A will be strict press, back squats, and weighted pull-ups with a burpee finisher. The next day will be a sandbag pyramid of 1-10 reps for cleans, push press, and front squats (weight is based off of loaded carries so it starts light and progresses from there - technique work primarily), followed by a HIC most days (alternating Apex Hills one day and timed loaded carries the next), with the occasional E workout for running and rucking. The day after that will be an off day, and it repeats in a similar fashion for the entire block.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Been a while since I posted in here.

Finally cutting my teeth with GP. Did a 6 mile run pre-test, fell just a few minutes short so I'm running the abbreviated Capacity to see if I can top it. Then continuing with it depending on when I meet that goal. I have some big events lined up this year.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:10 pm Been a while since I posted in here.

Finally cutting my teeth with GP. Did a 6 mile run pre-test, fell just a few minutes short so I'm running the abbreviated Capacity to see if I can top it. Then continuing with it depending on when I meet that goal. I have some big events lined up this year.
Good to see you back to the forum. Good luck with GP!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Barkadion wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:25 pm
grouchyjarhead wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:10 pm Been a while since I posted in here.

Good to see you back to the forum. Good luck with GP!
Thanks Bark!

Last week was Week 1 of Capacity. LSS run, LSS ruck, then Saturday was the long E session. I had to do it on the dreadmill due to the busy day (wife's birthday) and then the power ended up kicking off so I have no idea how long I did. Last strength session of the week, my shoulder was acting up so just cleans and front squats.

I am not using Operator for this as I train strictly from home now so MS work with barbells is limited. My strength work consists of ladders with a few different sandbag exercises one day (with progression built in for meeting the time allotted) and burpee-focused SE sessions the other day, alternating each session. One the two SE sessions a week, one is done with a weight vest and some lower reps so it is a bit more strength-focused.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I have not posted on here in a long time, I apologize.

I ran the 8 week abbreviated Capacity program this year as mentioned before and met the standard at the end of the 8 weeks, significantly improved my running pace. Highly recommend it.

I had some big plans this year but due to filling in for my boss most of the year (I was running my station for 7 months as we had no big boss due to department promotions/maneuvers) and a pair of injuries, none of it really panned out. I did start training in BJJ finally and earned a stripe so far, really enjoying it. I also got to do some runs and memorial workouts with my sons which was awesome.

Next year I am up for a more administrative/training role for operations on the daylight shift so I am looking to make the best of it. I'm in training to be a control tactics and Taser instructor at the academy (something I've wanted to do for a long time but never had the opportunity) which means working with the recruits more. The academy Sgt and I are friends and both Marines, so we plan on PTing with them when able. They will learn the joys of 8 count bodybuilders. We are also exploring sandbags for the officers - issue one to each person right out the academy with a program, and they now have a workout tool at their disposal 24/7.

Next year I am eyeballing the GORUCK HTB at Fort Bragg as the big event, and possibly some of the new Green Beret Fitness events which are individual rucking events with high standards. I missed the one I was supposed to do this year, so definitely looking forward to that one.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good to see you back to logging! Looking forward to seeing your next year training!
Cheers.