grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I have definitely had better ideas.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Still grinding.

Training of note - 10 mile ruck on Saturday where me and a handful of others took turns carrying dumb heavy stuff. Weights ranged from 80# to 40#, with sandbags, kettlebags, a log, and ammo cans. The 80# sandbags felt pretty comfortable, no issues at all.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Update - from April to now I took part in a virtual British tabbing (rucking) challenge again, the same one I did last year. Saw significant improvements in almost all the tests. Challenges included a 9 mile SAS speed march test, British Army Combat Fitness Test, the Budd workout (British equivalent of Murph), a sub 3 hour 12 mile time ruck with 20kg, a 9km march with 80+ pounds, and a three phase test over 28 hours during which I was dry fasting most of it and lost 9 pounds (don't recommend as regular training). Second time to finish.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

GORUCK Heavy in Washington, D.C. complete. Honoring the men who fought and died in WWII, specifically D-Day as it is the 77th anniversary. We started around 6pm on Friday. We rucked over 41 miles in the heat (mid 60s at night, high 90s during the day) carrying tons of sandbags and jerry cans. We did hundreds of reps of exercises - eight count bodybuilders, push-ups, squats, flutter kicks, mountain climbers, presses. We went up and down the Exorcist stairs over a dozen times, bear crawled down steps and sprinted back up, and did a workout at the WWII memorial for the fallen. We finished on Saturday around 6pm, so a full 24 hours of work. Great day.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I saw over the weekend that the last Allied liberator of Auschwitz died. That one hit pretty hard.

Congrats, Grouchy. Good stuff.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Congrats Grauchy.. as always.. it looks scary to me.. lol
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Haha just throw in a mini selection event for fun on the weekend. Why not hahaha

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks gents. It was a damn good day.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

So just to update here a bit -

After the Heavy in June, training was a bit more laid back as my wife was preparing for her own athletic event and I wanted her to have priority. I kept busy with sandbag workouts, running, Iron Wolf burpee workouts, and the occasional Hero WOD (Antonik being my personal favorite). In July I did a lot of camping with my sons, so I mostly focused on burpees, pull-ups, and running that month. Then back to the usual work for August and the first half of September.

This week I have started a Green template with the goal of running my first 50k trail run in December. Twice a week will be MS/SE (depending on the week), and 3-4 other days will be running (on average one weekly long run, one interval run, and 1-2 easy recovery runs with some simple core work on those days). Stew Smith mobility day to be worked in regularly. Nothing worth posting up here, just sharing my current goal.