Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Placeholder for now, hoping this week I get cleared for PT once again.

I'm nearing a combined 20 years of US military and LE experience. I've been an athlete all my life (though not the most dedicated in school) and started strength training about 10 years ago. I was a strength sport and martial arts junkie, training several hours a week in each. Now I'm married with kids, much busier schedule and less free time, yet I still need a high level of fitness. Found Tactical Barbell last year and it's been great, I don't foresee ever straying from the TB base. Currently hitting some overuse injuries due to my lifestyle, but things are looking up.

I'll be doing a progressive approach similar to the BB variation mentioned under "Unconventional Approaches" in TB2. Essentially several times a week I will be running and doing pull-ups in the AM, and at night I'll be doing one-arm KB swings and Turkish get-ups. Goal is to increase slightly each week for a total of 10 weeks so I'll be starting at a conservative 15 minutes for the run and using 16kg (one set of 10 per arm and one TGU per arm), and eventually aiming to finish with 60 minutes for the run and using the 24kg for the one-arm swings (5x10 each arm) and TGUs (5x per arm).

Until then, just doing mobility and core work.

Barkadion

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Barkadion »

I have been thinking of running my next BB (a year from now) with the similar structure. I am very interested in your experience.

Good luck and please post your progress/thoughts/feelings as you move along.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Awesome! I hope you get cleared soon, injuries seem to be almost worse on your mental state than physical state when they persist.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Looking forward to this. Passed on your Go-Ruck prep posts (from the reddit) to a friend of mine.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Got my official diagnosis (herniated L5-S1 disc, protruding L4-L5 disc) but recovery has been going well. Had a setback a week after I started this, so I'm still working towards full recovery and getting the go ahead to PT again. Figured I'd just update.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Swift recovery matey.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Swift recovery matey.
Thanks THLE. Eager to get back to it. The family went to a Spartan Race over the weekend (wife ran the Sprint, sons ran the half mile Kids race) and I've been feeling the itch to get moving big time since. Still need to play it safe though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Got my official diagnosis (herniated L5-S1 disc, protruding L4-L5 disc) but recovery has been going well. Had a setback a week after I started this, so I'm still working towards full recovery and getting the go ahead to PT again. Figured I'd just update.
Have a good recovery! It's not fun but doable. Good luck.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Good luck with the recovery fella. What core work and mobility drills you using?
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Moz69 wrote:Good luck with the recovery fella. What core work and mobility drills you using?
Just easy stuff now. Static holds in different positions and ROMWOD with some modifications as I have to avoid a lot of flexion still.