close_fox TB Log

close_fox

Re: close_fox TB Log

Post by close_fox »

Update on my wife's TB progress:

Blocks:
1: BB (Strength First)
2: Operator + Black (cluster = BP/SQ/Asst. PU)
3: Operator + Black (cluster = BP/FSQ/Asst. PU)
4 (Present): Fighter + Green (cluster = BP/RDL/KB squat/Asst. PU)

She is now on her Block 4 (Fighter + Green). At the end of Block 2, SQ was giving her trouble with some old injury repair (surgery) locations. She switched to FSQ for Block 3, and that worked OK until it didn't (week 5). She was feeling some warning signs, so obviously she stopped. Her body just can't currently squat heavy. I'm confident she could fix her SQ and/or FSQ with some qualified coaching and perhaps physical therapy (something not readily available in our current location). But she doesn't need to (and doesn't want to either). She can KB squat and RDL with zero issues. Those are her favorite lower body moves anyway. So she is going with those lifts in her cluster. RDL is her primary lower body move, and KB squat is an accessory I guess. She's squatting and hinging the best way she can, so it makes sense.

The move to Fighter + Green surprised me. She usually likes MS and HIC more than E. But she likes Fighter + Green so far. Her E is long walks of varying intensity.

Anyway, I'm logging this here because she isn't keeping notes anywhere.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 2

2.1 & 2.5
MS
Swing 20
WPU
Swing 20
FSQ
Swing 20
BP
Swing 20

HIC
Fast Five (20min cap)
Started with heavy legs. I'm feeling the KB weight increase. Really scraped on min 11-13. Much better after that.

MS
WPU and FSQ were especially heavy. No surprise for 80% week.

HIC
60:120x6

Rest
Should have been E. No time to train.

E
Run 32 min
Didn't want to end the week with a missed session. First 10min was rough. Opened up after that and started having a really good run.
Cut it off at 32min because Day 3.1 is tomorrow. Glad I got the session done, but it set me up to train seven consecutive days. Not ideal.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 3

MS
Swing 20
WPU
Swing 20
FSQ
Swing 20
BP (swing 10 after BP set 1)
Swing 20

WPU heavy. FSQ heavy.

HIC (easy week)
Fast 5 (cut off at 17:xx)
Almost forgot it was easy week. Should have cut off at 15min

Rest

MS
WPU
FSQ
BP

WPU and FSQ heavy. BP light.

E
28min run
Target was 30min w/ negative split. Out in 16, back in 12. Really good push on the back half. Had more, but shut it down due to easy week.

Double

MS
Swing 20
BP 1
Swing 20
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
Swing 20
FSQ
WPU
Swing 10

HIC
Sandbag shuttle run (down/back carrying sandbag, down/back unloaded)
4 reps, about 60sec each, 120sec rest

Thinking about running Fighter Bangkok + Green next block. I am in my 3rd consecutive block of Op + Black Pro. Starting to hit a wall mentally and somewhat physically. I like the sound of some long runs (more than once per week). Three more weeks to think about it.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 4

MS

Swing 20
Swing 20
WPU
FSQ
Swing 20
BP
Swing 10

Shoulder pain after WPU. Felt better after BP. Terrible FSQ day. Maybe worst squat day since starting TB.

HIC
Fast 5 (20min run)

Rough start. Last 10min was pretty good.

MS

All 3min rest
BP
FSQ
WPU

HIC
60:120x6

MS
Swing 20
BP 1
Swing 20
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
FSQ
WPU
Swing 10

E
Run 56min (30min out, 26min back)

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 5

MS
Swing 20
BP
Swing 20
FSQ
Swing 20
WPU
Swing 20

CANX

HIC
Fast 5 (20min cap)
Out 10, back 8. Hard push last 4min. Good run.

Double (to account for 5.2 canx)

MS
BP
FSQ
WPU

10min rest

HIC
Sandbag shuttle run
6 reps, about 60sec each, 120sec rest

E
40min run
Wanted 60min, but didn't have time.

MS
Swing 20
BP 1
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
Swing 20
FSQ
WPQ
Swing 20

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

close_fox wrote:Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 5

MS
Swing 20
BP
Swing 20
FSQ
Swing 20
WPU
Swing 20

CANX

HIC
Fast 5 (20min cap)
Out 10, back 8. Hard push last 4min. Good run.

Double (to account for 5.2 canx)

MS
BP
FSQ
WPU

10min rest

HIC
Sandbag shuttle run
6 reps, about 60sec each, 120sec rest

E
40min run
Wanted 60min, but didn't have time.

MS
Swing 20
BP 1
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
Swing 20
FSQ
WPQ
Swing 20
What is CANX?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Barkadion wrote:

What is CANX?
Abbreviation for cancelled.

Block 15
Operator + Black Pro
Week 6

MS
2 reps per set
KB swings during BP and after WPU

HIC (easy week)
Fast 5 (15 minute cap)

MS
1 rep per set
BP and WPU felt heavy. WPU felt great.

HIC (easy week)
60:120x4

MS
1 rep per set
BP 1
Swing 20
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
Swing 20
FSQ
Swing 20
WPU
Swing 10

E
Run 30min

Another block completed. Time to look back at the progress I've made and decide what's next.

