Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170316:
Stand Alone Training. I went for a level 2 today, wanted to scale it back a bit today so I can hit it hard on Saturday.

20 minutes of intervals (just shy of 1.7 miles), then circuit training. 14 pull-ups, 42 ruck push-ups, 42 ruck overhead squats, 42 ab wheel rollouts, 42 two-handed swings in 15 minutes. Stretching and a cold shower after.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:42 ab wheel rollouts
Wow :shock:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

From the knees, nothing great yet :)

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170318:
Just a laid-back ruck march today. Lots of snow on the ground and rain so I decided to forgo the PT stops simply so I'm not slipping and sliding all over the place and potentially injuring myself. Decided to use it as a gear test instead. Got everything prepared as if I was going to my event, threw some coffee in a travel mug, and started walking. Just did about 5 miles at a nice easy pace around the neighborhood.

I think the toughest thing about this route I take is not that I try to hit all the hills in my neighborhood but rather it takes me past my house several times. Each time I see it I feel a strong urge to throw the towel in and go inside. After all it's a lot more appealing to be sitting inside my house in my pajamas drinking coffee and eating eggs and bacon instead of walking with a heavy backpack around the neighborhood in the cold. Each time I push past and keep going though is a nice small victory.

Plank/abwork circuit later on today with some ROMWOD.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Had to go in early for work on Monday and we're in the process of buying a new car so my whole afternoon was shot as well.

20170321:
Decided some Stand Alone Training would be a better choice for today, all things considered. 30 minutes of intervals (just a bit over 2 miles - a bit slower pace this morning as the Grouch body wasn't feeling too great initially) and then 20 minutes of incentive training. 16 pull-ups, 56 rucksack pushups, 56 rucksack overhead squats, 56 ab wheel rollouts from the knees, and 56 two arm swings. Went through the first round wondering why the ruck felt heavy today, turns out I forgot to remove my water bladder. Went the whole circuit through but it was definitely heavier thanks to an extra almost three kilograms of water. The overhead squats were especially rough today. I think my last few on my last set were probably closer to thrusters. That's what happens when you don't drink coffee before training folks.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thursday was a busy day as we were car shopping and eventually settled on something but it was extremely busy. Worked overtime Thursday night until 4 a.m. so Friday was mostly sleeping in a bit and then a bunch of family obligations.

20170325:
Woke up feeling quite poorly and ill. Fortunately that only was for about the first two hours.

The wife and I still got in a good ruck march today. Original plans were 6-8 miles and then hitting up the new rock climbing gym nearby. Between me not feeling 100% and her feeling pretty run down, we just did the 6 miles. 25# ruck, 15:56 pace (and we stopped and talked to a friend on the trail for a bit so that slowed us down some). Good quick paced ruck.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170327:
Stand Alone Training, level 2 due to a bit of a time crunch. 20 minutes of intervals (4mph x60 sec, 5mph x60 sec, 6mph x30 sec), then 15 minutes of circuit training. 12 pull-ups (weak today), 48 ruck push-ups, 48 ruck overhead squats, 32 ab wheel rollouts, 16 four count leg raises holding ruck overhead (neck started bugging me during the rollouts), and 48 two handed swings.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170328:
Ruck High Intensity Conditioning. 25% BW load, fast paced walking on a flat course. Two rounds of 10 minutes, 2 min rest in between. Covered almost a mile and a half, I was stepping it out at a good pace, not counting the brief walk to get there and back. Thought about doing another one, but was on a bit of a time crunch by that point. Plank circuit and ROMWOD tonight.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170330:
Slept quite poorly last night. Long day at work, feeling very tight in the upper back. I started running and only made it about 15 minutes in before I decided a recovery day might be a better idea. Hit up a 40 minute ROMWOD routine which seems to be the ticket, feeling much better.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Been taking it easy the past few days due to some neck issues. Went to an idoor climbing/bouldering place yesterday for the first time, they just opened nearby recently. Spent a good hour there climbing, it was a lot of fun. They rate their courses from V0 to V10, best I finished went up to V3. Some of the skill and strength you see there is extremely impressive.