Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I use a 5.11 Rush 72 pack. It's a solid choice.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Ru ... B00YX7R0M2

However, if you want a ruck just for PT purposes, I've been hearing awesome things about the Rucker. It's a bit more expensive but supposedly a lot more comfortable.

http://www.goruck.com/rucker-black-w-gr ... EAR-000575

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170228:
Ruck HIC. I had an idea I wanted to try, but due to a busy early morning I was unable to try it out. I ended up for the boring old treadmill for this one. 20% BW for 3 rounds of 10 minutes at 4mph (5 min rest between sets). Only got in some casual plank work due to a busy day, but overall it was good.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Busy week last week, had to miss some training. Overtime at work, did some electrical work at church, then visited family for the weekend.

20170306:
Stand Alone Training. 30 minutes of interval running (4.2/5.2/6.2mph), then 20 minutes of EMOM circuit training. 16 pull-ups, 48 ruck push-ups, 48 ruck overhead squats, 48 ab wheel rollouts, and 48 two handed swings.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170307:
Tried out an "Apex Ruck" today, I guess you could call it. Still sticking with DovX's ruck HIC protocol but decided to stick to a nearby monster of a hill. During the work periods, I would ruck up the hill on the street (just shy of 100m) and then walk back down the city steps next to it. Repeat as many times as I could - when the rest period rang, I would just stand and catch my breath holding onto the railing. Managed 8 "sprints" total during my work periods (3 rounds of 10 minutes - 2 min rest between) with 20% BW. It smoked me like a cheap cigar - my legs were trembling as I stood waiting for the third round. I liked it.

Here's the hill. It looks much nicer than it is.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:20170307:
Tried out an "Apex Ruck" today, I guess you could call it. Still sticking with DovX's ruck HIC protocol but decided to stick to a nearby monster of a hill. During the work periods, I would ruck up the hill on the street (just shy of 100m) and then walk back down the city steps next to it. Repeat as many times as I could - when the rest period rang, I would just stand and catch my breath holding onto the railing. Managed 8 "sprints" total during my work periods (3 rounds of 10 minutes - 2 min rest between) with 20% BW. It smoked me like a cheap cigar - my legs were trembling as I stood waiting for the third round. I liked it.

Here's the hill. It looks much nicer than it is.
Looks like summer and makes me grouchy too :lol:

Just kidding. Huge hill.. Did you march or run up the hill?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

It was raining pretty steadily at 0430, so not quite the same as the photo :)

Marched up as fast as I could. First two were fairly quick, by the time I was hitting 5-6 in I started off at a good clip but quickly reverted to the "maybe pushing down on my thighs will help me walk up faster" tactic.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:It was raining pretty steadily at 0430, so not quite the same as the photo :)

Marched up as fast as I could. First two were fairly quick, by the time I was hitting 5-6 in I started off at a good clip but quickly reverted to the "maybe pushing down on my thighs will help me walk up faster" tactic.
Great! I'd did something similar to that with pushing double stroller with my twins. I've covered 2.5 smaller hills. I wanted to beg for mercy, but my girls kept giggling at me.. So, I swallowed the sweat :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

No PT on Thursday, busy day at work where I strained my calf a bit. Took it easy the next two days (aside from dodgeball with the kids at MMA) then got a good ruck in this morning.

20170311:
"Fun ruck". Rucked around 5 miles on a hilly route nearby with my event weight, ~15% BW. Every 15 minutes the timer would go off and I would do an exercise for a set period (90 sec seems perfect). Mostly alternated between walking lunges and bear crawls, but at the end I did decline push ups while wearing the ruck. 18:15 pace approximately and did 6 sets of PT. Plank circuit and some gripwork later.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170313:
Stand Alone Training. Very little motivation going into my workout today so I made some adjustments. Running was good (changed my 30 minute intervals to 5mph x60 sec, 6mph x30 sec, 4mph x30 sec), I actually enjoyed that.

The ruck PT was what I was dreading as I thought it was going to be monotonous today. So I improvised adapted and overcame. Every 2 minutes I did bodyweight pull-ups, push-ups, and squats then rested until the end of that two minutes. So overall I did 10 sets of each exercise in 20 minutes. Basically a "Murph"-style workout which I aim to do this year. 30 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 150 squats. Definitely need to focus more on pull ups this next training cycle especially as I refuse to kip them.

Finished with some flutter kicks and hello dollies for old times sake, 25 four counts of each (50 reps per exercise). Tried to do it straight through but had to touch the floor twice. Good times today. Might have to take it easy tomorrow but it was worth it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170314:
Ruck HIC today. Feeling froggy despite the workout yesterday. Today was a tough but good one. 25% BW (ended up being a 53# pack) for two sets of 10 minutes up and down that killer hill with 5 minutes of rest between the two sets. Hit 6 "sprints" right when the timer went off.

Core and grip training later.