Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170527:
Blackbeard Challenge today. Did the Level 2 workout using my 30# ruck. After a half mile and a quick warm up, I then did the following: (1) 1.5 mile weighted run/walk; (2) 75 sit-ups and 50 push-ups; (3) 1.5 mile weighted run/walk; (4) 2 minute plank, 50 jumping jacks, 25 burpees; (5) 1.5 mile weighted run/walk. Goal was 1:15, finished in 1:17:10. I then squeezed in an extra 2 miles at the end for a total of 7 miles.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170529:
Memorial Day here in the US. A day we remember the relatives, loved ones, and friends who died in war. I could share the several names I have hanging on me, but to truly honor them I think some quality time with the family is on board. Quick workout in the AM.

SE Alpha, 3x20. 20 reps of body weight chin-ups (5 sets), 60 ruck push-ups, 60 ruck overhead lunges, 60 ruck goblet squats, 60 two handed swings with the 24kg. Noticed my chin up numbers declining quickly (I could hit 10 in a straight set with effort, now I'm struggling to hit 6) so I think I was doing more assisted than full reps with my higher volume approach. This time I'm just hitting the required reps (10/20/30) in as many sets as it takes but just one "set." Another poster's idea, will name drop once I can find it.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Outstanding effort as always on The Blackbeard!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks GiGisDaddy! I think the best time ended up being 1:04, so not too shabby for an older guy like myself. I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to doing the Level 3 next year. Some guys I know and I were even thinking of making it a weekend thing: Level 3 on Friday, Level 2 on Saturday, and Level 1 on Sunday.

20170531:
Easy 2 mile ruck this morning before work. No rush, just drank my coffee and got moving for a bit. Bodyweight core circuit tonight.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170601:
Mixed things up a bit for fun today. I did the MARSOC "short card", a collection of 20 bodyweight exercises you do as quickly as possible with three sets of dead hang pull-ups at the end for a total of 21. I heard quite a few of the GORUCK cadre are fans of it, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to become familiar with it.

I did the first 20 exercises in 18:43, much better than I expected. All done with bodyweight only, as I cut my teeth more with it I may incorporate a light ruck and/or an additional round.

Total exercises completed was 120 push-ups, 30 air squats, 30 crunches, 40 burpees, 10 windmills, 30 mountain climbers, 30 flutter kicks, 10 cherry pickers, 30 star jumpers, 30 back extensions (modified these a bit as I did not want to aggravate my back), 10 chain breakers, 30 lunges, 30 hello dollies, and 10 trunk twists. I cracked out my pull-ups as I got ready for work, but I left the numbers at home so I will update with those later. Needless to say, I can tell there is not as much fatigue as there was before as the numbers looked much better today.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170603:
Nice and slow 8 mile ruck, just kept the clock running as I stopped to take pictures, chat with some friends on the trail, and a few pit stops. 2:43:06, 30# ruck, just getting some miles in.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170606:
Wasn't feeling too spry today, so I decided to just do two work sets (2x30) of ruck PT rather than three.

15 chin-ups (half my usual goal for the day), 60 ruck push-ups, 60 ruck overhead lunges, 60 ruck goblet squats, 60 two handed swings with the 24kg. In good news, the first round of 30 for everything was easy and unbroken. The second time through was harder and I could tell I was fatigued - had to rest before finishing the last 10 swings.

Did ROMWOD twice, once in the morning and once in the evening.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Forgot to mention - I have my two young boys on a PT schedule for the summer and they love it so far. They had a test for the first session (flex arm hang, max squats in 60 sec, max push-ups in 60 sec, max sit-ups in 60 sec, max burpees in 60 sec, and a timed half mile run), the others have been based around those with a good volume for them right now (2 sets of their age right now, we're working on good form first of all, and quarter mile runs with rest in between). Plan is to test them at the end of the summer to see their progress. Between these and their MMA classes they are sleeping like champs too.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170608:
Easy 2 mile ruck before work. 30# dry, right around a 20 minute pace on the hilly route around my neighborhood.

So far I'm at 58/75 for total miles for my Pathfinder class, going for 8-10 with the wife for the mountain ruck challenge this weekend (provided work doesn't hit me with overtime) so I'll be at at least 66, which is a bit less than I had hoped for coming at the end of Week 6. I wanted about 9 more for a total of 75, as my next challenge was going to be double miles (150 miles in 12 weeks). Being that I have a mud run coming up one Saturday as well which will cut into one of my long rucks, I might need to throw on my ruck for some walks with the dog to get 150.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170610:
12 hours of overtime today so the long ruck is out. Woke up early and tried one from the TB2 vault - "Cannonball Run", with a 16kg.

3 miles in 51 minutes with 60 one-arm swings, 30 ruck push-ups, 30 ruck squats. Need to pad it a bit better next time, but good times.