Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20.8 mile trail run with ~3000 feet of elevation in a Ohio state park. 5:21:03. Super muddy and hilly but a lot of fun.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Nice. Love your variety and work capacity.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

mikhou wrote:Nice. Love your variety and work capacity.
Thanks mikhou! Definitely a fun time, recommend doing one sometime.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Very impressive run!

isotee

Post by isotee »

Nice work, very impressive run! Btw I was very happy with my 8km (5mi) trail ruck y'day until now, haha :D . You are such an inspiration.

I read your notes and noticed this one:
"Test 7: Exercise Stiletto. On Friday, start 28 hour food and water fast at 1800 hours. At 0600 on Saturday, 3 mile run. At 1200, 3 mile ruck with 60# and boots. At 1300, consume 4oz water and one bouillon cube. At 2200, 4 mile ruck march with 60# and boots. Hydration and nutrition after."

- Could you explain the background, is this a test for certain troops or is it just something you do during training? Somehow I find this interesting, Might give a try but need to build up endurance first...

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks VC and isotee!

@isotee - This was actually one of seven challenges given by a British tabbing (rucking) organization. It is to honor Corporal Jack Sillito of the British SAS.

Separated from his other SAS members in Libya, Corporal Sillito had to trek about 180 miles through the Sahara Desert with just a a small flask of water as his only sustenance to a cache near an oasis that he knew of. He ran out of water quickly, and soon found a can of beef in an old tank. His mouth was too dry to eat, so he just used the can to drink his own urine. He was essentially barefoot after a short while, and his tongue was so swollen he could barely speak. He saw British jeeps at one point and tried to get their attention, even burning his shirt, but they drove off without seeing him. At this point he thought about killing himself and tried smashing his head off of a rock, but he was so weak he later remarked he couldn't even give himself a headache. He eventually made it to the cache and discovered all the supplies were gone. He laid down to die, thinking that was it, and then it did one of the rarest things in the Sahara - it rained. He got enough water to survive and was found by an SAS patrol later on, 8 days after he began his journey. Amazing grit and determination.

isotee

Post by isotee »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Thanks VC and isotee!

@isotee - This was actually one of seven challenges given by a British tabbing (rucking) organization. It is to honor Corporal Jack Sillito of the British SAS.

Separated from his other SAS members in Libya, Corporal Sillito had to trek about 180 miles through the Sahara Desert with just a a small flask of water as his only sustenance to a cache near an oasis that he knew of. He ran out of water quickly, and soon found a can of beef in an old tank. His mouth was too dry to eat, so he just used the can to drink his own urine. He was essentially barefoot after a short while, and his tongue was so swollen he could barely speak. He saw British jeeps at one point and tried to get their attention, even burning his shirt, but they drove off without seeing him. At this point he thought about killing himself and tried smashing his head off of a rock, but he was so weak he later remarked he couldn't even give himself a headache. He eventually made it to the cache and discovered all the supplies were gone. He laid down to die, thinking that was it, and then it did one of the rarest things in the Sahara - it rained. He got enough water to survive and was found by an SAS patrol later on, 8 days after he began his journey. Amazing grit and determination.
Thank you Sir! What an amazing story. Respect.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

The TB Reddit put up a challenge for December - Burpees for the Mentally Disturbed. I had a similar challenge given to me by someone else (Iron Wolf 12 minute burpee drill x2) so I knocked this out tonight.

As many burpees as possible in 12 minutes, rest 90 seconds, and then repeat. To be fair I only counted my reps at the 10 minute mark - 83 and 67. That sucked a lot.

(96 and 81 were my reps in 12 minutes in case you were interested.)

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I had set a personal goal that by Thursday of this week I was going to do 500 burpees in a row for time. I was right on point to do it until I managed to strain my lat somehow on my right side. Out of commission for a bit to get this squared away.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

About a year and a half ago, I did a session of GC1 with lazy form so that I was using more of a jacknife motion than a proper squat. Strained my lower abs so bad I was wondering if I had an infection, or something similar. It was like I constantly had to go like I was drinking beer in college, except actually going provided zero relief. Lasted almost a week.