Grouchyjarhead Training

Green2Blue

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Green2Blue »

I have to be honest, when I saw this log updated I was excited, and then subsequently disappointed lol. But seriously, best of luck on your recovery.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Officially cleared to get back to it, just need to keep things light. So here's my approach.

Modified Base Building (running, pull-ups, swings, get-ups). Warm up with Original Strength in the AM, then go for a run/ruck right after. I'll probably be alternating the two for a bit before I try back to back running. Get home, do my pull-ups and planks. That evening, when I get home from work I'll hop right into some Original Strength to warm-up (very brief warm-up, it's maybe 5 minutes) then fit in my swings and get-ups. Then I'll have a bit of downtime before bed, when the wife and I usually like to fit in the day's ROMWOD. Goal is to do this at least four times a week, goal is 5x. Everything submaximal.

Starting very light on everything. 15 minute endurance sessions, 16kg kettlebell (one set of each), 20# pack.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Officially cleared to get back to it, just need to keep things light. So here's my approach.

Modified Base Building (running, pull-ups, swings, get-ups). Warm up with Original Strength in the AM, then go for a run/ruck right after. I'll probably be alternating the two for a bit before I try back to back running. Get home, do my pull-ups and planks. That evening, when I get home from work I'll hop right into some Original Strength to warm-up (very brief warm-up, it's maybe 5 minutes) then fit in my swings and get-ups. Then I'll have a bit of downtime before bed, when the wife and I usually like to fit in the day's ROMWOD. Goal is to do this at least four times a week, goal is 5x. Everything submaximal.

Starting very light on everything. 15 minute endurance sessions, 16kg kettlebell (one set of each), 20# pack.
Best of luck with your training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Officially cleared to get back to it, just need to keep things light. So here's my approach.

Good luck and get after it! Looking forward to seeing you progress!
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Week One Modified BB.

20161026:
**5 minute Original Strength warm-up.
**15 minute run (prescribing to 180-age). Had to fast walk some steep inclines to keep in pace which stinks but long term this will be ideal. 5 minute rest.
**2 sets of strict dead hang pull-ups.
**One arm swings with 16kg - 1x10 each hand.
**TGU with 16kg - 1x each hand. Last three kept a short rest in between, just enough to recover.

Planks and ROMWOD before work. Total time 36 minutes not counting those.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Grouchy it's great to see you cleared to train again! I'm looking forward to seeing how this comeback unfolds.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks J-Madd!

20161027:
Worked until 3am, so slept in a bit today before we began the festivities for my youngest's birthday. Got in my warm-up, swings, TGUs, pull-ups, and planks, now getting ready to hit the trampoline park. Once they're in bed, a short run before ROMWOD with the lovely bride.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Thanks J-Madd!

20161027:
Worked until 3am, so slept in a bit today before we began the festivities for my youngest's birthday. Got in my warm-up, swings, TGUs, pull-ups, and planks, now getting ready to hit the trampoline park. Once they're in bed, a short run before ROMWOD with the lovely bride.
Happy birthday Grouchy Jr.!

Watch your back on those trampolines. ;)

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Week One Modified BB.

20161026:
**5 minute Original Strength warm-up.
**15 minute run (prescribing to 180-age). Had to fast walk some steep inclines to keep in pace which stinks but long term this will be ideal. 5 minute rest.
**2 sets of strict dead hang pull-ups.
**One arm swings with 16kg - 1x10 each hand.
**TGU with 16kg - 1x each hand. Last three kept a short rest in between, just enough to recover.

Planks and ROMWOD before work. Total time 36 minutes not counting those.
Is ROMWOD good? I just looked it up and looks like its mobility based? Just curious.
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Haha, no trampolines for me unfortunately. And yes I like ROMWOD a lot. It's basically really slow yoga without all the spiritual stuff. You're working through maybe a dozen set poses but there's always variations and you're usually holding them for anywhere from 1-3 minutes.

20161028:
Did most of my PT in AM, as Fridays are busy due to the boys' MMA class (long one on Fridays as they play dodgeball after). Saved the running and ROMWOD for the evening. Same stuff as all week, but running was a big improvement already. Only third run in and I ran the whole 15 minutes. Albeit slow, after 6 months of inactivity due to injury I'll take a 15 minute near one mile run without stopping for the first week.

Definitely could use a day though, so I may try a MTWFS approach next week. Four days in a row might be a bit too much for me, as I can feel the faintest twinge of sciatica so a day off might be the right idea.