Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I run into enough trouble at work, I avoid it as much as possible outside of it. They were probably fine (cheering, good spirits, someone's 21st birthday from the sounds of it) but no sense in putting myself into a position of disadvantage for no reason. I got an extra quarter mile in, saw a different route, and watched a family of possums scurry across the road in front of me. Good times.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I run into enough trouble at work, I avoid it as much as possible outside of it. They were probably fine (cheering, good spirits, someone's 21st birthday from the sounds of it) but no sense in putting myself into a position of disadvantage for no reason. I got an extra quarter mile in, saw a different route, and watched a family of possums scurry across the road in front of me. Good times.
I know, I am just kidding.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Haha I know.

20170715:
9.35 miles on a very hilly trail at a park north from home. The map said it was only 8 miles with a 1299ft elevation but our GPS said we covered 9.35 miles in around 3:09. A small group of us did it then got lunch afterwards, a great time. Carried my usual load plus water.

This ruck actually finished the Pathfinder course for me two weeks early. I'm at 22/20 workouts (half have to be ruck workouts, I have 16), 90/75 miles, and 4/4 challenges (pass Army PFT, 12 mile timed ruck, GORUCK, and 8 mile mountain ruck). Good stuff.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170717:
TB Grunt cluster.

**OHP 80 x6/6/12.
**FSQ 120 x6/6/10.
**Pull-Ups (BW) x9/6 - hit rep goal of 15 in two sets.
**2HSW 28kg for 5x20.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170718:
2 mile cross country run in just over 25 minutes (goal was a sustainable and enjoyable pace, and it was) followed almost immediately by 50 burpees for time (7:17). Running beforehand takes the wind out of your sails for burpees big time, at least for me.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170719:
TB Grunt cluster, though had to cut it short as we had some company over. Got the presses (OHP 85x6/6/12) and front squats (125x6/6/9) in before they showed up. Pool party for my kids with their friends, hung out with their parents who are friends of ours, pool beers and grilling dogs. By the time they left I briefly considered fitting in the pull-ups and swings but being that I had a 0300 wake up call the next day for more PT, I decided to just turn in for the night instead and save it for the next day.

20170720:
My discipline faltered a bit. I decided to push the wake up time to 0330 instead of 0300, reasoning I would just hit the ground a bit quicker this time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, so I only ended up rucking 3 miles before I fit in my ruck PT. 3x20 of ruck push-ups, ruck overhead squats, ruck lunges, and ruck man makers (60 sec rest between sets and circuits). Bodyweight core circuit in the evening.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170722:
6 mile ruck on a local trail (average pace 17:14 but didn't stop timer when I hit the tree line twice and had to get rocks out of my boots once) then shot home and did ruck PT at home.

5 rounds of the following for time (I finished in 20 minutes):
**10 ruck man makers
https://youtu.be/9pNgSmfdkxE
**10 four count flutterkicks with ruck overhead
**10 ruck push ups
**10 ruck sit ups with ruck on chest

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Love reading your log, Grouchy. I like the way you train for different events, etc. Its really cool to see. Looking forward to logging again, myself.
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

nickgoldma wrote:Love reading your log, Grouchy. I like the way you train for different events, etc. Its really cool to see. Looking forward to logging again, myself.
Thanks Nick! This go around I'm sticking mostly to Fighter Bangkok + Green but trying to stay flexible for any curveballs life throws at me. I missed my SE work and had to do some miles over the weekend, so I went for a workout from a ruck training program that seemed fun. Some of them go a bit over the top for conditioning (I attribute my torn MCL during my first Tough due to one of those programs) so I much prefer TB as it's just the right amount.

20170724:
TB Grunt cluster. Late getting to gym so I only did presses and front squats there. Will update with pull-ups and swings later.

**OHP 95 x6/6/8.
**FSQ 135 x6/6/8.

Once at home...

**PU BW x6/6/3.
**2HSW 28kg x25/20/20/20/15.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170725:
Nice and easy 2 mile run (22:33) followed by 50 burpees for time (5:55). Keeping these runs comfortable and fun, not killing myself like I do for APFT attempts.