Grouchyjarhead Training

Tym87

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I tried a lot of different grip challenges before but never bending to be honest.

Thanks Tym87! Went shooting and then dinner and drinks with a few Marine friends, then dry firing after some spirited arguments and instruction over pistol marksmanship. Typical Marine get-together :lol:
Sounds about right!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Starting Week 5 of the modified BB.

35 minute run, 50 continuous two-handed swings with the 16kg, 15 total pull-ups, and one round of a circuit of planks. Original Strength movements to warm up, ROMWOD at night. Still not running at a super fast pace, but got close to 2.5 miles for my run which is a far cry better than my first one where I ran maybe 8/10ths of a mile in 15 minutes. Swings also feel super easy, pull-up numbers slowly climbing back up, so all is well. A bit of tingling on the left side but I've also been deskbound a lot at work lately which is unusual so it could be contributing.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Only got three workouts in last week, MTW. Friday the back was feeling odd and my right knee was bothering me, then yesterday and most of today the wife and I were celebrating our anniversary for a few nights on the town but I'm feeling better and ready to start Week 6.

Part of it was slacking a bit on my mobility work, so I'm definitely giving it a good focus this week and not cutting any corners. 40 minute run, 60 swings, 15 total pull-ups, and now two rounds of the plank circuit (one morning, one evening).

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20161128:
Extra rest was just what I needed. 40 minute run (though only covered 2.7 miles - first half was great, second half broke me off going up the same massive hill and I had to walk a lot to get my HR back down) after a good solid mobility warm-up, feeling great. Pull-ups improving well too - started W1 with a measly 2 due to being unable to do them for months. Now I'm cranking out 6-7 reps per set (7,6,2 for my required 15 today). Swings are also getting easy - up to 60 now and I have done them all continuous to this point (non-stop) with keeping a critical eye on form with no issues. Very much enjoying the modified BB.

Aiming for four workouts this week - 5 might be a bit tough on me now that the times are getting longer but if I can fit it in around a family event going on this week I'll get 5.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20161226:
Just as an update, had to take some steps back after it started flaring up again. Nothing where it used to be, but still bad enough to delay any physical activity. Goal is to be pain-free and to pass a physical fitness test in March for a new job opportunity. Nothing fancy (1 min push-ups, 1 min sit-ups, 1.5 mile run) but the only issue now is the sit-ups due to the disc.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170102:
Light PT today. 30 minutes of a self-designed rehab circuit just using exercises I've been recommended. Includes myofascial release, mobility exercises, stretches, and static core work. So far being consistent with this and standing most of my shift has done wonders for me. I can wear my duty belt all shift with very little issues now and have been more proactive.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170103:
First legit PT session I've had in a while. Very conservative. I'm doing some scaled Stand Alone Training courtesy of Paul Roarke's EPRS approach from Corps Strength. No TB protocols for me just yet.

Quick warm-up, 20 minutes of interval running, about 15 minutes of calisthenics, and a quick cool down for a total of 43 minutes. Did mobility work later on in the day. Everything felt good.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:20170103:
First legit PT session I've had in a while. Very conservative. I'm doing some scaled Stand Alone Training courtesy of Paul Roarke's EPRS approach from Corps Strength. No TB protocols for me just yet.

Quick warm-up, 20 minutes of interval running, about 15 minutes of calisthenics, and a quick cool down for a total of 43 minutes. Did mobility work later on in the day. Everything felt good.
SAT never fails! It seems that Roarke's website is now defunct. That's too bad, I always like following is daily training log. In any event, I'm glad you are getting back on your feet.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks J-Madd! That's my thought process too, especially as there's an upcoming fitness test I'm looking to do for a new job falls right within those parameters perfectly.

20170104:
"Flexible Steel" training this morning. Basically three supersets of strengthening and stretching exercises. Good system, recommend it.

30 minute mobility/core circuit tonight.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170108:
Stand Alone Training today. 0430 to 0509 - 39 minutes total. Warm-up, 20 minutes of interval running, 12 work sets of exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, goblet squats, sit-ups, eight count bodybuilders, hanging knee raises), cool-down/stretches. My goal is to typically get up by 0400, get my coffee and Bible in, clear out the engine for about 10 minutes, then get ready to go.