I have completed the following blocks. I think all were six weeks (eight for BB), except as noted.

0: 4 week BB on-ramp
1: BB
2: Op + Black
3A: Op + Black Pro (three weeks)
3B: PFT prep (three weeks)
4: Op + Black Pro
5: BB
6: Op I/A + Green? (30min runs)
7: Op I/A + Green? (2xE, 1xHIC)
8: Op I/A + PFT prep
9: Op + Black
10: Op + Black Pro
11: Op + Black Pro
11.1: PFT Prep (two weeks…SE + running)
11.2: Op + Black Pro (four weeks)
12: BB (strength first)
13: Op + Black Pro w/ KB swings and some SE
14: Op + Black Pro w/ AA KB swings
15: Op + Black Pro w/ AA KB swings

Op and Black Pro has served me well, and I will definitely be back. Operator's MS results are undeniable. Black Pro is good conditioning, but I want to really scratch a running itch. 2xHIC and 1xE isn't getting me all the way there.

I am going to do a couple phases of run focused training. First, I need to build a training base. I will probably use this program for nine weeks. It's similar to one I used in the past (and can't locate now): https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a ... ning-base/

After that, I will focus on a race distance and get specific. Probably 5K, maybe 10K. The plan is to peak when I am on leave and do a race.

Of course, I can't abandon MS. I will be running Fighter with my usual cluster of BP/FSQ/WPU.

I need some SE too, so I might make it Fighter Bangkok. Or I might drop MS at some point for a few weeks in favor of SE.

All that adds up to several months of what I'm calling Fighter + Green (four days per week of running...eventually maybe five days).

Background considerations:

I still owe six weeks of Ageless Athlete KB swing progression. AA's regular, progressive KB swings have been a great addition to my training. I used my 35lb bell for Block 14 and my 44lb bell for Block 15. I will use my 53lb bell for the first six weeks of Block 16. After that, I might turn my posterior chain work to one day of KB swings and 1 day of RDLs. We'll see.

I need more core conditioning. FSQ and WPU definitely work the core. But I am tested on crunches. I have not done a crunch in who knows how long. I have to get those in, along with push-ups, before my next PFT.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck with FB.. looking forward to reading your log and seeing running training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 16
Fighter Bangkok + Green (as run training base program)
Week 1

1.1 & 1.4
MS

Swing 20
BP warmup
Swing 20
BP 1
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
FSQ
WPU
Swing 10

Run
45min easy

Run
Moderate tempo repeats
4min run : 2min walk x 4

Run
36min (+3min before I remembered to turn on my app)

SE
Alpha circuit x2
Push-up 10
Sit-up 10
Pull-up 5
Step-up (per leg) 10
No rest between exercises
2min rest between circuits

Run
60min easy. Forgot to turn on app for first few minutes.

Alpha circuit x1 (no step-ups)

Weekly mileage: 13.33 miles. Probably more like 15. I forgot to turn on the app for the first few minutes of two of my runs. I am trying to use a running app to keep up with my mileage buildup. We'll see if I stick with it. I love the disconnected freedom of distance running, and being tethered to a watch (stopwatch), podcast, and now running app is a lot of ... connection.

1.6 SE felt GREAT. This was the first time I've done bodyweight pull-ups in a long time. They absolutely flew up. Granted, I was only doing sets of five. I was very tempted to do a max set.

MS felt great too. Force progression is a GO based on this week (will have to evaluate remaining weeks as well). I am going to rate potential force progression as GO / NO GO after each week. AA swing progression continues. I am on my heaviest KB (53lbs, which isn't that heavy) for this block.

I'm planning Block 16 to be 12 weeks. The run program I'm using builds up intensity (mileage) for three weeks, then repeats. Much like Fighter. So I will ride that wave for nine weeks. Then three weeks of long easy runs and SE while I am on leave.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Block 16
Fighter Bangkok + Green
Week 2

Run
50min easy

My app (Nike Run Club) did not plot the first 1/2 of my run. Pretty annoying. It worked for the back 1/2 of the run. Anyway, slow run. More bricks in the wall. Nothing too much to write about.

2.2 & 2.4
MS

Swing 20
BP warmup
Swing 20
BP 1
Swing 20
BP 2
Swing 20
BP 3
FSQ sets
WPU sets

2.2 Force progression = GO
2.4 Felt heavier but FP = GO. Bad grip on WPU set 2. Slipped off twice. WPQ didn’t feel great. Had a few drinks last night. Paid for it during this workout.

Run
41min easy w/ 6x30sec pick-ups at tempo pace
+ another 8min at the beginning when I forgot to turn on the app. Guessing I am going to pay for that in 2.4’s lift.

Run
38min easy

Rest
Not ideal. Means I will have to roll straight into week 3 after a long run on 2.7.

SE
Push-up 20 15 10
Sit-up 20 15 10
Pull-up 8 7 5
Step up 20 15 10
(Circuit x3. No rest between exercises. 2min rest between circuits.)

Rest 10min

Run
1:21; 50min slow + 25min moderate + 6min extra because I wasn’t quite back home yet and didn’t want to walk in the dark.

Everything felt good this week. Fighter Bangkok + Green feels like a good balance. Run volume is going up slowly. No issues so far.