Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I was on vacation this week so tried to minimize my online time. The GORUCK was yesterday, completed it with no issues whatsoever. Lots of coupons to carry, occasional PT breaks, and some time in the river. Beer and kielbasa sandwich after to celebrate. Good times.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Done with vacation and my week long training, back at it. Strained my shoulder a bit during training, it's mostly better but pressing movements are limited for now.

20170422:
Running, Ex60M. Focused on nasal breathing and keeping my HR low. Just over four miles, nothing amazing but between the rain and the few weeks off it's a good start. Turkish get-up practice later, since I can't use any weight I just did bodyweight for about 10 minutes.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170423:
For fun, threw on my ruck with about 15% BW as I did roughly 90 minutes of yard work. Long ROMWOD routine that night.

20170424:
Scaled "fun run". 30 minute run, timer to go off every 5 minutes, stop and move to a safe location, 5 burpees, then continue running. Managed 1.8 miles and 30 burpees. Idea is to increase speed and burpees during that time, then slowly scale up the time. I've decided to use this workout to gauge my progress during this next block. Ab training (lots of flutter kicks and hello dollies) and ROMWOD tonight.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

New training block starts today. I signed up for the Pathfinder course, a ruck-focused training course over the next 12 weeks where by achieving certain objects you can graduate the course. The wife and I started with the beginner course, Forward, which commences today.

Over the next 12 weeks I have to ruck at least 75 miles, do at least twenty ruck WODs (PT with a ruck), and complete at least 4 of the Pathfinder Challenges. The Challenges I'm looking to complete are (1) passing the U.S. Army Physical Fitness Test (2 min push-ups, 2 min sit-ups, 2 mile run), (2) 8 mile mountain ruck (ruck a hilly trail, no pavement allowed), (3) ruck 12 miles in under 3:30, (4) complete a GORUCK Light or Tough (we signed up for the Cincinnati Light around the 4th of July as a little get away trip), and (5) ruck 75 miles on top of the base requirements (total of 150 miles).

So pretty bare bones this time around, nothing too crazy. Basically Fighter/Green, but the strength work is linear for me to work back into it. Two days a week I'll do some barbell training in the morning (bench and front squats) with some ruck PT and kettlebell swings in the evening. The other three days I'll ruck, twice for just 60 minutes (easy to get in before work), and one long weekend one of 2+ hours. I have one firm day off, and the other as a optional recovery/rest day - if anything, I might do a light fun run on this day if I'm feeling froggy.

So tonight will be my first Army PFT attempt. To be edited later.

20170501:
Army PFT testing. Resting 5 minutes between each exercise.

Max Push-Ups in 2 Min: 60. Not bad, max points is 75. Passed.
Max Sit-Ups in 2 Min: 48. Since I can't do many situps due to my back though, I'll take it. Passed.
2 Mile Timed Run: 16:24. This one surprised me, much better than I thought I would do. Passed.

Total of 224 points. 1st Pathfinder challenge complete.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

I have been eyeing the Pathfinder programs myself.. Look forward to reading your thoughts and progression!

I was just about to follow the programs you had posted in the past.. well after some break in training.. thinking either September or January there will be events close enough for me to make. Fingers crossed. Just wondering, as you have done a few with your own training schemes, why did you decide on the Pathfinder?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Honestly it fit right in with what I was doing for Fighter/Green this time around anyways so it didn't change anything. It just gave me some motivation to hit miles and try some challenges. My wife was very interested and since she caught the GORUCK bug now she wanted to up her rucking too so it was something we could do together.

The minimum mileage of 75 isn't too steep for a beginner attempt. It basically boils down to 6 miles a week on average. That's an easy hour long ruck twice a week.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

that's great, you and your wife doing it.. look forward to your post..

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

It's already garnered some interest in TB as well. At least one bought TB2 today.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170502:
Quick ruck before work. 2.1 miles in 40 minutes. Going a bit slow today due to the rain and sore from yesterday's APFT (not ashamed to say I ran my ass off for that two miles). Usually I can get a good hour in if I hustle, but today any more would have been cutting it close. Some bodyweight core training and ROMWOD later on.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

If I may ask, are you using your event weight? More or less?