Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

So there's a conflict with a family outing for that 50k now (Boy Scouts), so after some brief consideration I'm going to run Base Building again.

This one will be an alternate BB. 5 days a week of E (30-45 minutes per session, 3 runs and 2 rucks). 5 days a week of SE (burpees for time and pull-up ladders 3 days a week, KB swings and TGUs two days a week). Starts tomorrow.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ABB W1D1:
**Morning session after work - 100 burpees in 11:32, then pull-up ladders for 32 total reps.
**Afternoon session before work - 45 minute run, 3.07 miles, ~470' elevation.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:33 am ABB W1D1:
**Morning session after work - 100 burpees in 11:32, then pull-up ladders for 32 total reps.
**Afternoon session before work - 45 minute run, 3.07 miles, ~470' elevation.
Hey Grouchy,

Good to see you back logging regularly. One question are those full burpees or 8 count?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Hi Max,

I like doing my burpees Iron Wolf style like in this video here. I have plans to progress to 200 reps each session over BB (three times a week). My birthday is in this block, so I plan to do my age x10 as a test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX72pKuQnZs

I am using nasal breathing for the burpees too which slows things down a bit, but I think in the long run it will be a good idea.

ABB W1D2:
Morning session - 100 hardstyle two hand swings, 5 Turkish get-ups per side. Starting off light just for form purposes, so used 16kg and crushed the StrongFirst standards. I do this session twice a week, and if I meet the standards both times I progress to one hand swings and after that the next KB size up (24kg).

Evening session - Short on time, so the bare minimum of 30 minutes. BB ruck with 50#, nasal breathing, 1.68 miles, 203' elevation. For both running and rucking my pace seems about two minutes slower done BB-style on these hills.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ABB W1D3:
Morning session - 45 minute BB run, nasal breathing. 3.43 miles, same route as before. More distance on a day when I felt exhausted compared to the first day (I was actually napping when I woke up and knew I had to get my run in if I was going to get it done today). Definitely that "what the hell" effect I see sometimes with TB programming.

Evening session - 100 burpees, breathing through the nose only - 16:16. Big difference there since I decided to do it, but in the long run it will be beneficial I think. Tried the water in the mouth trick for optimal nasal breathing and made a whopping 8 burpees, too funny. I then did pull-up ladders for 36 total reps.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ABB W1D4:
Evening session - Had to do both back to back, and didn't finish until late so I'm just getting around to updating now. 100 two-handed swings and 5 Turkish get-ups per side with 16kg (again smoked the StrongFirst standards so it's one hand swings next week). I then ran for 45 minutes on the treadmill - I didn't keep track of distance as I had to stop to take care of one of my children about 15 minutes in, and I hate treadmill running and consider it maintenance only. It sucks!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm Hi Max,

I like doing my burpees Iron Wolf style like in this video here. I have plans to progress to 200 reps each session over BB (three times a week). My birthday is in this block, so I plan to do my age x10 as a test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX72pKuQnZs

I am using nasal breathing for the burpees too which slows things down a bit, but I think in the long run it will be a good idea.

ABB W1D2:
Morning session - 100 hardstyle two hand swings, 5 Turkish get-ups per side. Starting off light just for form purposes, so used 16kg and crushed the StrongFirst standards. I do this session twice a week, and if I meet the standards both times I progress to one hand swings and after that the next KB size up (24kg).

Evening session - Short on time, so the bare minimum of 30 minutes. BB ruck with 50#, nasal breathing, 1.68 miles, 203' elevation. For both running and rucking my pace seems about two minutes slower done BB-style on these hills.
I had a look at Ironwolf. The name keeps popping up but I try and keep my blinkers on these days training wise to avoid training ADHD. I like the channel, though I still consider a burpee to be completed as per Rosstraining standards(High tuck jump, no clap) I like these variations for high reps though after you had me doing variations.

I have been using the nasal breathing in some of my LSS runs. I hadn't thought about it for SE exercises.

I like the BB approach. Enjoy the Bday test mate.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Maxrip13 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:24 pm I had a look at Ironwolf. The name keeps popping up but I try and keep my blinkers on these days training wise to avoid training ADHD. I like the channel, though I still consider a burpee to be completed as per Rosstraining standards(High tuck jump, no clap) I like these variations for high reps though after you had me doing variations.

I have been using the nasal breathing in some of my LSS runs. I hadn't thought about it for SE exercises.

I like the BB approach. Enjoy the Bday test mate.
I am admittedly very set in my ways for my own training nowadays, but occasionally I step out and try something new if I think it has real benefits. Iron Wolf training got me to my first 500 burpees in one session, it was rough but I did it, and I learned I can do so much more work than I initially thought I could because of it. The jumping at the top of the burpee tends to irritate my knees after a while, that's why I often used 8 count bodybuilders in my and other higher mileage trainees' workouts previously. I think his whole rationale for not jumping at the top is he feels he just gets a better workout being able to go right into the next rep once he stands up.

A devious friend of mine (I call him the toughest pastor I know, at 62 he out-PTs guys in their 20s) gave me that idea. Thanks Max!

ABB W1D5:
Last workout of my "week" (due to life circumstances I usually have to take Tuesdays and Fridays off, so my training week tends to be Wed-Thu-Sat-Sun-Mon).

Afternoon session - 45 minute BB hill ruck, 50# ruck, 2.59 miles, 350+' elevation. 30 second faster pace throughout with more elevation than the first session, I'll take it. Starting to get a good rhythm with the nasal breathing again, especially with the water trick.

Evening session - 100 burpees in 12:20, nasal breathing only (water lasted 13 reps this time). Pull-up ladders were a bit tough today but still managed 30 reps.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ABB W2D1:
Bit of a weird day today but got all the work in. In the morning after work, pull ladders for 30 total reps in the morning.

In the afternoon, did some ascents at a local hill with the family and our local ruck club - 1 mile with about 400' elevation, 50# ruck. It's three times up and down our big training hill. I brought my daughter up the first time, and then each of my sons the other two times. We normally don't get to do this with them due to our schedules, so we took advantage of it.

After dinner and before work, burpees, 100 reps in 12:21. Flew through the first 30 (water for first 16), then the CFA kicked in and I had to slow down or puke. The nasal breathing was tough today.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

ABB W2D2:
Had to go back to work for a few hours in the morning after my shift, so I came home and knocked out an easy 30 minute run on the hills. Tired and sore so nothing overwhelming, but I got it in. Positive note - I ran for almost 5 minutes straight with the water trick, definite improvement.

Later on, took my oldest son to a Scout meeting and hit 100 one arm swings with the 16kg in under 5 minutes out in the parking lot. Didn't get the get-ups in because it started to pour rain and we got a tornado warning. By the time I got home I had just enough time to get ready for work, so I will do the get-ups tomorrow (Friday) since it's an off day.