Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170110:
Stand Alone Training again. Nothing fancy, just getting the work in.

On non-SAT days, I have taken to wearing a light ruck (20#) as I walk my dog and it seems to be working wonders for my back.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170114:
Stand Alone Training, Level II workout.
**Warm-up with mobility work/light stretches ~5 minutes.
**Interval running for 20 minutes (working up to a steady 4/5/6mph, then going from there).
**"Mission" - Roughly 15 minutes. Overall did 9 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 20 goblet squats, 30 sit-ups, 30 KB sumo deadlifts, and 14 eight count bodybuilders.
**Cool-down/stretching ~5 minutes.

Figured I may as well get more detailed. Considering months of inactivity and pain I'd say I'm doing alright all things considered. Nothing awesome... Yet.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170117:
Short little ruck march with my boys, nice slow pace and not far at all but they had fun. Each carried a light weight in their backpack and enjoyed it.

20170118:
Stand Alone Training, Level II workout.
**Warm-up with mobility work/light stretches ~5 minutes.
**Interval running for 20 minutes (working up to a steady 4/5/6mph, then going from there).
**"Mission" - Roughly 15 minutes. Overall did 8 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 30 goblet squats, 30 sit-ups, 30 KB sumo deadlifts, and 14 burpees.
**Cool-down/stretching ~5 minutes.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170121:
Stand Alone Training. 20 minutes of interval running (4/5/6mph) followed by the Mission. 8 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 30 goblet squats, 30 sit-ups, 30 KB sumo deadlifts, 14 burpees.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170123:
Yoga class with the wife, maybe 40 minutes total.

20170125:
Stand Alone Training. 20 minutes of interval running (4/5/6mph) followed by circuit training. 9 pull-ups, 35 push-ups, 35 goblet squats, 35 sit-ups. Had to cut it a bit short today as I got a late start before work.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Missed posting the last workout or two.

20170201:
Stand Alone Training. Ran for 20 minutes (4.2/5.2/6.2) and then did the mission portion. 10 pull-ups, 35 push-ups, 35 sit-ups, 35 goblet squats, 15 burpees, 15 ab wheel roll-outs from the knee.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20170204:
Long ruck to test myself out and see if I could handle a GoRuck. The wife and I, plus two friends, did a 10 miles cross country ruck at around a 20 minute pace. Nice hilly route on a few different trails. I went with just 10% of my body weight as a load, wanted to be conservative. Definitely a bit sore but otherwise handled it really well. Because of that I'm eyeballing an event in April.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Finally working on a serious schedule now. Aiming for four workouts a week - two Stand Alone Training sessions (running + ruck PT), one ruck HIC day (courtesy of DovX on here), and one ruck-focused day (alternating a long/light ruck and a "fun ruck" session). If I can do this prep with no issues, I plan on adding back in the barbell come April.

20170206:
Took an extra day off to recover from the last ruck. Slept poorly, still had a lot of DOMS, busy day at work. Much needed.

20170207:
Ruck HIC. Starting light, especially since my load for the Light will only be 10% BW. 15% load on a moderately flat trail. 10 minutes of fast walking, rest 2 minutes, repeat 3x. I managed 1.85 miles, so about a 16:13 pace. Not bad for some rucking in the rain. I think I might get more out of it hitting a very hilly area ("Apex Ruck"?) so I'm going to try that next week. Had plenty of time to warm up, cool down, and eat before it was Triple S and work time.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I think I might get more out of it hitting a very hilly area ("Apex Ruck"?) so I'm going to try that next week.
I have a monster 200+ yard hill up the MO bluff about 1/2 from my house. I've been tempted to put on a 50lbs weight vest and fast walk up and down with push-ups at the top. That would be a a sort of Apex Ruck. I think you're inspiring me to try it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Let me know how it goes J-Madd!

20170209:
Stand Alone Training this morning. I was aiming for a Level 3 workout (60 minutes total), but we got hammered with snow last night so I needed some extra time to shovel off and scrape the car to make it to work on time so I went with a Level 2 instead (45 minutes). I usually stay up later than I'd like on Wednesdays due to family obligations so there was a bit of fatigue as well.

**Warm-Up: 5 minutes.
**Pre-Fatigue Training: 20 minutes of interval running (4-5-6 today, feeling a bit sluggish this morning).
**Mission: "Incentive Training", 15 minutes EMOM, a conservative 10 RPM. Bodyweight pull-ups, rucksack push-ups, rucksack overhead squats, ab wheel roll-outs from the knees, and rucksack lunges. Total of 12 pull-ups and 30 of the other exercises. Rucksack was weighted to 20#, the event weight. This time I plan on keeping the times pretty close but slowly increasing volume (e.g. one week 10 reps, next week 12 reps, and so forth).
**Cool-Down: 5 minutes, had to skip a few but I will do them tonight.
**Supplementary grip work - 5 singles with the Captains of Crush #2 throughout the day, very close to closing it once again.