Grouchyjarhead Training

GlassCityMedic

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by GlassCityMedic »

I love the Cannonball run but its a grind for sure.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I enjoyed it actually, might need to work it in more often.

20170613:
21 hours of overtime over the past few days so I was dragging a bit this morning. Fortunately I managed to get in gear and got my SE Alpha circuit in this morning, and it felt great. Everything was strong and solid. Total of 20 chin-ups, 60 ruck push-ups, 60 ruck overhead lunges, 60 ruck goblet squats, 60 two handed swings with the 24kg.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Another busy week.

20170616:
Cannonball Run. PT stop every 6 minutes this time, 16kg kettlebell. 3 miles at a 16:02 pace, 80 single arm swings, 40 ruck push-ups, 40 ruck squats. Total time approximately one hour.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Dragging a bit this week from all the overtime. It was a long one.

I was hoping to get some miles in yesterday, but we had to get an early start for my boys' first official no-gi tournament. We were there for about half the day (oldest took 3rd in beginner no-gi, 6-7 with submissions - youngest took 2nd in beginner no-gi, 4-5 with no submissions; not many kids in either division) and they had pizza and dodgeball after back at the MMA gym. Parents vs kids for several games, and they were each long (even the coach sat out, he had enough!).

Back at work today, and with some Father's Day plans tonight, I'll probably be waiting until Monday to hit the ground with my pack on again.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Dragging a bit this week from all the overtime. It was a long one.

I was hoping to get some miles in yesterday, but we had to get an early start for my boys' first official no-gi tournament. We were there for about half the day (oldest took 3rd in beginner no-gi, 6-7 with submissions - youngest took 2nd in beginner no-gi, 4-5 with no submissions; not many kids in either division) and they had pizza and dodgeball after back at the MMA gym. Parents vs kids for several games, and they were each long (even the coach sat out, he had enough!).

Back at work today, and with some Father's Day plans tonight, I'll probably be waiting until Monday to hit the ground with my pack on again.
Congrats to the Little Jarheads! Happy Father's Day to their day!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

J-Madd wrote:Congrats to the Little Jarheads! Happy Father's Day to their day!
Thank you sir! The youngest won his first match but lost the next two on points as he is still learning how to pass guard effectively. The other kids essentially got some points on him and then held him in their guard until the timer ran out. This was his second tournament so he was more relaxed than my oldest, he just has a bad habit of looking up at the score during his matches.

The oldest fought two really tough kids. He was winning his first on points but then gave up his back and got choked. During his second match, he scored a great takedown but left himself vulnerable for a guillotine and got tapped out. He was a bundle of nerves being that this was his first one, but now that he got to do it he's excited to go to class and train more.

20170619:
Quick 2 mile ruck this morning on a nice hilly loop near my home. My GPS got screwy during it, but it was roughly 36 minutes or so. New boots (Merrell Moab 2) so I'm breaking them in, they are fantastic so far. For Father's Day I got a pair of Darn Tough hiker socks as one of my gifts and tried them today as well - I see what all the fuss is about as they are extremely comfortable.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170620:
I've been cleaning up my diet a bit, and tracking my weight every day to figure out my weekly average loss. I'm hovering around 193 right now, with progress each week (some small, some big) so it's working out well.

Today was SE "Alpha", Week 3. I did 30 pull-ups (8 sets - did almost a third of them in the first set, then it quickly dropped down to sets of 3), 90 ruck push-ups, 90 ruck overhead lunges, 90 ruck goblet squats, and 90 two handed swings with the 24kg. I managed all three sets of each exercise with no breaks/pauses - just straight reps, and holding firm to 90 sec between exercises continuously. It wasn't easy, but I'm very pleased. The first time I tried 3x30, it was very tough and I had to take a few breaks. The second time, I was beat from work and only managed two sets of each with no breaks. This time everything felt strong. Good timing too, as next weekend the wife and I are traveling to Cincinatti for a little GORUCK fun. I'm right where I want to be.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:20170620:
I've been cleaning up my diet a bit, and tracking my weight every day to figure out my weekly average loss. I'm hovering around 193 right now, with progress each week (some small, some big) so it's working out well.

Today was SE "Alpha", Week 3. I did 30 pull-ups (8 sets - did almost a third of them in the first set, then it quickly dropped down to sets of 3), 90 ruck push-ups, 90 ruck overhead lunges, 90 ruck goblet squats, and 90 two handed swings with the 24kg. I managed all three sets of each exercise with no breaks/pauses - just straight reps, and holding firm to 90 sec between exercises continuously. It wasn't easy, but I'm very pleased. The first time I tried 3x30, it was very tough and I had to take a few breaks. The second time, I was beat from work and only managed two sets of each with no breaks. This time everything felt strong. Good timing too, as next weekend the wife and I are traveling to Cincinatti for a little GORUCK fun. I'm right where I want to be.
I am thinking of running "Alpha" for my last 3 weeks of BB.. How do you like having 8 sets for pull-ups? Survivable? It looks a bit scary to me :) I might go with easy versions like push-ups/inverted rows/lunges, all BW....
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I do the pull-ups first, resting 90 sec between each just like SE, and then do the final four in a circuit. I figure get the pull-ups done while I'm fresh for practice, then hit the rest. I didn't mind it, it didn't take long and I like the rep goal approach. I've seen my numbers climbing up slowly again, so it's all good in my book.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I do the pull-ups first, resting 90 sec between each just like SE, and then do the final four in a circuit. I figure get the pull-ups done while I'm fresh for practice, then hit the rest. I didn't mind it, it didn't take long and I like the rep goal approach. I've seen my numbers climbing up slowly again, so it's all good in my book.
Sounds good, thank you :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky