Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Event weight. 30# dry, which is what will probably be all of the rucks I do and any ruck exercises during SE sessions.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

thanks for the info! I have started light, my 1st ruck was Saturday with about 15# 30 minute stroll 2.09 miles.. going to do another today after cutting the grass, overslept this morning after staying up late with wife. May raise the weight up to 20# and see how it feels. Or should I get the miles up before the weight? Not going to stress over it, guess there isn't a right or wrong way. But if you have had success one way over the other I would appreciate your input very much.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I think you're on the right track. I would recommend staying at the same weight until you can do 4 miles in under 60 minutes (a 15 minute pace). Then add 5# and work towards the same goal. If you hit that, then increase distance by 1-2 miles and repeat in that manner. For most folks, 6-8 mile rucks are plenty (something you can get done in two hours).

If you want to get more serious about it, I would cap it at around 12 miles for most training sessions. Once you hit 12 miles with a certain weight under a 15 minute pace, start over at 6 but with a slightly heavier starting weight than you did before (e.g. if you started with 20#, try 30#). This way you're not constantly pushing hard miles and giving yourself some easier weeks to build back up to 12 miles.

That's all my ruck philosophy really is. Just get time under the ruck and put in the effort.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170503:
Ruck PT in the morning. Once I get back from vacation, I'll have some minimalist barbell work (bench + front squats) in the morning and ruck PT in the evening. Following SE Alpha for right now, 30# dry rucksack.

15 chin-ups, 30 ruck push-ups, 30 ruck overhead lunges, 30 ruck goblet squats, and 30 two arm KB swings with the 24kg. No more than 90 sec of rest between sets/exercises, all in under 30 minutes.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

whew, wish I had read this last night.. I pulled a page from your playbook and cut the grass with the ruck on, light weight.. then added 10# to walk.. Did 2 miles in 30 minutes with 20 # but should have done 4 miles with 10 or 15! Hamstrings are toast today.. thanks for the recommendation, copied it onto the Groucjyjarhead GORUCK training page i have pieced together with the post you have here and on Reddit..Will quit interrupting your training page, but thanks for the advise :D

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

All good GGD, pop in anytime or shoot me a PM. Rucking is one of the few endurance modalities that hits your posterior core well so slow and steady progress is key.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170505:
7 mile ruck early this morning, 16:20 average pace. Pouring rain throughout so between that and the slightly heavier weight it was a good session.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

After the 7 miler the other day we went out of town for a few days. Came back yesterday afternoon so I fit in the same workout as the 3rd, rather than bumping the reps up this time. I'm off this week so I hope to get in a couple long ones.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170510:
Ruck PT. 3x20 today. Total of 30 body weight chin ups, 60 ruck push-ups, 60 ruck overhead lunges, 60 ruck goblet squats, 60 two hand swings with 24kg. 90 sec rest between exercises.

In the evening my wife suckered me into some kettlebell sport practice. Did about 120 snatches with the 12kg.

Hoping to finally lock down a gym membership this week to add some barbell work.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170511:
8 mile ruck march with a friend along a river trail. 14:41 average pace despite a pretty steady rain - talking and walking definitely speeds things up I've always noticed. Bodyweight core circuit tonight.