Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170622:
Cannonball Run, 16kg kettlebell. PT stop every 8 minutes, upped to 15 reps. 3 miles in 47:38. Total of 90 single arm swings, 45 push ups, and 45 squats.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170624:
Terrain Race today with the wife and kids. The wife and I ran the 5K (we wanted to do the 10K but we wouldn't have been done in time for the kid race) and the boys ran the kid course which is half a mile.

Despite not running at all the past several weeks, we ran most of the time (some parts were so muddy you had to walk otherwise you were taunting death) and rocked almost all of the obstacles. Walls, cargo nets, crawls, tire flips, a tire yoke walk, sandbag carry, and bucket of rocks carry - even hammered out the rope climb despite not touching one since 2012.

The last two I couldn't complete. The second to last was a hanging grip challenge - swinging from metal ball handholds. I got three across but I couldn't get #4 and had to drop down. The last was monkey bars over a pool of water - I got about halfway across but my hand slipped off the bar as it was all wet and I went in.

Boys had fun doing theirs too - my youngest was one of the first to finish and even tried hopping on the adult course at one point. Great family day. Might post some pictures if I can find some good ones.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170701:
GORUCK 4th of July event completed. Started off with some PT and relay races, then loaded up on several heavy sandbags and proceeded to hit lots of stairs and hills. We finished with a good bit of burpees and a beer after to celebrate the 4th.

Good things -
(1) PT was solid. My previous mock PFT I did 60 and 48 sit-ups in 2 minutes each. This time, with a close to 30# ruck, I did 88 and 65. Bear crawls were easy.
(2) I got under a sandbag as often as I could, and put in a lot of time under the 80# sandbags.
(3) After the event, I'm tired but not overly sore and my feet are perfectly fine. Overall, it seems like good prep.

The only issue I had was early on the heat and humidity were getting to me, especially as I hadn't planned my nutrition well. After the burpee broad jump race I was dizzy and weak, I had to get in some energy chews and a Clif bar before the stair relay race. I did that though still felt out of sorts but by the time we got to the sandbags I was better. I need to plan my nutrition better for events it seems.

Overall, great time and had a blast. Eating pizza now and enjoying life.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170704:
Took two days off, but felt the itch to do something today. There was a 4th of July Ruck Burpee Challenge issued (go for a 30+ minute ruck and every 4 minutes stop and do 10 ruck burpees but the clock keeps running) so I figured I'd hop on that. I did 10 rounds (40 minutes) with ~30#, was hoping for more but got a late start and had to hustle to work. Overall, I did 100 ruck burpees and covered just over 1.7 miles - nothing fantastic, but it was good to get some work in.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170706:
Barbell work today, first time in a long time due to my knee and back issues. I'll be using the Grunt cluster (PR/FSQ/PU) in the morning before work and working up to 100 consecutive swings with the 28kg kettlebell after work. I'm using a linear progression approach for now rather than periodization. All light stuff, going to slowly build up.

**Press - 55 x6/6/17.
**Front Squat - 95 x6/6/10.
**BW Pull-Ups - 7/5/3.
**Swings - 5x20 with the 28kg.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Congrats on getting back to the iron! One of the best feelings in the world :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Indeed it is Barkadion! It's like hanging out with an old friend once again.

New block of Fighter Bangkok + Green with some personalized tweaks. Goal is a GORUCK Tough and Light in same weekend (roughly 2100-0900 for Tough, then 1400-2000 for Light). Here's the gist of it.

Mon - Max Strength + Swings. OHP, FSQ, bodyweight pull-ups. Swings typically done at night as I will be hitting the gym at 0500.
Tue - APFT attempt ( W1/4/7/10), rest of times Run (2 to 5 miles) + Burpees. Core circuit later in day.
Wed - Max Strength + Swings. Same as Mon.
Thu - Ex60M (short ruck), ruck SE after. Core circuit later.
Fri - Off. I regularly pick up some overtime on Thursday nights which involves a fair bit of walking and a 0400 end time. Fri are off by necessity.
Sat - Long ruck days. These will range from long distance (several hours), heavy for moderate distance (carrying a sandbag in addition to ruck), or a challenge workout (e.g. I want to ruck a marathon distance).
Sun - Off.

The late nights into early Friday morning make me think that if I keep this schedule for the next block I may go for Snake Eater's Delight. Or maybe this one if things go well, I will have a few weeks near the end.

20170710:
Grunt cluster with linear progression. Basically 2x6, 1x6+ every two reps over you can add 5# up to a maximum of 10#. Every rep under 6 on your last set you take off 5# for OHP and 10# for FSQ. Started with about 30% BW for OHP and 50% for FSQ, being very conservative.

**OHP 65 x6/6/12.
**FSQ 105 x6/6/10.
**Bodyweight Pull-ups - 7/6/2 (rep goal 15).
**2HSW with 28kg for 5x20.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170711:
US Army Physical Fitness Test attempt. Big improvement from May 1st. Today's score first, last score in parentheses, points on right.

Push-Ups: 76 (60) - 100 points.
Sit-Ups: 60 (48) - 81 points.
2 Mile Run: 15:65 (16:24) - 75 points.

Total 256 (224 last time) out of 300 points. I'll take it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170712:
TB Grunt cluster + swings.

**OHP 75 x6/6/12.
**FSQ 115 x6/6/10.
**PU BW x 5/4/4/3 (rep goal 15).
**2HSW 28kg for 5x20.

A brief yoga session in the evening, nothing too intense or long.

20170713:
Woke up at zero dark thirty and hit the trail for a quick 4 mile ruck before work (ended up being about four and a quarter due to a side trail I took to avoid a group of drunks coming the other way). Total time 1:09:54, average 16:29 pace with an approx 30# rucksack.

I then shot home and did some ruck PT prior to getting ready for work. SE Alpha circuit, approx 30# rucksack, with the following exercise: rucksack push-ups, rucksack overhead squats, rucksack lunges, and rucksack man makers (hold your ruck, do a burpee, then press it overhead instead of jumping). Total 30 reps of each, using 60 sec rest intervals between exercises and circuits. Whew, that 3x30 week is gonna be a killer. Bodyweight core circuit and ROMWOD tonight.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:side trail I took to avoid a group of drunks coming the other way
Heavy bag resets is my favorite HIC ;) :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky